Windows 11 RTM .iso now available

As I mentioned above, I believe they added TPM 2.0 back into the VM machines a week or two ago. So to run it in a VM, you'll need Hyper-V or VMWare as I believe both provide a virtual TPM 2.0.

Yes, that was my experience, the post I was replying to had speculated that the requirement had been subsequently removed due to backlash.

I'm using Parallels on MacOS on this particular computer.

Yes, that was my experience, the post I was replying to had speculated that the requirement had been subsequently removed due to backlash.

I'm using Parallels on MacOS on this particular computer.
It was a minor hassle to enable Hyper-V AND have Virtualbox still run. It changed all the networking interfaces to the Hyper-V virtual switch. Plus a few VM settings had to change so the two could co-exist.

I tried to bring over a virtual disk image to Hyper-V and just boot it. Ha! What was I thinking. But I did use it to re-install with an ISO and that worked.

So now my Linux VMs still run in Virtualbox and I have a Win11 test drive VM in Hyper-V.

If they did, it's been within the last week, I tried to upgrade to RTM last Monday and couldn't.
I think I'm going on old info. They put out the W11 requirements, everyone got mad, they backpedaled (which is the last thing I heard) then apparently clarified it. Nevermind.

It was a minor hassle to enable Hyper-V AND have Virtualbox still run. It changed all the networking interfaces to the Hyper-V virtual switch. Plus a few VM settings had to change so the two could co-exist.

I tried to bring over a virtual disk image to Hyper-V and just boot it. Ha! What was I thinking. But I did use it to re-install with an ISO and that worked.

So now my Linux VMs still run in Virtualbox and I have a Win11 test drive VM in Hyper-V.
Well, this is cute, and timely, I just got an e-mail from Parallels pitching me the newest version (which you have to pay for) in order to support Windows 11....

TPM work around:

Download Windows 11
Restart and try to install it. If your PC doesn’t meet the hardware requirements, you’ll see a message saying ‘This PC can’t run Windows 11’
From this screen, hit Shift + F10 to open the Command Prompt window
Type ‘regedit’ and hit enter
The Windows Registry Editor will now open. In the address bar, type ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup’ and hit enter
You should now see a ‘Setup’ key. Right-click it and choose New > Key
You’ll now be prompted to give it a name. Choose ‘LabConfig’ and hit enter
Right-click the new key you’ve created and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) value
Give it the name ‘BypassTPMCheck’ and set its data to 1
Follow the same process for ‘BypassRAMCheck’ and ‘BypassSecureBootCheck’, with the same value of 1
Close this window using the red X in the top-right corner
Close the Command Prompt window by typing ‘exit’ and hitting enter
You’ll now be back at the ‘This PC can’t run Windows 11’ message. Click the back button in the top-left corner
You should now be able to complete the installation as normal

It worked for me. I have an i7-9700k w/o a TPM module on the motherboard.

Reactions: Y_K
One HUGE improvement I noticed right away is HDR compatibility. Previously in Windows 10, anytime I enabled HDR the screen would be completely washed out, and no amount of color correction / brightness settings (even on the screen itself) would fully correct it. In Windows 11 it worked right from the get-go, image quality/appearance is the way it should be. Looks stunning on my 4K display, and it will automatically enable HDR mode in (presumably Microsoft) applications that support it. It set HDR on Flight Sim 2020 and even Microsoft's solitaire suite automatically.

I take this statement back. I don't know if some update installed, or what happened, but when I turned on my monitor today, HDR mode in Windows 11 is looking all whitewashed, just like Win10 did. Strange how it worked so well at first. Fortunately the few games I have with HDR mode can turn it on independent of Windows (in full screen mode) and I don't get the whitewash effect.

TPM work around:

Download Windows 11
Restart and try to install it. If your PC doesn’t meet the hardware requirements, you’ll see a message saying ‘This PC can’t run Windows 11’
From this screen, hit Shift + F10 to open the Command Prompt window
Type ‘regedit’ and hit enter
The Windows Registry Editor will now open. In the address bar, type ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup’ and hit enter
You should now see a ‘Setup’ key. Right-click it and choose New > Key
You’ll now be prompted to give it a name. Choose ‘LabConfig’ and hit enter
Right-click the new key you’ve created and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) value
Give it the name ‘BypassTPMCheck’ and set its data to 1
Follow the same process for ‘BypassRAMCheck’ and ‘BypassSecureBootCheck’, with the same value of 1
Close this window using the red X in the top-right corner
Close the Command Prompt window by typing ‘exit’ and hitting enter
You’ll now be back at the ‘This PC can’t run Windows 11’ message. Click the back button in the top-left corner
You should now be able to complete the installation as normal

It worked for me. I have an i7-9700k w/o a TPM module on the motherboard.
You don’t have TPM 2.0 emulation in the MoBo?

I don’t have an actual TPM chip, but my Motherboard will emulate one to satisfy Win11 checks.

Did a fresh install on both my computers today, other than the one taking a few minutes for me to figure out how to get past the UEFI boot process since I was doing a fresh install from a thumb drive, both went smooth. New UI is similar to 10 and everything is laid out logically. I am surprised the new "News and Interests" app that they just rolled out in 10 wasn't included - I like that.

Has anyone figured out how to expand open tabs in the taskbar? That's the only thing I can't find...and they still haven't given an option to show the battery % in the taskbar.

I gave it a try in-spite of my i7-7700 cpu not making the cut. Long story short there was some kind of waiver I ran into and I agreed with the terms and did the installation. I had no problems and was able to get all the updates. I'm not a fan of MSFT or Windows, but I will say it is working well, much better imo than Win 10 Pro.

I just installed it on a desktop I recently picked up in Walmart's clearance with a Celeron G5900 in it, it upgraded without asking me much no annoying Cortana stuff or trying to force you to use a Microsoft account like the last several Windows 10 version upgrades, I already hate the UI, why is the taskbar the way it is and why do I have to right click the start button specifically to open task manager when you've been able to right click anywhere on the task bar to do so since what Windows NT4?

I had been running betas of windows 11 on Parallels with no issues but for the final release, I had to add a virtual TPM chip before it would install under Parallels - it's just a setting under hardware and it worked for both Intel and M1 Macs.

I had been running betas of windows 11 on Parallels with no issues but for the final release, I had to add a virtual TPM chip before it would install under Parallels - it's just a setting under hardware and it worked for both Intel and M1 Macs.
What version of Parallels are you running?

Back