Winnipeg -> Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Number_35
https://dailybonnet.com/winnipeg-couple-plans-for-nice-warm-tropical-vacation-on-mars/

lol.gif

82d64d81948adcdd38b7f50207a87f6d.jpg

2.5 year old battery and regular semi synthetic 5w30 in the crankcase. Fired up and drove fine this morning at -32F actual air temp. Life goes on... Suspect tomorrow morning will be tougher with another night of -32 forecasted.

born and raised here, and we get cold days in the winter every winter, but brother... this is cold. i can't recall it ever being -40 without the windchill. 2 days running now, too... both cars plugged in every night, timer on for about 4 hours before we leave in the morning. 5w30 synthetic, start and go no problem.

It's -41 C in my home town in Saskatchewan today. I now live on the Pacific Coast and we have flowers blooming in our yard today.

When we lived in Saskatoon we went on a cross country ski vacation in northern Saskatchewan in mid winter. It went down to -40 C and stayed there all week. We could ski for a half hour or so but that was about our limit. Otherwise we stayed indoors. Mercifully the car started at the end of the week. We never tried it again.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I've been through a few Winnipeg winters when I lived there. A bit colder than Vermont winters, where I also lived.

It's winter. It gets cold.

It's not a place for the soft, or coddled.

I think that it's hilarious that a European has something to say about our climate.

Maybe we don't want to move. Maybe, we're not as soft as you. Maybe, we like where we live. Maybe you should avoid casting aspersions on other people. Maybe you sound smug and condescending.

LOL! Did the bitter cold make you bitter?
smile.gif

My work takes me to the USA, Canada, and sometimes Brazil. I have been to New Jersey when it was -5F and that was a "damp" cold that cuts right thru you. The North Dakota cold is more tolerable.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Astro14
I've been through a few Winnipeg winters when I lived there. A bit colder than Vermont winters, where I also lived.

It's winter. It gets cold.

It's not a place for the soft, or coddled.

I think that it's hilarious that a European has something to say about our climate.

Maybe we don't want to move. Maybe, we're not as soft as you. Maybe, we like where we live. Maybe you should avoid casting aspersions on other people. Maybe you sound smug and condescending.

...or the condensed version:I
-ski
-sledding
-snow man (or snow woman; I would just build a whole family)
-snow fort
-snow ball fight
-snow angels
-hot chocolate
-boiled (with spices) wine
-a good old hard spirit
-the big red smile of kids having fun in the snow
-the crispy air and seeing around for miles while at peace with yourself and the world

-...and BITOG's favourite: an empty parking lot
You forgot the most important thing-a [censored] snowmobile!

Originally Posted by ecotourist
It's -41 C in my home town in Saskatchewan today. I now live on the Pacific Coast and we have flowers blooming in our yard today.

When we lived in Saskatoon we went on a cross country ski vacation in northern Saskatchewan in mid winter. It went down to -40 C and stayed there all week. We could ski for a half hour or so but that was about our limit. Otherwise we stayed indoors. Mercifully the car started at the end of the week. We never tried it again.

Yeah, at some point the alveoli start to crystallize when doing enduro-jock type activities in those ambient temps.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
This is just another 🎣 thread by a unknown recycle.

What's the matter now?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Nah. It keeps the uncounted and uncountable millions of tourists away.

I'm assuming it made news in Winnipeg that Burton Cummings from the Guess Who just recently moved from L.A. to Moose Jaw, instead of Winnipeg, because Moose Jaw has a milder climate. They get the tail end of the chinooks, and we do not, so they can be a fair bit warmer than us some days.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Nah. It keeps the uncounted and uncountable millions of tourists away.

I'm assuming it made news in Winnipeg that Burton Cummings from the Guess Who just recently moved from L.A. to Moose Jaw, instead of Winnipeg, because Moose Jaw has a milder climate. They get the tail end of the chinooks, and we do not, so they can be a fair bit warmer than us some days.
I thought Burt might run back to Saskatoon instead.
lol.gif

I'm assuming it made news in Winnipeg that Burton Cummings from the Guess Who just recently moved from L.A. to Moose Jaw, instead of Winnipeg, because Moose Jaw has a milder climate.
I didn't buy his reason. I've been in Moose Jaw in December and have driven by it countless times. It was never warmer than Regina. What is it, only 70 or 80 kilometres west of Regina? Chinooks fade away in that distance? If so, they'd be very weak to begin with.

I'd guess that housing is cheaper than in Winnipeg and Regina both, and certainly Saskatoon.

Last edited:
Moose Jaw can, often enough, be five or ten degrees warmer than we are in the winter. It's not common enough that I'd consider it a reason to choose it over Winnipeg or Regina or Saskatoon. The housing will be cheaper, and it will be a lot more peaceful for him than L.A. I think that was his main reason; he said something about having had enough of the pace of L.A. He'll find it peaceful enough in Moose Jaw, I'm sure.

He'll find it peaceful enough in Moose Jaw, I'm sure.
Yeah.

He may have wanted cheaper health care, too. You can't beat free, and he's no more a 20-something rock star living the life and all that that entailed.

If I had to choose between LA and Moose Jaw I would definitely pick the latter. LA is a dread zone. (Sorry to those living there)

Originally Posted by Patman
Some of us never get used to the cold. I'm 49 and I hate it even more now than ever. I'm definitely looking forward to my 3 day weekend in Orlando coming up, after the deep freeze we're having here.

That's the way it's always been for me. I was born and raised in Chicago, and lived there for the first 38 years of my life. The only time I can honestly say I enjoyed it, was when I was a young child. And all I had to do with snow was play in it. Once I had to live and work in it I quickly began to hate it. The older I got the worse it became. Not to mention the seemingly constant colds and flu that always seemed to come with Winter, along with sore knees and back as I got older. Then there is the miserable driving, or the fact how the Winter weather all but destroys your nice, new expensive vehicle in no time.

After 38 years of putting up with it I left, and I've never looked back. Now after 28 years in Arizona I realize the only mistake I made was waiting too long to move. You can't replace time. I should have mustered up the courage to do it right out of high school. Live and learn. Bad Winter weather is much like a bad marriage. You don't realize just how bad it is until you get away from it, and have something much better to compare it to.

"Bad Winter weather is much like a bad marriage."

I think winter weather is wonderful/beautiful for about the first 3 week and then it's just constantly annoying and aggravating and rots everything not just your car...Yeah, like a marriage.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Patman
Some of us never get used to the cold. I'm 49 and I hate it even more now than ever. I'm definitely looking forward to my 3 day weekend in Orlando coming up, after the deep freeze we're having here.

That's the way it's always been for me. I was born and raised in Chicago, and lived there for the first 38 years of my life. The only time I can honestly say I enjoyed it, was when I was a young child. And all I had to do with snow was play in it. Once I had to live and work in it I quickly began to hate it. The older I got the worse it became. Not to mention the seemingly constant colds and flu that always seemed to come with Winter, along with sore knees and back as I got older. Then there is the miserable driving, or the fact how the Winter weather all but destroys your nice, new expensive vehicle in no time.

After 38 years of putting up with it I left, and I've never looked back. Now after 28 years in Arizona I realize the only mistake I made was waiting too long to move. You can't replace time. I should have mustered up the courage to do it right out of high school. Live and learn. Bad Winter weather is much like a bad marriage. You don't realize just how bad it is until you get away from it, and have something much better to compare it to.

No disrespect in this comment. But maybe it's a getting older thing and I'm just not there yet... I'm in my late 30's still.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back