Classic Shell for Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
As I said above I am not against change when that change is for the better.

Absolutely, and that's a problem with all kinds of software and operating systems. Look how annoyed I got when they messed with Gnome in Ubuntu. Whether it's Windows or Linux, my computer isn't a smartphone or a tablet, and I don't want it to act like one.

Originally Posted By: glock19

There are always going to be people that fight change, just look at DI, CVTs, and 0w-20 on BITOG. People probably did the same thing with AC, traditional automatics, and synthetic oil too and now everyone loves that stuff. Companies have to change or they will fail. A car company couldn't make it selling the exact same cars today that they sold in 2001 just like Microsoft can't sell an OS today that's just like the one they sold in 2001.

I am not resisting change. If I was resisting change I would run the oldest possible OS I could that ran the software I use. I actually bought a new computer with Windows 8 when people were saying how awful it was and not to buy it even though I could have got the same computer with Windows 7. I tried Windows 10 when so many others won't. I am willing to try something new.

Just because I do not like all the aspects of the change doesn't mean I am against change itself. IMO when it comes to things like a computer OS there are benefits to consistency when it comes to the user interaction with it. That is all I am talking about and not that MS should go back to Windows 3.1 or 95. It is good that MS has developed a new OS that is faster and more powerful. Doesn't mean they had to change how you access key features of it. THAT is where my beef is.

Microsoft did away with the classic look in order to build the Metro UI. The plan was to unite desktop, tablet, mobile, and even Xbox in order to allow developers to build for one platform and deploy that code for every device while providing a consistent user experience. That plan didn't fully come together with Windows 8, but Windows 10 is a major improvement and things are finally coming together. As a Microsoft developer myself (I use their tech, don't work for MS), it's some very exciting technology.

The Metro UI has been overwhelmingly rejected by laptop/desktop users. It is despised by "most" using those devices. Windows 8, without the traditional desktop/start menu( all the time not as an APP like function )for laptop and desktop computers, was a disaster which is why 8.1 came out so soon that returned the traditional desktop/start menu users want. The Metro UI is fine for ipads and smaller touch enabled devices but it sucks on a real computer. It is why so many 3rd party software developers came out with software to return the traditional desktop/start menu to Windows 8. They wouldn't have done that if the demand for it wasn't there.

If the Metro UI is so great, and had people not rejected it so clearly, we would not have seen Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 would have had the same type of setup as Windows 8. The fact they went back to a traditional desktop/start menu layout proves this. Unfortunately, they did not learn their lesson and they messed with the start menu. Bad move on their part and it is why we already have software that brings the classic Windows start menu back. It is what people want.

At the end of the day Gathermewool said it best:

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
If you don't like change, then, like I said, stick with the older OS or find some shell you like, as you have.

I really get annoyed at this. It is so condescending. As I said above I am not against change when that change is for the better. I do not feel the change to the start menu in Windows 10 is for the better and clearly I am not alone as there is already software out there to correct it and Windows 10 is what a month+ old? You and the other guy actually sound like you work for MS to me( I believe you that you don't - just an observation ). You guys seem to have their attitude of "know what is best" for everyone and we should thank you vs. actually listening to what the consumer wants and giving them that.

Enough of this. I asked about a specific program and nothing else. If you can't answer the question just stop.

Uhh.... calm down dude. I openly acknowledged that Metro UI and Windows 8 wasn't a huge hit. I'm simply trying to provide an alternative view point. You clearly have strong views as an end user. I have a different opinion as a Microsoft developer. People are using phones and tablets more and more and slowly but surely desktop usage is declining. Microsoft is attempting to create 1 user experience that can span all platforms. It is a good thing and every single platform is attempting to do this not just Microsoft. Like it or not, Microsoft, Apple, and many Linux distros are all attempting to consolidate into an OS that can work on all platforms. I get that you like the Windows XP UI but that just isn't the way the industry is going. I'm not trying to be condescending but honestly if you like a classic OS then use a classic OS or find a product that will skin a modern OS to function that way.

