Windows 10 first thoughts with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm logged in using Firefox, downloaded and installed on my Windows 10 virtual machine.

I haven't yet found much to not like in Windows 10 as far as the interface goes. It's really what 8 should have been. I think that was exactly what most said about Windows 7 vs Vista!

I did a Google search a few minutes ago for "Windows 10" and got several hits. There are already some reviews out there. Here's the first one I found; Windows 10 tips

I've been able to load and use Nero 2015 trial, Ccleaner pro trial and Malwarebytes Pro trial. I have NOT been able to install a security solution other than Malwarebytes. So far I've tried the latest from Symantec, Norton Security, Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 and Bitdefender Internet Security 2015. None of them will install.

I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing or not doing or if there are changes under the hood that the security packages are not able to cope with, I suspect the latter. Norton thinks I'm trying to install in Compatibility mode and Bitdefender starts to download and then just disappears. Kaspersky just says, "A problem was encountered!" and quits.

I've tried manually turning off Windows Firewall but it made no difference.

I'll post again from my actual machine with a few more screen caps because that's where they're stored and it's just easier. :)

A few more screen caps with thoughts. This will be my last post for this thread. As I find out more I'll start a new thread.

Found this for my desktop!
grin.gif

Here's the link for it if anyone wants it.
It came from here.
[img:left][/img]

You no longer have to right click or use the charms bar, (I hate that term), to shut down. Just left click the Start button and you'll see the Power Icon at the top near your user name.

You can switch between the Start Screen, (if you miss it!), and the Start Menu. Just right click the Task Bar or the Start Button and choose Properties.

Performance at idle.
I should have mentioned in my first post that this virtual machine is installed and run on a Western Digital Black 4TB HDD. I can imagine that the install process would be much faster on a SSD.

Physical Memory Layout. Not sure how well this is going to show up. If you click on it you should then be able to enlarge it.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I hope there are darker themes available - what I have seen is godawful
smirk.gif

Larry must be using some kindergarten crayon theme.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I hope there are darker themes available - what I have seen is godawful
smirk.gif

Larry must be using some kindergarten crayon theme.
smile.gif

Sidewalk chalk. :)

Stil a God-awful disjointed User Interface! You have elements of the "new Windows" right next to the "Old Windows". You have the garish, childish colors and huge elements, and those God-Awful tiles.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Stil a God-awful disjointed User Interface! You have elements of the "new Windows" right next to the "Old Windows". You have the garish, childish colors and huge elements, and those God-Awful tiles.

I agree that the colors are a little...... BOLD! :) I also don't get why we're having to seemingly pry those silly tiles out of their grasp! I get that they seem to work pretty well for folks on a smart phone etc, but for the rest of us they are an inconvenient distraction.

The positive here is that we have the choice to use them or not. We can switch from Start Menu to Start Screen and back, turn live tiles on or off, remove them and in some cases completely uninstall them.

As for the colors, you can see that I was trying different themes and desktop backgrounds to try and tone it down a bit! But, I think that can be dealt with if we get a working Start Menu and can get rid of the tiles, and that seems to be the case.

Also, this is the earliest version available, only out for a couple of days now with the final version several months away. I expect, (hope), there will be substantial changes by the final version.

By the way, while using Windows 10 this morning I got a popup questionnaire asking my thoughts about the Live Tiles with a rating scale from 1 to 5 and the final question was, "What can we do to make it better"? So, they're, (seemingly), paying attention to the criticisms!

Oh, and I was not gentle with my responses. :)

I'd like to point out here that I was able to download, set up and install this beta in a virtual machine in very much under an hour. It has been running for the last 2 days without incident. No hangs and no blue screens. I'm pretty impressed!

At this point, if I can get a 3rd party internet security installed and a couple of pieces of software that I use every day, I would not hesitate to install it on my main machine replacing Windows 8.1.

Windows 10 64 bit running in a VMware Workstation Virtual Machine on a Western Digital Black 4TB HDD. I've given the VM 2 cpus with 2 cores each and 8GB ram.

Actual machine;
Core i5 3570k
Gigabyte z77x-ud3h
16GB G.Skill Ram

This post was done entirely from the Windows 10 vm. Including creating the screen caps and uploading them to Photobucket.

I finally found a 3rd party antivirus to install.

I've tried Norton Security,
Bitdefender Internet Security and Antivirus,
Kaspersky Internet Security and Antivirus and
Eset Internet Security and Antivirus.
Only the Eset Nod 32 Antivirus will even install. Given a little time of course all the security packages will work, but for right now it's just the one.

Need to mention that keyboard and mouse are working fine. There are some peripherals I still need to test and some software to install and try.

Eset Nod32 is installed, updates and scans.

