Post your latest cold start.

Keep it simple. Winter is here. Lots of cold start-ups happening. Film and post yours. All are welcome, from Ecuador "cold" to proper Antarctic COLD.

Include vehicle info, current fill, temperature, etc.

I'll start.
2003 Lexus GS300. 169k miles. 30°F/-1°C morning. SuperTech 15W-40 in the crankcase.

Last edited:
I was in the hills of Southwest Virginia this week and awoke to some chilly mornings. I think the outside temperature on Wednesday morning was 15ºF. Being a Georgia boy, these temperatures keep me inside by the fireplace.

My truck started without a glitch. I always have Prestone De-icer windshield washer fluid in my vehicle because it works great at removing bug juice so I just squirted that on the frost covered windshield and headed out.

Sorry, nothing spectacular to report.

This is one of those relative things... 30F is well, Thursday. The week has no highs outside of the 30's in it. And is perfectly normal. Would not even occur to me to video it as a "cold start" - just another day.

This is one of those relative things... 30F is well, Thursday. The week has no highs outside of the 30's in it. And is perfectly normal. Would not even occur to me to video it as a "cold start" - just another day.
+2

It's still only November, for one more day. These "cold starts" won't get interesting until January and even then not unless we get a real cold snap.

Sometimes I'll get out of bed at night to go pee. The overnight temp in the house is 65° F, which can feel a bit cool. I doubt anyone wants to see video of that.

As for oil: I DO take some Garlic oil and fish oil supplements.

Had a reality check on Monday / Tuesday...

Left Port Charlotte Florida in the afternoon on Monday and temperature was 80F. Landed in Rockford in the early evening at the temperature was 18F and 2" of snow on the van. I scrapped windows in shorts and a hoodie. Tuesday morning was 7F going to work. I was ready to go back to Florida but my vacation doesn't reset for 2 more weeks... :ROFLMAO:

Just my $0.02

I'll play. From this morning leaving work. Typical Ford 'Morning Sickness', supposedly caused by the silicone fluid in the fan clutch settling.

Screen cap of things just before start 32 deg outside temp. 13.5 hours sitting covered at work.

Screenshot_20231130-070429.png

And after the 14 mile drive home. Trans is nowhere near up to normal temp (195-200 deg), and the coolant is on the cool side of normal (200 deg).

Screenshot_20231130-072724.png

Any other engines make a startup racket like mine did? It used to sound even worse on whatever fill the previous owner had, and that was in warmer weather.
Don't think it's the oil filter, but will try Motorcraft FL400 or Frame Ultra XG3614 next time. Although the filter always has oil, as it's upside down at an angle.

Don’t have a video, also don’t have any mechanical sympathy… and don’t let the oil temp fool you, that’s the lowest it reads, but hey 73psi! CEL is on because of the gas cap message, haven’t gotten around to replacing the EVAP solenoid.

HPL Supercar 0w20 and a Mobil 1 filter in my Ram 1500 Classic.
IMG_8997.jpeg

Two of mine. 1) 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen. Aftermarket catted downpipe and resonator delete (OE axle-back). ~30 deg F. HPL Euro 5W40. 2) 2003 VW Passat W8. X pipe and 2x glasspacks. ~30 deg F. Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40.

Like and subscribe!

Two of mine. 1) 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen. Aftermarket catted downpipe and resonator delete (OE axle-back). ~30 deg F. HPL Euro 5W40. 2) 2003 VW Passat W8. X pipe and 2x glasspacks. ~30 deg F. Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40.

Like and subscribe!

That W8 sounds soooo good...

Back