wiper blade "ritual"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else have their "rituals" they go through when installing wiper blades?

Mine is to clay the windshield, wipe with alcohol, put a coating of aquapel on, then put new blades on

You shouldn't be using things like Aquapel or RainX on anything that has a wiper. The rubber needs to wipe against clean glass.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
1. Remove old blades.
1.5. Spend 2 hours playing with the "universal" clips and trying to clip the new wiper onto the arm
2. Put new blades on.

Fixed that for you

You forgot step zero: wait about a year too long, muttering everytime it rains "geez I really ought to change these." Then step three: "Wow! wish I had changed these earlier!"

I'm so bad I'm tempted to store a spare set in the car. You know, buy two sets next time, store the second in the car.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
1. Remove old blades.
1.5. Spend 2 hours playing with the "universal" clips and trying to clip the new wiper onto the arm
2. Put new blades on.

Fixed that for you

{knowing chuckle}
smile.gif

1. Crack open a cold one.
2. break the new wiper blade out of the case.
3. Drink the cold one.
4. light up a cigarette
5. crack open a cold one.
6. walk around, wave at the neighbors.
7. answer the telephone.
7.5. drink the cold one.
8. go inside, forget about the wiper blade.
9. the next morning, stumble outside and light up a cigarette.
10. cursing as you go along, install the new wiper blade in a hurry and drive to work extra fast so as not to be late.

Originally Posted By: dparm
You shouldn't be using things like Aquapel or RainX on anything that has a wiper. The rubber needs to wipe against clean glass.

I certainly agree with this. I've found that any waxes or coatings applied to glass only work to contaminate the rubber blade. The best performance for me has been a fastidious cleansing of the windshield...and certainly more often than new blade time. My rubber inserts last years.

I do clay the glass from time to time. I use only a fresh clay bar and lubricate with water, not spray wax.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
1. Remove old blades.
2. Put new blades on.

Fixed that for you

haha +1

I don't do anything special. But I always buy new wipers, and then it quits raining and we won't get rain until the wipers are starting to dry up.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
3. Drink the cold one.
4. light up a cigarette
5. crack open a cold one.[size:8pt][/size]
7. answer the telephone.
7.5. drink the cold one.
10. cursing as you go along, install the new wiper blade in a hurry and drive to work extra fast so as not to be late.

LOL,i'm the same.
Beer and cigarette are must when ever i do something on car.

Last edited:
I just do the usual, remove and replace. Carry on.

Oh and it has been raining here for the past two days and cold only in the high 60's. Went by Autozone and laughed as I pulled up to see the outside trash can stuffed full of old windshield wiper blades. They seem to sell well when it rains.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
3. Drink the cold one.
4. light up a cigarette
5. crack open a cold one.[size:8pt][/size]
7. answer the telephone.
7.5. drink the cold one.

LOL,i'm the same.
Beer and cigarette are must when ever i do something on car.

And wearing shorts and being shirtless.

joebidenwash.jpg

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Anyone else have their "rituals" they go through when installing wiper blades?

Mine is to clay the windshield, wipe with alcohol, put a coating of aquapel on, then put new blades on

You'll fit right in here.

I disagree. I use AquaPel on Nov 1 to prevent ice from building up on the windshield during winter months. I used RainX in the past and it's great at higher speeds, no need for wipers.
Consumer Reports magazine did a study years ago and for the most part, a wiper blade life span is 6 months.

Last edited:
I've been using Rain-X for about 20 years, and have never had wiper issues.
I think the blades last longer because I use them less often.

Originally Posted By: ronbo

I disagree. I use AquaPel on Nov 1 to prevent ice from building up on the windshield during winter months. I used RainX in the past and it's great at higher speeds, no need for wipers.

.... and that effect lasts until the first time you turn on the wipers when you need them at low speeds, and the wipers leave foggy wakes behind them for a few minutes as the RainX gets scraped away.

I also don't have much use for RainX washer fluid- its OK in the wiper-swept area itself, but leaves a sticky mess of spots on the areas not swept by the wipers and also on the paint and trim. I do like their anti-fog for the bathroom mirror, though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back