Windshield wiper reservoir fluid

But what about bugs? I, for years just used the blue-20F stuff all year long, well one early spring a few years ago we drove to Florida through the Carolina’s and Georgia. Every few minutes and “smack” and a great glob of green bug juice and guts is covering the windshield. And always on my, the drivers, side it seemed! All the blue stuff did was smear it around.

Stopped off at an auto parts store down there and found out they all use a special southern washer fluid with bug remover. I think it was greenish-yellow. Think Mountain Dew. That stuff worked great but I literally went through three gallons of the stuff over the two weeks we were in the south.

I've only used the basic blue for a few decades. Starting this winter I found Windex brand fluid on sale at O'Reilly's for $6 a jug. I am giving it a go. Basic blue around here is $4+ a gallon.

The purple -25° stuff at WalMart. It's down to $3.XX. My stock was purchased at $2.50 or so. I clean my blades with Protect-All 3 or 4 times a year. Reduces cracking and makes them Smooth strokin'

Vaico Summer Clean Screen with distilled water in the summer

Whatever cheapest deicing fluid I can buy for winter, since Coastal CA doesn't sell winter washer fluid

During the summer I bought some Traveler or Splash potable RV antifreeze when it was on clearance for under 2 bucks.

its non toxic, just propylene glycol and ethanol; works great and it lubes the wiper blade rather than drying and cracking them.
That's reserved for Winter use.
I'm tempted to buy RV antifreeze but I'm not sure if ethanol can damage clear coats or rubber / plastic trim. Have you noticed any issues?

I'm tempted to buy RV antifreeze but I'm not sure if ethanol can damage clear coats or rubber / plastic trim. Have you noticed any issues?
If methanol won't then it is unlikely that ethanol will. As the carbon chain gets longer the alcohols tend to show less solvency.

I wouldn't want to spread propylene glycol on my windshield but perhaps Arco does :)

If methanol won't then it is unlikely that ethanol will. As the carbon chain gets longer the alcohols tend to show less solvency.
Ok so I Googled this, it's been a while since chemistry class. So you are saying ethanol C2H5OH is longer than methanol CH3OH? I'm not sure if more atoms makes the molecule longer or fatter though. Since we are mentioning chains, I presume longer then? I must have been confusing ethanol with isopropyl alcohol C3HO. CH3O appears to be short and more reactive? I've heard it's bad on rubber and paint.

Ok so I Googled this, it's been a while since chemistry class. So you are saying ethanol C2H5OH is longer than methanol CH3OH? I'm not sure if more atoms makes the molecule longer or fatter though. Since we are mentioning chains, I presume longer then? I must have been confusing ethanol with isopropyl alcohol C3HO. CH3O appears to be short and more reactive? I've heard it's bad on rubber and paint.
I'm not clear at all what you're saying really. But EtOH is generally less solvent than MeOH.

And that would apply to IPA as well, I've never seen any credible information it's worse on paint and rubber than any other alcohol. Sounds like Internet misinformation.

Used to use the all season rainx but it left spots on my paint next to the nozzles. I switched to the prestone all season -27 degree and it’s the best I’ve used.

I normally buy the cheap stuff at Walmart. I was at an Autozone a while back and as a promo they gave me a jug of the Prestone Bug wash. That stuff worked great. I will buy it in the future.

My brew:

1-2 TBS Castile soap, 1/4 cup ammonia, 1 gallon of distilled water.

In winter I add 8-10 oz of 91% isopropyl alcohol.

You must use distilled water.
Curious why distilled water is a requirement. I could understand if you had some funky well water with a ton of calcium or something, can't see municipal tap water causing an issue.

Wallyworld Blue in winter. Krystalklar concentrate with distilled water in summer.

Back