Windshield replacement?

What’s the wisdom these days on windshield replacements? Any particular options to favor or avoid? Looking to replace on my F150 with multiple cracks that have formed over the past few years but don’t want to replace it with junk, nor spend a fortune if possible.

Had both cars get new Safelite windshields done in the driveway at $150 each nofault insurance a couple of years ago.

It's all about the quality of the work. The glass is of lesser concern, since most are decent.

I had a windshield changed one time, by Safelite, and the installer cut the side moldings off, since they had a strip that goes down into the urethane. I specifically mentioned that I wanted new moldings when quoted, but the installer either wasn't told, or ignored it. They came back and redid the job. The windshield had to come back out, and the more you do that, the worse the job gets. 2nd time was a little better, but now the top molding didn't fit right.

Looking to replace on my F150 with multiple cracks that have formed over the past few years but don’t want to replace it with junk, nor spend a fortune if possible.

What year F150 ? Some of the newer ones have sensors/reflective. That glass costs much more. Plus the computer aiming must be done by a tech so there are no codes thrown.

I pay my auto insurance $3 a month per vehicle for unlimited free replacements.
Haven't used it yet and hope I don't...
In Kentucky $0 deductible for glass breakage is a legal requirement of comprehensive coverage. I think in the last 20 years I’ve had four broken windshields, but one was on my old truck which just has liability. I paid around $200 to have it done in 2019.

Off-topic, but in three of the four cases I was driving alone on an otherwise empty stretch of highway where there was no possibility of a stone coming from another vehicle when the glass spontaneously cracked.

Does your's have the F150 logo in the glass and is it important to you for the replacement to have it? The one with the logo will cost the shop $240 and the one without only $95.
I got the OEM F150 logo windshield from Safelite. It is the exact same make and type that came out. I'd give the windshield and installation 5 stars, but way over on the passenger side, there is an optical distortion due to wavy glass. It's not visible from the drivers seat, but it certainly is as a passenger.

I had a great experience with Safelite about two years ago on my neighbor's Forester. The tech was great, the work was excellent and the Fuyao glass they used was more than fine.

Last time I tried to schedule Safelite nobody answered the phone and they referred me to the website. The website had three different price options, each one $10 or $20 more expensive. Back to the phones to try to get an explanation of the different options and it was completely impossible to ever reach a human being. I gave up and took it to a local glass shop for about the same price.

I will offer an observation that my OEM windshields generally survive about 5 years before getting cracked, my wife's 2010 Yukon still has the OEM glass. No safelite windshield I have had installed has gone more than 2-3 years before getting cracked again, and my brother's Ford Explorer has gone through 3 safelite windshieds in 3 years, just driving on the interstate. Coincidence or statistically significant. Ya'll tell me.

I will offer an observation that my OEM windshields generally survive about 5 years before getting cracked, my wife's 2010 Yukon still has the OEM glass. No safelite windshield I have had installed has gone more than 2-3 years before getting cracked again, and my brother's Ford Explorer has gone through 3 safelite windshieds in 3 years, just driving on the interstate. Coincidence or statistically significant. Ya'll tell me.
Windshields crack from impacts with foreign objects. OEM or aftermarket makes no difference.

Reactions: hrv
I've used many different companies including Safelite. Good and Bad installs. The "key" factor is the installer doing the job. Like anything, it all revolves around attention to detail. Here in AZ., we replace windshields like tires....

Windshields crack from impacts with foreign objects. OEM or aftermarket makes no difference.
I disagree. Aftermarket windshields can have distortions. I had the windshield on my old E45 (2001BMW 3series) replaced twice. The first replacement was an aftermarket glass. It had several waves in the glass. Second replacement was OE. No issues.

I disagree. Aftermarket windshields can have distortions. I had the windshield on my old E45 (2001BMW 3series) replaced twice. The first replacement was an aftermarket glass. It had several waves in the glass. Second replacement was OE. No issues.
Distortions are not the same as cracks.

Back