[Leaked] Windows 11 info

I’m glad I’ve moved away from Windows as well. I have a much harder time trying to navigate it than I do the Apple devices. Currently I’m saving up to buy either a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air to replace my 6 year old Lenovo. And since they didn’t keep their promise with Windows 10 being the last then it is what it is. My computer won’t update past 10 I don’t think anyway because it’s too old. My parents can’t understand why I prefer Apple to Windows or Android and I told them once you try it you’ll never go back. I was so glad back in 2019 when I convinced them to let me get an iPhone instead of another Android and now I’m on my second iPhone and I’ll never go back to the other side ever again. They told me if I want any Apple products besides my phone then I have to buy them so that’s what I’m going to do. Everyone I know that’s switched to Apple has never went back. I don’t really like what I see with Windows 11 so I definitely won’t be going back either.

I don’t get why your parents are so set on some perceived superiority of Android and Microsoft. Especially Android. I’m no fan of anything Google does. Do they like Google knowing and monitoring everything they do?

MS isn’t so bad to me, but I’ve really only been a fan of windows 2000 and XP. If we’re talking laptops, and decent ones, there really isn’t a price delta. The low end junk that you can get that runs windows is just that, low end junk. Start to get to quality builds and the MS-designed stuff costs as much as the Apple stuff if not more. Some Apple stuff, overly integrated and not easily/at all updatable is a downside, but I doubt the PC laptops are much better. That integration has much to do with form factor and density…

I don’t get why your parents are so set on some perceived superiority of Android and Microsoft. Especially Android. I’m no fan of anything Google does. Do they like Google knowing and monitoring everything they do?

MS isn’t so bad to me, but I’ve really only been a fan of windows 2000 and XP. If we’re talking laptops, and decent ones, there really isn’t a price delta. The low end junk that you can get that runs windows is just that, low end junk. Start to get to quality builds and the MS-designed stuff costs as much as the Apple stuff if not more. Some Apple stuff, overly integrated and not easily/at all updatable is a downside, but I doubt the PC laptops are much better. That integration has much to do with form factor and density…
I guess because when we first upgraded to smartphones the guy at the phone store who helped us told them never to buy Apple products because they charge for everything and aren’t as good quality phones or electronics. Total opinion there from him trying to pass it off as fact. That has made them not want to try new things. Everyone I know and they know has iPhones pretty much and other Apple devices. They constantly have problems with their Samsung phones always. Everyday my dad seems to complain about his HP laptop that runs Windows. When I get the MacBook I’m going to let them try it to see how they like it I guarantee they will make a switch then. They are thinking of possibly going with Apple next round for phones because there Samsung leaves a lot to be desired now for them. I personally feel that Apple is very much more secure and protects privacy better. My brother in law is a computer technician and he hates everything with an Apple name on it but yet he won’t even try their products and laughs at me for using it but I don’t care it’s his opinion. That’s probably part of the influence to my parents not wanting to switch either.

I guess because when we first upgraded to smartphones the guy at the phone store who helped us told them never to buy Apple products because they charge for everything and aren’t as good quality phones or electronics. Total opinion there from him trying to pass it off as fact. That has made them not want to try new things.
This sounds a lot like the Lucas situation unfortunately.

This sounds a lot like the Lucas situation unfortunately.
Yep. And my brother in law seconding the recommendation to stay away from Apple doesn’t help either. I’m just glad they let me get an iPhone. Heck they used to buy me and sister new iPods every year pretty much so we were buying Apple then I don’t see the issue now.

I'm glad I moved to Apple. When they issue an update, all the bugs have been worked out. Every time I updated Windows I had problems. They also like to change where things are. I've never had problems with any Apple update on phone, iPad or Mac.
It's okay. Your infatuation with Apple will gradually disappear as you start discovering their flaws, their lackluster customer service, and their incompetent Apple Store staff. Been there, done that.

Maybe on the surface. Underneath, Apple made a lot of changes.
Depends on how you define it I suppose. Darwin is ultimately a BSD-derivative that Apple is constantly tweaking, but it's still a BSD-derivative which is one of the things that makes it such a stable and powerful platform. On the UI-front, while Apple has made some performance changes in the programming (hence the requirement for METAL for example) they've kept the interface remarkably similar since OS X (now Mac OS) debuted. There have been no UI changes that are even a fraction of what took place with the shift from say Windows 7 to 10 for example, which was mostly what I was referencing. The Apple UI is familiar and they've stuck with that philosophy while making improvements/updates to the codebase to keep it modern and implement new features without reinventing the wheel.

Depends on how you define it I suppose. Darwin is ultimately a BSD-derivative that Apple is constantly tweaking, but it's still a BSD-derivative which is one of the things that makes it such a stable and powerful platform. On the UI-front, while Apple has made some performance changes in the programming (hence the requirement for METAL for example) they've kept the interface remarkably similar since OS X (now Mac OS) debuted. There have been no UI changes that are even a fraction of what took place with the shift from say Windows 7 to 10 for example, which was mostly what I was referencing. The Apple UI is familiar and they've stuck with that philosophy while making improvements/updates to the codebase to keep it modern and implement new features without reinventing the wheel.
Before Metal they used OpenGL, and Apple being Apple, they wanted to have their own thing. I remember way back when they were advertising OS X as UNIX... Until they got sued and had to take that down. The macOS interface is nice, but nothing revolutionary. Most of the ideas come from Steve Job's NeXT, which Apple bought on the verge of bankruptcy... along with Steve Jobs. That's how he worked his way back into his own company. Anyway, a lot of macOS mirrors Jobs design philosophy. The problem with macOS is the aging subsystem, the Mach microkernel, poor scheduler performance, and a stupid driver system that doesn't allow anyone to make a driver for macOS unless Apple approves it. And they're about to close macOS to the Hackintosh community, a community that served Apple well for over a decade because they found most of the bugs and security vulnerabilities. Apple wants to move further away from big computers, workstations so on. They used to make OS X servers at one point. So macOS is more and more morphed into a embedded OS, that also happens to run on Intel. For how long? We don't know. The bottom line is that Apple is pursuing the luxury computing market, with less emphasis on actual performance and more focus on trends and lifestyle. And that's what macOS mirrors today.

