Is there a problem with my Wi-FI Router, or?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Gemstater

Thanks for your patience.

My modem/gateway address is 192.168.5.1

Perfect.

My router address is 192.168.1.1

The LAN TCP/IP Setup on my router is:

IP Address: 192.168.1.1
IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

So change that to 192.168.5.254, as per my instructions.

When I change the router IP address to 192.168.5.254, I get the following message:

The IP address conflicts with the WAN IP Subnet.

Originally Posted By: GemStater

Perfect.

When I change the router IP address to 192.168.5.254, I get the following message:

Ahhh yes, this is because it is getting the WAN IP from the modem/gateway.

You have two options:

1. You can assign a static IP to the WAN in an entirely different subnet
2. You can unplug the ethernet cord from the WAN interface before trying to make the change.

Depending on how picky the software is, you may have to reboot it to allow you to make the change after disconnecting the cord, as it may still see the DHCP lease in its database and freak out.

Perfect.

Ahhh yes, this is because it is getting the WAN IP from the modem/gateway.

You have two options:

1. You can assign a static IP to the WAN in an entirely different subnet
2. You can unplug the ethernet cord from the WAN interface before trying to make the change.

Depending on how picky the software is, you may have to reboot it to allow you to make the change after disconnecting the cord, as it may still see the DHCP lease in its database and freak out.

I appreciate the help but this obviously above my head. I'll probably have to bit the bullet and call tech support... when I have a 5 hours to spare.

I appreciate the help but this obviously above my head. I'll probably have to bit the bullet and call tech support... when I have a 5 hours to spare.

It is quite simple, just unplug the cable from the router before trying to change the IP address to the 192.168.5.254 which is what is preventing you from doing it.

Although I have a rudimentary understanding how networks work I'll admit it's a little above my head too. Fascinating though and I enjoyed reading how OVERKILL diagnosed your problem.

Good luck

It is quite simple, just unplug the cable from the router before trying to change the IP address to the 192.168.5.254 which is what is preventing you from doing it.

Currently on the phone with Netgear. The tech is not concerned about "double-NAT". Says it is normal for Wi-Fi to be slower than the Ethernet wire. Having me change channels which does nothing. Had me change MTU size from 1500 to 1492 which does nothing with the speed. Then he says to monitor the speeds for 24 hours and them report back.

Yes. I did try to unplug the cable from the router. Then tried to change the IP address once again. But, got the same message as before: "The IP address conflicts with the WAN IP Subnet."

Currently on the phone with Netgear. The tech is not concerned about "double-NAT". Says it is normal for Wi-Fi to be slower than the Ethernet wire. Having me change channels which does nothing. Had me change MTU size from 1500 to 1492 which does nothing with the speed. Then he says to monitor the speeds for 24 hours and them report back.

He probably doesn't even know what double-NAT is.

This is VERY straight forward, you were 90% of the way there. I'm not saying it IS going to solve the speed issue, but it gets one issue out of the way, which is the double-encapsulation of packets for NAT/PAT, which is a networking no-no.

Go through the process you were going through, but unplug the router from the network before you do it, this removes the IP address it got from the modem/gateway, then make the IP change like you were doing, then save, and when you plug it back in, plug it into one of the LAN ports (the black ones in the picture you shared) NOT the WAN port (blue in that picture). That gets rid of the double-NAT and puts everything on one network, which is what you want.

The reason for the extra steps is to allow you to be able to manage both your modem/gateway as well as your router, which will now be an access point. Without changing that LAN IP, the management interfaces would exist on two separate subnets with only one of them accessible with the DHCP server turned off. It becomes a big management headache, whilst putting them on the same subnet gets rid of that issue.

Yes. I did try to unplug the cable from the router. Then tried to change the IP address once again. But, got the same message as before: "The IP address conflicts with the WAN IP Subnet."

OK, then you just need to power cycle it first so it doesn't have a WAN IP address. Unplug the cable, then unplug the power to it, then plug the power back in, wait for it to come back up and then change the IP. It won't have a WAN IP to conflict with at that point and should allow you to change it no problem.

Update!

Yes! I tried unplugging the router once again and it worked this time. So I successfully changed the router IP address to 192.168.5.254 and DHCP is turned OFF.

