Disable windows 11 Sign In - done - but Screen still shows after timeout

New Windows 11 Professional, fully updated, on a new laptop (initialized automatically at 1st Boot, logged in as Admin, part of Administrators Group)

Have disabled logon prompt, system restarts and goes automatically to Desktop, no logon screen, no password prompt, no Hello screen, no PIN required

Under Balanced Power Mode, (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options), Plugged In, DIsplay turns off after 15 minutes, Put Computed to Sleep set to Never

HIbernate is not Enabled, there is no Hiberfil.Sys on C:\

I can close the lid and black screen opens up in 2 seconds to Desktop, no prompt, no Sign in screen

Overnight or after several hours, screen is correctly blank (> 15 minutes) and when mouse is moved, a Sign In screen shows (has a random icon "Admin" and Button "Sign In" which requires a click)

Have read every online resource on gpedit.msc and followed examples, same with regedit, still unable to Kill this "Sign In" screen.

Did all these steps:

As background, this is not a problem on any of our Windows 10 Pro systems, desktops, laptops

On W10Pro, I do not have a logon screen or see a Sign In screen after lid is closed or computer display turns off after some timeout, ie, overnight with system running, not hibernated, not logged off desktop

That's an interesting issue. So this only happens after about 8 hours or so? Or when the day changes?

This also happens during normal day, for example, logged on to Desktop and I walk away for couple hours but leave any open documents (ie. MS Office 2021 Winword.Exe or Adobe Acrobat DC Pro) running in edit mode -- or even is just "plain Desktop" is running with normal background processes and services.

Clicking this Button of course returns me to Desktop and any background processes started (ie. Firefox download of some large file or Windows Update running) show their current status normal. Event logs do not explain this aberrant behaviour.

It is just very annoying trying to (..and Failing..) disable this "Sign In" when no such event actually occurs, after all, the Admin account is signed in and presumably seen by the OS

Did you look at the Windows settings in gpedit for user settings:

Scripts (Logon/Logoff)

1647292714061.jpg

Lock screen disable(d) at step 1 which does not remove Sign In display after screen timeout.

All those items were already done in registry. No effect.

Have you also disabled Require sign-in in the account sign-in options, change the drop menu option to Never instead of When pc wakes up from sleep.

There is no such drop down menu in Account Sign In options -- as I clearly both read and examined the web pages that showed these options.

Interestingly, they do not show up in any of my Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Professional systems as well.

To recap, there is no password for any administrator account, system(s) automatically logon, do not password lock but only this one Windows 11 Professional does not simply wake up display screen when keyboard or mouse touched, it shows a Sign In button which, when clicked, shows desktop.

No programs are stopped and have continued running behind the timed out blank screen so that part is working (as these systems must run 24/7)

1647358148752.jpg

Correct, Win11Pro, typo in message

The solution was/is

1.Ctrl Alt Delete, add password
2. Win+X, Settings, Accounts, Sign in options, Never lock
3.Ctrl Alt Delete, remove password (or more correctly, set it back to blank or none)

Back