windshield replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Camry. 7 inch crack lower passenger side. USAA insurance. They say I need to pay the $500 deductible. Is that right? I've heard of insurance replacements done at no charge at all.

Depends on the state and the coverage you buy. Mine has an option where there's no deductible on glass coverage. Maybe your glass coverage has a $500 deductible, only way to tell is to look at your insurance policy.

How much is a windscreen for your Camry?
For most common cars, they're only a bit over two bills, with the repair truck coming to you.

All depends on the policy. I had to have mine replaced 2 years ago (almost exactly to the day in fact), but I have a very old policy with $0 deductible on my comprehensive claims.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'd think more like a little over $200.00.

+1
DOT approved aftermarket windshields can actually be installed for a bit under $200.

And you can get them at junkyards ranging anywhere from $85-$150. Plus whatever the local glass shop charges to install. You might also get a few quotes from local glass shops as they might be able to get the glass cheaper than you can.

Be careful using those come-to-you trucks. I had a windshield replaced in an old Cadillac and the replacement was no where near the quality of the original. It was a lot softer and the tinted band at the top was pale.

depends on your contract. You need to read your specifics. Usually glass REPAIR is free, but replacement is your deductible.

That being said, you need to reconsider why you have a $500 deductible.
It is very easy to sign up for insurance that are bad bets, that you pay premiums for coverage that give you very little in return.

I had windshield glass replaced on a honda, and the high quality glass replacement from a well-reviewed glass replacer I found on yelp; wrote up a order form of $430 that they would give to the insurance.

So if you had a $500 deductible, you now are getting no payout for this.

You may find lowering that down to $100 will only be like $50 more per year. Which makes the math out that if you actually use the insurance once in 8 years (8*50==400 difference), you'll come out ahead.

(The counter argument to the question "what if you don't use it?, then why did you sign up for that coverage in the first place).

Last edited:
Not all windshields are $200 or less. $400+ isn't uncommon. Sometimes Safelite has to get OEM glass because that is the only thing currently available.

It would be a good idea to call a local glass company and ask them how much they would charge to replace it. Being a common car, I am sure something aftermarket is available.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
what a racket! they want you to pay 500 for a 200 windshield

Not sure if this is a troll, or you really don't understand how an insurance claim works.
The bill is the same; you can make a claim for any damage. You are just responsible for the first $500 on any claim.

So it's still $200-$500=(negative) so you have a claim for $0.
So, they want you to pay $200 for a $200 windshield. just as if you had no insurance,
versus paying $50 for a $200 windshield if he had insurance with a $50 deductible, or heck $50 for a $430 windshield.

Since $500 is pretty much the ceiling for a windshield replacement (we're not talking about fancy electric defrosting or rain-sensing windshields here), and if the OP doesn't have any other benefit that he didn't mention in his contract,
the end result is he pretty much has no coverage for glass replacement, and is going to have to pay it out of his pocket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Not all windshields are $200 or less. $400+ isn't uncommon. Sometimes Safelite has to get OEM glass because that is the only thing currently available.

It would be a good idea to call a local glass company and ask them how much they would charge to replace it. Being a common car, I am sure something aftermarket is available.

Don't go to Safelite!!!

Safelite is great, have used several Safelite windshields, had one defective windshield and they replaced it again no charge.

You have to pay extra for glass coverage. Call USAA back up and threaten to switch, or get glass coverage and get it replaced next month (I've done it)

Got a "come to the house" quote from a very well respected and reviewed shop for $238.50, "out the door"...not Safelite, who wanted around $340. Thanks for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back