Windshield wiper reservoir fluid

Which one do you use?

1) Water
2) Windshield wiper fluid (blue)
3) 25% or 3 parts vinegar & water
4) Or something else?

Rain-x

Some say that rain-x will clog your system. We've never had an issue with clogging. However if one does encounter clogging, just pop open the washed fluid reservoir cap and spray the windshield a few times. Without the cap on, the system is allowed to breath more and the washer fluid flows out farther allowing for a steady full stream.

Last edited:
Costco usually has 4 jugs of -35/-40°C fluid for a decent price. I have some of the tablets to be mixed into distilled water for use above freezing, but I don't seem to go through much washer fluid in the summer so I haven't mixed a new jug of that in a couple years.

Blue fluid with PS 21 in the winter...Water with PS 21 in the summer...

Fluid designed for my car's high underhood temperatures. I buy it at the dealer.

This is a great thread. Actually it is enlightning thread. Why am I buying the green stuff when it rarely gets that cold here?
Plus I like the blue color, so there's that...
Appreciate you!

Winter: 1 gal. blue stuff + 1 303 washer tablet + 4 oz. Rain-x washer fluid additive. If expecting extreme cold, add some Prestone De-Icer to washer reservoir.
Summer: 1 gal. water + 1 303 washer tablet + 4 oz. Rain-x washer fluid additive.

Regards,
John

Which one do you use?

1) Water
2) Windshield wiper fluid (blue)
3) 25% or 3 parts vinegar & water
4) Or something else?
I wouldn't put acid (vinegar) in your WW reservoir. That eats most metals fast.

During the summer I bought some Traveler or Splash potable RV antifreeze when it was on clearance for under 2 bucks.

its non toxic, just propylene glycol and ethanol; works great and it lubes the wiper blade rather than drying and cracking them.
That's reserved for Winter use.

In the Spring thru Fall its just tap water and a couple drops of dish detergent. Cheap and Works best.

prestone.com/product/prestone-bug-wash-windshield-washer-fluid/
www.rainx.com/product/rain-x-bug-remover-windshield-washer-fluid/
www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Bug-Remover-with-Rain-Repeller-Windshield-Washer-Fluid/121163127

www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-32-Degree-Windshield-Washer-Fluid/873873

www.rainx.com/product/rain-x-de-icer-windshield-washer-fluid-2/
prestone.com/product/prestone-de-icer-windshield-washer-fluid/

prestone.com/product/prestone-2-in-1-windshield-washer-fluid/
www.rainx.com/product/rain-x-all-season-windshield-washer-fluid/
www.walmart.com/ip/V-I-P-Super-Tech-Winter-Formula-Windshield-Washer-Fluid/17179676

www.walmart.com/ip/Rain-X-Windshield-Washer-Booster-32-Fl-Oz/54052735
prestone.com/product/prestone-washer-fluid-booster-de-icer-additive-with-dirt-blocker/
www.rainx.com/product/rain-x-windshield-washer-fluid-additive/
bugoffwasherfluid.com/buy-now/ols/products/324276609-bugoff-windshield-washer-fluid-ultra-concentrated
gunk.com/product/gunk-windshield-washer-fluid-m506/

Since I don't have a methanol source locally, just get whatever is available at whatever store depending on what is needed and when. House brand stuff from oreilly/carquestadvance/autozone/pepboys/napa all work great... and usually have normal temp, cold temp, bug removing... options.

Vinegar smells horrible. Alcohol/water, even with some ammonia, will evaporate quick enough and work fine.

And, I've never seen a clogged system caused by any 'bottled' product.

Back