Internet Speed - Router vs Device?

I have Fios in the basement where I work with their 1G Streaming service. Is it normal to have such a difference between Router speed and Device? I'm using WiFi. Router/Modem is right next to PC so distance isn't an issue.

1683032394744.jpg

1683032411472.jpg

Not sure you're aware of this but net company's like Verizon, Comcast will "throttle" your connection. Have you done a system dump lately?

Not sure you're aware of this but net company's like Version, Comcast will "throttle" your connection. Have you done a system dump lately?
I wasn't aware of that. What does that mean? Sorry I know nothing about this.

Throttle is nothing more than limited or allowing a limited amount of bandwidth even though your paying for more Data etc. They throttle ones connection because you're getting to close to your limit or you've went over your usage limit. System dump or FlushDNS would be suggested. It's like paying for a 32GB ram chip and when you scan the chip, there 10% data already on it which can't be removed.. So what are you really paying for.

One other issue is that when one used wifi or bluetooth, you're system is inundated with unwanted searchers or sniffers. Depending on how secure your system is, it weather or not anyone can pull up in front of you home access your system and use the wifi etc. I'd be thinking of going hardwire instead of wifi

Last edited:
I did read this too:

"Device speed will never be as fast as server to router (home) due to factors like WiFi or nic cards in your device cannot or will not handle those speeds. There are also other limitations such as processor speeds and ram and cables to the router, type of device which may have limitations like type of hard drive etc."

There are different standards for wifi. To simplify for the consumer, the ones presently in use are known as WiFi 4 WiFi 5 and WiFi 6. It's very similar to the G numbers on cell phone technology. When a device connects to a router, the highest standard supported by both will be used. WiFi 6 is really the only one that can deliver full Gb speed to a device-- this requires both the router and the device to be WiFi6 capable.

Also there are different levels of performance within each standard such as 2x2 or 4x4 but I'm trying to keep it simple.

There are different standards for wifi. To simplify for the consumer, the ones presently in use are known as WiFi 4 WiFi 5 and WiFi 6. It's very similar to the G numbers on cell phone technology. When a device connects to a router, the highest standard supported by both will be used. WiFi 6 is really the only one that can deliver full Gb speed to a device-- this requires both the router and the device to be WiFi6 capable.

Also there are different levels of performance within each standard such as 2x2 or 4x4 but I'm trying to keep it simple.
So for the numbers I posted, it's not unusual then for the Device speed to be lower.

True, if you're on a router rental plan I would get off that and locate a personal router/gateway that can handle the speeds your looking for. Plus make sure it has multi RJ-45 or UBS / Firewire ports for multiple devices.

Then there's the firewall settings and port sniffers as I said above.. just plugging into the net isn't good enough anymore.. you have to constantly scan your system remove unwanted apps or keyloggers etc.

Last edited:
Just did a FlushDNS. No difference. I think it's lower due to connecting via Wifi.

There could be items when you're viewing a site or using an online programs that requires their system to hop form one location to another.. keep track of these outages with sites like (is what ever site online) it should show you outages in your area and if there isn't any and you have to cross and area where they are outages.. this would slow down your system as well. if you know how to perform a flushdns than you don't need my suggestions anymore.

Thanks. (y) Connection is never an issue as it's been reliable. I just never paid much attention to the Speed Test and noticed for the first time today the difference between Router and Device.

One other thing that might help, if you on a community line, best disconnect the router/system for a short and reconnect afterwards.. its like the system gets bottle necked or backed up so it's good to let things cool down then reconnect plus you'll get a new ip.

Missed something.. you said 1G did you mean T1? as both of these are different types of connections

This is going to be largely dependent on the devices that are connected to your router. You can have the fastest internet connection on earth but still experience bottlenecks in bandwidth if your router is slow and/or if your devices are slow.
I have an on iPhone 4 whose WiFi is only slightly faster than me writing a URL down on a piece of paper, walking it over to my router and sliding it underneath. No router and no fancy-pants internet service is going to save that thing.

One other thing that might help, if you on a community line, best disconnect the router/system for a short and reconnect afterwards.. its like the system gets bottle necked or backed up so it's good to let things cool down then reconnect plus you'll get a new ip.

Missed something.. you said 1G did you mean T1? as both of these are different types of connections
1 Gig streaming.

There are countless factors at play here. You asked

it's not unusual then for the Device speed to be lower.
and no, it's not unusual. It's not always the case either. At home, we pay for 300 Mb/s download and I routinely get 350 Mb/s on speed tests using my laptop, iPhone, etc, all connected with WiFi.

This was in settings. Looking at what WiFi card is in my pc.

1683036041010.jpg

Houston you have a problem, with that said, your speeds are plenty fast. But you're not getting what you pay for by any means..
1. Have you tried different devices to do the speed test?
2. How about testing with a up to date cell phone?
3. Have you tried selecting a few different speed test sites? A simple search will turn up many.

We pay for 300 Mbps fiber service @ $57 a month actual payment.
I LOVE my wireless router, even though it is dated in the router world as it is an "N" router. The range is fantastic (I've been computing since 1995) router still in production and rock solid all the time. Since I "only" have 300 Mbps service and this router claims its good up to a gig I dont need the latest router classification, all I need is the great range and I got it, as well as rock solid performance.

After seeing your post I ran a quick test/ from my couple year old Mac mini Desktop. During the test my wife is also connected using our connection though the router (works from home) using a power line adapter to the router.
Her company supplied Dell Workstation is pretty involved including vpn to her corporate headquarters, internet office phone set up, also our home phone line uses the router as well.

Here is the router I use and its been $100 for years = https://www.motorola.com/us/mr2600/p
Here is the speediest site = https://www.speedtest.net/
Here is my result on my 300 Mbps service, wifi connection with router two rooms away.

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 9.50.50 AM.jpg

How old is your computer / laptop ?

That network device is only capable of ~450 Mb/s max speed (theoretical). The actual, real-world speeds you're seeing make perfect sense.

What phone do you have ? Maybe try a speed test with it. If it's newer than 3 years old, it should have faster WiFi capability than 802.11n.

So I just tried a Fios speed test with my cell phone and got:

655 Download
676 Upload

Both are higher than my PC numbers (see above).

With that said, it sounds like it's my Wifi card in PC?

Back