Windshield replacement?

I've had the best luck with Safelite.
I have had the worst luck with them with their own glass full optimal distortions some as bad in spots as funny mirror carnival attraction. They replaced two windshields due to this finally with a decent OEM supplier.

Another car it cracked from bottom same place with them. Third windshield they cleaned up a burr they should have done the first two times.

I disagree. Aftermarket windshields can have distortions. I had the windshield on my old E45 (2001BMW 3series) replaced twice. The first replacement was an aftermarket glass. It had several waves in the glass. Second replacement was OE. No issues.
I too disagree......ditto everything that Marcozi said. Lots of cars in the junkyard with aftermarket windshields that are starting to delaminate vs factory OE glass.

Does your's have the F150 logo in the glass and is it important to you for the replacement to have it? The one with the logo will cost the shop $240 and the one without only $95.
For an (well worn) car flipper like yourself makes no sense using OEM supplier or factory part.

OEM glass is one part that is often ridiculously expensive compared to aftermarket and makes little sense unless it's for a late model high dollar car. In that case, a used OEM windshield is a better option.

I've had the rear glass on the focus replaced by safelight when the tint shop ripped off the copper lines. The distortion was present but not too annoying. I got the front windshield replaced on the cx5 last month by safelight and they used Fuyao. So far it seems okay - no notable distortion.

I think glass replacements on auto policies varies by state; I've never seen one for IL but I had to pay my regular deductible for the replacement.

Last edited:
Could it have been caused by something a bird flying overhead dropped? Like a pebble?
I think it was the sun because they both were at the base of the windshield going up on the passenger side. Just my guess. Besides I have these signs posted!!!!!

h1xwgayjbzw21.jpg

You made them replace the obviously defective windshield right?

No, it really is a minor issue, and we go through windshields like crazy. Due to long highway trips, where we seem to love following sand and gravel dump trucks. I think I've changed 4 or 5 in the last 10 years.

Safelight did my 65 Tempest last year. They sent the first one back because it was distorted. The one I got is good. Made in Ohio by a Chinese company, FUYAO. Documentary about them on Netflix. GM made buses there, Fridgadaire, and lastly Colorado/Canyons. Documentary about plant closing also.

Back