I tested all my speeds back-to-back and this is what I got:

Smart phone: 28mbps
iPad: 25mbps
PC via Ethernet 38mbps

Is this "normal" to have this spread in speed between Ethernet and Wi-Fi, or is the router doggy?

It is normal to have SOME spread, but when your WAN speed is as low as it is, a 10Mbit drop seems high. These results are at least better than what you were getting in the OP however.

Is the wireless device running the latest firmware?

For comparison purposes, this is from my iPhone that is on the 2nd floor (access point is on the first floor) on a 100/100 fibre connection:

This is my Macbook Pro on the same WiFi, same distance away:

Wired it will pull ~98Mbit, so wireless is definitely slower, but significantly faster than what you are getting.

It is normal to have SOME spread, but when your WAN speed is as low as it is, a 10Mbit drop seems high. These results are at least better than what you were getting in the OP however.

Is the wireless device running the latest firmware?

Yes, I checked the firmware. The router was up to date, but the modem/gateway needed updated so I updated it.

On another note, I took the switch out of the equation and moved the router to the basement. The speeds are the same as before with about a 10 point spread.

The router is the entry level unit from NETGEAR. Thinking about sending back for the next step up.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is YouTube now working fine for you or still buffering non-stop?

YouTube on the iPad is still a pile of [censored].

Weird. Maybe it's an iPad issue then?

Weird. Maybe it's an iPad issue then?

Well, it's no different with my phone. Also, my father-in law is visiting and noted buffering issues with his smart phone as well.

I'm not even watching stuff in full HD, so even with speeds of between 15-to-25mbps, shouldn't I be fine? That's why I was wondering if it is a YouTube issue?

Overkill has given perfect advise in this thread. The directions for the configuration is perfect, but I don't think the hardware is ideal.

Why does the OP need more than 20MBps on an ipad?

Surely you are not using that type of bandwidth on a single device, especially an ipad.

I would advise to purchase a 50 dollar AC gigabit router and call it a day.

Turn off the NAT on the garbage gateway and let the router do it.

Setup two SSID's, one for 5ghz, one for 2.4ghz, and try to connect your high usage items to the 5ghz network if they can.

My 2.4ghz band on my AC router gets no more than 30MBps down over wireless.

The 5ghz band usually gets near 100MBPS, which is very similar to ethernet connection.

The ipad is capable of seeing both bands, but most lower end devices can only see the low band anyways.

You can play with the wifi analyzer app and pick a channel not in use near your home on the low band, but for me this did not make much of a change.

I agree with JustinH on the hardware being not overly ideal.

GemStater: You have a router already, so you don't need a 2nd one. Whilst we turned your router into an access point, ultimately a dedicated access point worth a few dollars more would likely improve the situation and may resolve it completely.

Don't worry about the switch, it had nothing to do with the issue. The issue is a loss of performance from clients on the wireless side of the router/wireless unit, which persisted even when it was bridged properly. This points to that unit being the most likely source. To replace it, you want to shop for an access point, not another router. Your wired client already shows that your modem/gateway works well for what you've tasked it for.

This little guy on Amazon ASUS RP-AC56 Access Point would be a better fit. If you want to stick with netgear to keep everything the same, let me know and I'll table a similar suggestion from their product portfolio.

I agree with JustinH on the hardware being not overly ideal.

GemStater: You have a router already, so you don't need a 2nd one. Whilst we turned your router into an access point, ultimately a dedicated access point worth a few dollars more would likely improve the situation and may resolve it completely.

Don't worry about the switch, it had nothing to do with the issue. The issue is a loss of performance from clients on the wireless side of the router/wireless unit, which persisted even when it was bridged properly. This points to that unit being the most likely source. To replace it, you want to shop for an access point, not another router. Your wired client already shows that your modem/gateway works well for what you've tasked it for.

This little guy on Amazon ASUS RP-AC56 Access Point would be a better fit. If you want to stick with netgear to keep everything the same, let me know and I'll table a similar suggestion from their product portfolio.

Well, darn it, I just ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2AZLD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But if there is a better fit for the money, please let me know. I'm all ears. I can cancel the order or return it.

If it's best to keep everything in the same brand, I'd take another NETGEAR suggestion as well.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back