Before Metal they used OpenGL, and Apple being Apple, they wanted to have their own thing. I remember way back when they were advertising OS X as UNIX... Until they got sued and had to take that down. The macOS interface is nice, but nothing revolutionary. Most of the ideas come from Steve Job's NeXT, which Apple bought on the verge of bankruptcy... along with Steve Jobs. That's how he worked his way back into his own company. Anyway, a lot of macOS mirrors Jobs design philosophy. The problem with macOS is the aging subsystem, the Mach microkernel, poor scheduler performance, and a stupid driver system that doesn't allow anyone to make a driver for macOS unless Apple approves it. And they're about to close macOS to the Hackintosh community, a community that served Apple well for over a decade because they found most of the bugs and security vulnerabilities. Apple wants to move further away from big computers, workstations so on. They used to make OS X servers at one point. So macOS is more and more morphed into a embedded OS, that also happens to run on Intel. For how long? We don't know. The bottom line is that Apple is pursuing the luxury computing market, with less emphasis on actual performance and more focus on trends and lifestyle. And that's what macOS mirrors today.

Yeah, they are a bit like the Tesla of the computing world in many respects, or maybe Tesla is like them?

The lack of updating the GUI was mainly what I was referencing in my original comment in this thread. That's a real plus for the folks that aren't big into major changes. Apple has succeeded on that front by making the changes relatively subtle. There have been progressive updates, but none of them are huge jumps like Microsoft tends to make.

On the "switch to embedded front", yes, they are working more and more on turning MacOS into what we see on iPhones and iPads, the iOS shift. The phasing out of Intel hardware (which I'm running on all my Macs except my ancient G-series stuff) will likely have me shift this box to Windows or Linux once it is sufficiently obsolete. Right now, since it still works with all my Steam games, I'll stick with it.

Pushing out the Hackintosh community (that's where I was really first introduced to Darwin, I was a FreeBSD guy at the time) is just another part of that whole shift to catering to the more embedded side of things and the "smart device" ecosystem where Intel-based systems are part of that legacy framework that they are trying to shrug-off as they push to move to platforms that run on ARM and their own CPU's.

Not to get too OT, but on the UNIX front of course that was the whole code-split between Berkeley and AT&T. The commercialization of that codebase (UNIX) vs the "keeping it free" philosophy (BSD). It spawned a ton of derivatives on both sides (DEC Alpha Unix, HP-UX, Solaris, IRIX...etc and NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Darwin...etc) which really ultimately helped make these competing platforms familiar and accessible. But, on the workstation front, I'd argue nobody has been as successful as Apple in gaining market share in the consumer realm.

Amusingly, a clinic that is in one of our buildings, up until a couple of years ago, was running a Mac server (rack mount). It ran PS Suite, which is one of the Telus EMR products. They were a wholly Apple org, so having an Apple server just made sense. One of the few I've seen in the wild in commercial service. Another EMR vendor used to use redundant Mac Mini's running Ubuntu as their "server" platform for clinical deployments. They had a 1U rack setup that had two Mac Mini's in it, one as the main server, the other the backup.

It's okay. Your infatuation with Apple will gradually disappear as you start discovering their flaws, their lackluster customer service, and their incompetent Apple Store staff. Been there, done that.
Never been in an Apple store or used customer service. I always hated Apple and their fanboi’s. When they came out with Win 10; that did it for me. I also got sick of android phones which didn’t last very long. Bought a refurb iPhone 6s+ which turned out to be brand new. Then I got an iPad. And then a refurb iMac. Which still updates to the latest OS. I still have occasional issues doing some things but I get by pretty well. No infatuation here just an old guy trying to learn new things.

Never been in an Apple store or used customer service. I always hated Apple and their fanboi’s. When they came out with Win 10; that did it for me. I also got sick of android phones which didn’t last very long. Bought a refurb iPhone 6s+ which turned out to be brand new. Then I got an iPad. And then a refurb iMac. Which still updates to the latest OS. I still have occasional issues doing some things but I get by pretty well. No infatuation here just an old guy trying to learn new things.
I got a Galaxy S9+ from 2018, an Acer 17 inch laptop from 2014 that I maxed out with 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 2TB Data SSD, and 1TB OS SSD. This 7-year-old Acer will last another 5 years at least. Also have a 13 inch MacBook Pro from 2016 with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and dual-core CPU (worse investment ever) that's impossible to upgrade.

Surely this will help Microsoft who lost a significant amount of the large enterprise market to MacOS last year (Mac jumped from 17% market penetration in 2019 to 23% in 2020). I hear that end users and tier 1 support loves arbitrary UI changes…
Probably because of availability. Laptops from Tier 1 vendors were hard to come by, and people were snapping up anything they could get.

Back