Winnipeg -> Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ChemLabNL
"Bad Winter weather is much like a bad marriage."

I think winter weather is wonderful/beautiful for about the first 3 week and then it's just constantly annoying and aggravating and rots everything not just your car...Yeah, like a marriage.

OK, that's hilarious!

But I disagree...honestly, I loved the winter weather. Never minded shoveling snow. Never minded the challenges it presented when considered in light of the opportunities it brought. I ski. Used to ski a lot. But even as a kid in Winnipeg, I liked it. Loved seeing the icicles, building snowmen, throwing snow balls, skating, hearing the dry, cold snow crunch and squeak underfoot.

Winter is great!

Yeah, snowmobiling, that one for sure!
Whiskey before or after?

Why not both?

Originally Posted by StevieC

No disrespect in this comment. But maybe it's a getting older thing and I'm just not there yet... I'm in my late 30's still.

I really started hating winter when I was in my 20s, but it's certainly gotten worse the older I get. I now see why so many retired Canadians flock to Florida every winter, and I can't wait to join them.

Originally Posted by Patman

No disrespect in this comment. But maybe it's a getting older thing and I'm just not there yet... I'm in my late 30's still.

I really started hating winter when I was in my 20s, but it's certainly gotten worse the older I get. I now see why so many retired Canadians flock to Florida every winter, and I can't wait to join them.

I do plan to retire state side 6 months of the year because of the warmth and sun is a preference over the winter for sure but I'm ok with the winter until then. I've seen pictures of our neighbours parents house in Scottsdale, AZ and it looks like a nice area with lots of sun and being there in the winter months won't be as hot as their summer months which look like they are deadly in comparison to our summers here.

I've enjoyed winter in the past, but as I've gotten older I've started dreading it more. I don't mind moving snow around, it's the short days and being stuck inside far more.

This year my back is just not keeping up with what little snow we've had. I don't know if I just need to hit the gym more or what.

Originally Posted by mkskud
born and raised here, and we get cold days in the winter every winter, but brother... this is cold. i can't recall it ever being -40 without the windchill.

I went to Winnipeg once, when Air Canada cancelled my flight and diverted me through there with an overnight stay. Of course, I was then hiking through the snow to the hotel at below -40, though that was the windchill temperature, not the air temperature.

Luckily it was almost that cold at home, so I'd brought the clothes to handle it.

It's not like it's a big deal driving during winter, other than on a few snowy days, or if you live way in the country where roads never get plowed.
Vehicles during winter are a lot more annoying if you don't have a garage. And if it's an unheated garage, just need to try to not have to fix anything from like mid-December through mid-February.

Not sure why the person in the picture has a container instead of a gun.

4A194608-87F6-4AD0-822B-1F6141781371 (1).png

Absolutely age makes it worse. No question about it. You don't see too many people who have lived in the south their whole lives, move to Duluth or Fargo to retire. But the opposite happens in droves.

Originally Posted by billt460

Absolutely age makes it worse. No question about it. You don't see too many people who have lived in the south their whole lives, move to Duluth or Fargo to retire. But the opposite happens in droves.

I thought it was mandatory that all retired seniors that can't drive move to Florida (Canucks included), you mean it was for the weather?
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Nah. It keeps the uncounted and uncountable millions of tourists away.

I'm assuming it made news in Winnipeg that Burton Cummings from the Guess Who just recently moved from L.A. to Moose Jaw, instead of Winnipeg, because Moose Jaw has a milder climate. They get the tail end of the chinooks, and we do not, so they can be a fair bit warmer than us some days.

I always thought he was from Saskatoon, I guess because he wrote and sang the song about the place?

Originally Posted by Astro14
"Bad Winter weather is much like a bad marriage."

I think winter weather is wonderful/beautiful for about the first 3 week and then it's just constantly annoying and aggravating and rots everything not just your car...Yeah, like a marriage.

OK, that's hilarious!

But I disagree...honestly, I loved the winter weather. Never minded shoveling snow. Never minded the challenges it presented when considered in light of the opportunities it brought. I ski. Used to ski a lot. But even as a kid in Winnipeg, I liked it. Loved seeing the icicles, building snowmen, throwing snow balls, skating, hearing the dry, cold snow crunch and squeak underfoot.

Winter is great!

AGREED, but for the TRILLIONS OF TONS of salt the DOTs insist on dumping on the roads to vaporize our rides, at even the hint of a flake falling out of the sky!
mad.gif

Not too bad for those on perpetual 3 year leases, a horror show for those of us who buy, and KEEP their rides for decades (Fluid Film, Crown, and pressure washers can only do so much when they compulsively turn the roads to salt soup! [:(])

I love winter! xc skied the past 3 days in Stowe VT. This morning it was -3 when I left and 0 when I returned. Epic.

Sam

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
I love winter! xc skied the past 3 days in Stowe VT. This morning it was -3 when I left and 0 when I returned. Epic.

Sam

Sounds great!

At the Trapp Family Lodge? Or at the Mountain?

Here's hoping you all have a fresh starter battery and 0W oil in your crankcase
smile.gif

Why don't y'all move someplace warm? Are you masochists?
smile.gif

We'll be in someplace warm in a couple of months.
For now, we just endure the chill and with the cheap fuel that we enjoy on this side of the Atlantic, keeping the house warm and warming up the cars before setting out is quite affordable, unlike the way things are on your side.

Sam

Sounds great!

Sam

Sounds great!

I ski from the Stowe Nordic Center. Lunch is usually at the Trapp cabin, sometimes the brewery. We had 10" on Wednesday. Truly epic conditions. This is my 49th year skiing at Stowe. Sam

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
He may have wanted cheaper health care, too. You can't beat free, and he's no more a 20-something rock star living the life and all that that entailed.

Maybe, but I'm not sure anyone moves to Moose Jaw for the health care.
wink.gif
Apparently, he goes out for coffee and lives in ordinary, peaceful, semi-small-town life. Given this winter so far and what you guys just experienced, that will validate his claim that Moose Jaw is milder than Winnipeg! Only a Canadian could see any weather reasons to choose Moose Jaw over Winnipeg.

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I always thought he was from Saskatoon, I guess because he wrote and sang the song about the place?

Uphill covered that already. They did spend a good deal of time here in Regina in the late 1960s in a hotel that still exists, albeit under a different trade name all these years later.

I ski from the Stowe Nordic Center. Lunch is usually at the Trapp cabin, sometimes the brewery. We had 10" on Wednesday. Truly epic conditions. This is my 49th year skiing at Stowe. Sam

That really does sound great, Sam. The snow has been good this year. My kids skied over the holidays. They grew up on skis - the Friday program at Stowe is wonderful.

Cheers,
Astro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back