Windows 10 first thoughts with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've just set up a Windows 10 virtual machine on VMware workstation.

I set it up from the ISO and from the time finished VM setup and clicked "create machine" to Windows 10 desktop was just under 20 minutes.

I gave it the suggested 60GB of HDD space, I upped the ram to 8GB and gave it 2 cpus and 2 cores each and it's running great with this setup.

Setup was straightforward....for the most part. Initially you only have to accept the default "USA english, USA keyboard etc", then accept the EULA and install begins.

Near the end of the install you're given the option to accept some default settings or customize, much like Windows 8, definitely choose customize and turn off MOST of the defaults like "Make Bing your default search engine" and so forth.

Just past that & you come to the "Enter your email & password" so that every time you start Windows it will sign you in to your Microsoft account. If, like me, you don't want to do that click on "Create New Account" and on the next screen you'll see a link for "Sign in without a Microsoft Account". This the same scenario as Windows 8.

You don't have to worry about bypassing the "Start Screen" because there is no "Start Screen". Windows starts on the desktop.

The Start Menu is back! You will find some tiles there but all the old links are there and some new ones. The right click menu introduced in Windows 8.1 is still there, thank goodness! That is a terrific new addition to the start menu!

What I've seen so far I like, a lot. I just assume there will be problems & issues & as I run into them I'll report back here.

Oh, the "System Reserved" partition has gone from the previous 100MB to 350MB.

I'm attaching a few screen caps.

Desktop with Start Menu clicked.
[img:left][/img]

Right Click Menu on Start Menu

Control Panel, looks like it always has.

Disk Management. The "CD Drive" still has the Windows 10 ISO "loaded". You can see the System Reserved 350MB partition.

One left click on the Start Button brings this up. Also notice that they've put a search icon on the taskbar. I think this very handy since search works so well in Windows 8 and I assume it will work as well in 10.

Here's what you see when you click on "All Apps", used to be "All Programs".

Last edited:
Looks like a major improvement
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
The Start Menu is back! You will find some tiles there but all the old links are there

All but one: the Shutdown/Logoff/Restart selection.

With Win7 you simply left-click the Start button and Shutdown/Logoff/Restart is right there.

With Win10 you need to RIGHT click to get that? WHY? Why not simply include it in the regular, no-brain, LEFT click menu?

Microsoft STILL doesn't quite get it.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Wonder why it wasn't called "windows 9"?

I was wondering this, too. Regardless, it's going to take a lot to pull me away from Windows 7.

Looks interesting, but overall, meh. I recently installed Linux on several computers for the first time (elementary OS and Mint) and I may never look back.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Sorry but those silly tiles are still there, stuck on the side of the start menu.. That just looks ridiculous.
You can't remove them if you want?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, pro and con.

I plan on trying some software installs next and see how it responds. I'll let you all know what I find.

Tiles on the Start Menu can be Turned Off if live, removed from Start or uninstalled. I don't think ALL tiles can be so manipulated, but most.

Something new is the ability to create more than one desktop. Not sure just how useful this will be to most but some might find it very handy.

Libraries are still there. There was some talk of Libraries going away, but not yet at least.

Item Check Boxes is turned on by default in File Explorer for some reason, but easily turned off by clicking the View button and then unchecking it.

Total install is less than 11GB. If I remember correctly all of the last three versions were larger than this, by nearly twice in the case of Windows 8. Could the final release of Windows 10 grow by that much?

Here's the System, Basic Info Screen FWIW.

I don't mind the tiles there as long as they are not the only things there and you have to dig for the "normal" stuff like you do on W8. I know the world is coming to laptops and touchscreen a but until its on every computer this seems like a nice compromise.

The "Snipping Tool" is awesome ... I use it all the time in Win 7.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back