Got all my favorite addons installed in Firefox and they all seem to be working properly. I'll mention again that if you can't make something out, click on the photo and there's an enlarge feature in Photobucket.

Here's the Start Menu with all the tiles removed. I've actually used the "Uninstall" feature on some of the live tiles, others I've just "Unpinned" from Start.

That's it for now.

Last edited:
I have screenshot as well.. here is one with live tiles customized, have not tried any Antivirus yet, but I do know Steam works perfect.

reAJHq.png

I have read through all the comments on W10 and my wanting post to get a new computer to replace my Dell with Vista Ultimate. I have arrived at the thought of hanging on to my present system until W10 comes out. I thank bornconfused and Quatro Pete and others for their input. Not sure if this is the best move but, we will see. Keep the W10 beta information coming bornconfused. Thanks again. Ed Hayes

Last edited:
I broke this into two threads thinking it wouldn't be so long that way. Looks like I forced a moderator to step in and combine them.

My apologies for causing trouble!

I have to admit, I was a bit "Confuzd" for a minute trying to find my other thread! But I guess I had it coming. :)

Thanks for fixing my mistake mod.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
I have screenshot as well.. here is one with live tiles customized, have not tried any Antivirus yet, but I do know Steam works perfect.

reAJHq.png

This one looks nice(r).
Can you do a screen shot with a dark-ish (black / gray) colored theme ?
smile.gif
Thanks IA.

I wasn't going to do any screen caps this post but 97tbird wanted to see a darker theme on the desktop and it does look good!

What I did today was install some software and test it.

Macrium Reflect imaging software. Installed, made an image and restored it to an external drive. Everything worked just like it should.

Downloaded driver for my network connected Canon MX922 all in one and was able to scan from it and print to it without any problems.

Downloaded and installed Paperport Pro 14 trial and everything worked, at least everything that I could think of to try, scanning, printing, stacking, unstacking, converting etc.

Downloaded and installed MS Office 2013 Pro Plus trial. I set up an email account in Outlook without issue, created some documents in Word, printed and saved them without any problems.

Installed Adobe Reader to use rather than the built in Microsoft Reader and it works fine. Had to go into preferences and turn off "Mouse/Touch Toggle" in order to get Scroll/Scroll bar back.

Ccleaner is working without problems as are Malwarebytes Pro and Nero 2015.

I'm probably forgetting something but will have to catch it next post if so!

If you want to see the image larger, click on it and Photobucket has an enlarge feature.

going from history

98 = good
2000 = suck
xp = good
vista = suck
7 = good
8 = suck
9 = ?
10 = probably gonna suck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
going from history

98 = good
2000 = suck
xp = good
vista = suck
7 = good
8 = suck
9 = ?
10 = probably gonna suck

9 is 10.....or if you use base 10, 10 is 9

Not to mention, you left out versions, 1, 3, 95 and ME.

Not saying your tick tock theory is wrong, just your facts.

Last edited:
Actually, I had to go look it up.

These are only the major versions, sub versions and service packs are left out.

Windows 10 TBA 2015 NT 6.4 • TBA

Windows 8.1 18 October 2013 NT 6.3 • Windows 8.1

Windows 8 26 October 2012 NT 6.2 • Windows 8

Windows 7 22 October 2009 NT 6.1 • Windows 7 Home Basic

Windows Vista 30 January 2007 NT 6.0 • Windows Vista Home Premium

Windows XP 25 October 2001 NT 5.1 • Windows XP Starter

Windows ME 14 September 2000 4.90 N/A

Windows 2000 17 February 2000 NT 5.0 Professional

Windows 98 25 June 1998 4.10 • Windows 98

Windows 95 24 August 1995 4.00 • Windows 95

Windows 3.0 22 May 1990 3.00 N/A

Windows 2.0 9 December 1987 2.0 N/A

Windows 1.01 20 November 1985 1.01

Just looking at the list and it occurs to me that I've owned computers that came with each of those versions except Windows 2000 & Windows ME. I skipped from Windows 98 to Windows XP.

But yeah, my first computer in early to mid 1987 was a Compaq 286 running at 10Mhz, I don't remember how much ram was in it but max in those days was 640k, came with a 3.5 inch diskette drive, a 5.25 inch floppy drive and what was then a huge 20MB HDD!

Sorry, I digress!

Last edited:
95 was ok except no fat32 till 95b

98 was good 98SE even better

windows ME was total suck

win 2000 good for business not great for gaming

we wont mention windows NT

Win XP was good

win vista was bad then ok after sp2

win 7 is very good

win 8 was awful

win 8.1 "ok" esp on touchscreen tablets and such

win 10? looks like another winner.
I dont mind all the tiles and such.. just make them all options you can enable or disable... and for the love of Dos 2.0 we need a freakin start menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back