Is there a problem with my Wi-FI Router, or?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GemStater
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I agree with JustinH on the hardware being not overly ideal.

GemStater: You have a router already, so you don't need a 2nd one. Whilst we turned your router into an access point, ultimately a dedicated access point worth a few dollars more would likely improve the situation and may resolve it completely.

Don't worry about the switch, it had nothing to do with the issue. The issue is a loss of performance from clients on the wireless side of the router/wireless unit, which persisted even when it was bridged properly. This points to that unit being the most likely source. To replace it, you want to shop for an access point, not another router. Your wired client already shows that your modem/gateway works well for what you've tasked it for.

This little guy on Amazon ASUS RP-AC56 Access Point would be a better fit. If you want to stick with netgear to keep everything the same, let me know and I'll table a similar suggestion from their product portfolio.

Well, darn it, I just ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2AZLD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But if there is a better fit for the money, please let me know. I'm all ears. I can cancel the order or return it.

If it's best to keep everything in the same brand, I'd take another NETGEAR suggestion as well.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, cancel that and get the access point I linked or the NETGEAR WAC510 AC Business Access Point but if you get the latter, make sure to get the AC adapter (shown as a suggested accessory) unless your switch does PoE.

GemStater: You have a router already, so you don't need a 2nd one. Whilst we turned your router into an access point, ultimately a dedicated access point worth a few dollars more would likely improve the situation and may resolve it completely.

Don't worry about the switch, it had nothing to do with the issue. The issue is a loss of performance from clients on the wireless side of the router/wireless unit, which persisted even when it was bridged properly. This points to that unit being the most likely source. To replace it, you want to shop for an access point, not another router. Your wired client already shows that your modem/gateway works well for what you've tasked it for.

This little guy on Amazon ASUS RP-AC56 Access Point would be a better fit. If you want to stick with netgear to keep everything the same, let me know and I'll table a similar suggestion from their product portfolio.

Well, darn it, I just ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2AZLD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But if there is a better fit for the money, please let me know. I'm all ears. I can cancel the order or return it.

If it's best to keep everything in the same brand, I'd take another NETGEAR suggestion as well.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, cancel that and get the access point I linked or the NETGEAR WAC510 AC Business Access Point but if you get the latter, make sure to get the AC adapter (shown as a suggested accessory) unless your switch does PoE.

On another note, I have until May 24th to return the NETGEAR modem/gateway. One thing I noticed about this modem is it seems to run warm. Since getting into this project, I've been hearing a few negatives about the NETGEAR brand. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to ditch it while I still have the window of oportunity.

Would I be better served by a 2-in-1 like this ASUS DSL-AC68U -> https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/DSLAC68U/

Thanks everyone.

On another note, I have until May 24th to return the NETGEAR modem/gateway. One thing I noticed about this modem is it seems to run warm. Since getting into this project, I've been hearing a few negatives about the NETGEAR brand. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to ditch it while I still have the window of oportunity.

Would I be better served by a 2-in-1 like this ASUS DSL-AC68U -> https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/DSLAC68U/

Strike that. Ordered the WAC510-100NAS.

Perfect! Let me know when it arrives. Did you get the power adapter or does your switch do PoE?

Not sure if my switch does PoE or not? I linked the switch on page 2. But, yes, I ordered the power adapter.

Perfect! Let me know when it arrives. Did you get the power adapter or does your switch do PoE?

Not sure if my switch does PoE or not? I linked the switch on page 2. But, yes, I ordered the power adapter.

It doesn't. Good to see you got the adapter, LOL!
wink.gif

I know you've already changed your mind, but I just wanted to say that, personally, I try to stay away from all-in-one type network devices. These devices become resource constrained when you ask them to perform multiple tasks at once, and quality of service suffers as a result, especially with heavy usage.

Right now I have a combo modem/router/wi-fi box from AT&T, but I've reconfigured it to only use the modem part of it, and let my other devices handle the rest.

But I can see attractiveness of these combo boxes to people who just want to press the 'On' switch and forget about any kind of network configuration and making connections.

So should I set-up the access point, when it arrives, the same way we did the router? Or will it be a different ball of wax?

So should I set-up the access point, when it arrives, the same way we did the router? Or will it be a different ball of wax?

It will be an entirely different ball of wax because it acts as a bridge by default, not a router, so there is no NAT to disable/circumvent. It should come with instructions, if they are puzzling, just post here or send me a PM and I'll help you out. Should be pretty straight-forward though.

It will be an entirely different ball of wax because it acts as a bridge by default, not a router, so there is no NAT to disable/circumvent. It should come with instructions, if they are puzzling, just post here or send me a PM and I'll help you out. Should be pretty straight-forward though.

Is this how I configure the network? - Page 13, figure 5 - http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC510/WAC510_UM_EN.pdf

If so, is it acceptable for the back LAN port on the Access Point to provide Ethernet access to a device?

Is this how I configure the network? - Page 13, figure 5 - http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC510/WAC510_UM_EN.pdf

If so, is it acceptable for the back LAN port on the Access Point to provide Ethernet access to a device?

Yes, and I would refrain from using it as a wired bridge, though I think you can in the configuration.

Okay, up and running. Thanks for all the help on this.

I did a speed test and... It's about the same as before, 17.92. There are many settings here. Anything else to check to help with the speed?

Okay, up and running. Thanks for all the help on this.

I did a speed test and... It's about the same as before, 17.92. There are many settings here. Anything else to check to help with the speed?

What's your signal strength like when compared to the previous unit?

See what your Youtube performance is like now, don't just go by the speedtest results (though I would expect wired and wireless to be very close given your ISP speed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back