You said something negative about Windows 10 that I didn't think was true. If you wanted to share your opinions on the internet without any feedback, then a blog might have been a better avenue for you.
13.gif
11.gif

Besides, I'm not tech savvy, but do like when shortcuts and better search options are made available. It has nothing to do with whether I'm right or you are - it's verifiable. So, if you want to click your way to where you want to get to (again, the control panel is NOT a destination, but a hub) then go for it. If I want to open a tool that would be available in the control panel, I'd prefer to cut-out the middle man and type out what I want.

I do the same for some for common files. Why click through 'my user name', 'my documents', 'car stuff', 'oil', 'UOA', when I can click the windows button, type, "uoa" and then enter?

33.gif

If only you spent some of that energy smacking your head figuring out how Windows 10 works.
28.gif

On a side note, why has this forum become so against dissenting opinions in certain instances? It's not personal, it's just the opinions of guys on the interwebs.

33.gif

If only you spent some of that energy smacking your head figuring out how Windows 10 works.
28.gif

On a side note, why has this forum become so against dissenting opinions in certain instances? It's not personal, it's just the opinions of guys on the interwebs.

This is a recurring theme with OP, he asks a question, doesn't get the answer he wants and then asks for the thread to be closed and deleted.

I see no need for it, so I won't install it.

First thing I did after installing Win8.1 was putting Start8 on it.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
33.gif

28.gif

This is a recurring theme with OP, he asks a question, doesn't get the answer he wants and then asks for the thread to be closed and deleted.

I generally ignore your posts but will make an exception here...

The two members I have been "disagreeing with" did not answer the question is the point. I asked if anyone had used the 3rd party software I talked about. I did not ask to be lectured on why I was wrong to ask about it, want to use it, or to be told I don't know anything and am some old [censored] resistant to change. I have no problems with people that actually answer questions I ask. Don't answer the question and get critical of me and like EVERYONE here I will fight back.

Of all the posts in this thread I got 3 that actually even tried to answer the question, offer another similar device, or a useful workaround( OVERKILL ). The rest ignored the question and lectured me on my failings. Gee, wonder why I took exception to that?

I will ask a thread of mine be closed when it no longer is OT and/or serves no purpose as it has degenerated into arguing. That is what happened here. IF no one is going to actually answer the question, and they will just use the thread to insult me and talk down to me, why would I not want it removed?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racer12306
I see no need for it, so I won't install it.

First thing I did after installing Win8.1 was putting Start8 on it.

I was looking for something like Start8. I too "fixed" Windows 8 by installing IObit's Start Menu 8. I was hoping they had something for Windows 10 but they have not come out with anything as of yet. That is why I asked about the program I did. If IObit had Start Menu 10 I wouldn't have even posted, I would have just used it based on how well Start Menu 8 worked for Windows 8.

I figured I would give Windows 10 a shot on a computer I seldom use so that I could see what it was like without worrying about it crashing a computer I use and need. Microsoft has started discontinuing all support in short order for older software and OS's once new comes out. I have no doubt they will stop with Windows 7 and 8 before too long( probably say 2 years ).

I figured I might as well get used to Windows 10 because they are going to make us upgrade to it if we want support and updates. Just look at how you could hide the KB update that sets the Windows 10 download in place but after a couple weeks it mysteriously shows up again in the update list be downloaded. That is Microsoft forcing it on us. They did the same thing with the Windows 8.1 upgrade. They basically forced it on people. If I thought Windows 7 and 8 would be supported for a long time I wouldn't have bothered with Windows 10.

Last edited:
To be fair, I never said you were wrong. I simply posted my experience and commented on your complaint on accessing the control panel, as well as your boast on times to get to the control panel. I didn't say anything about you having to like the new UI or being wrong for liking a shell of the older UI.

Each thread we post is for the benefit of the forum, not just for the thread starter, IMO. Others and I posted our experience, in the context of the thread, which I believe is ok. If someone was on the fence about dl W10 due solely to the control panel access issue you described, then maybe we've changed their mind.

To be fair, I never said you were wrong. I simply posted my experience and commented on your complaint on accessing the control panel, as well as your boast on times to get to the control panel. I didn't say anything about you having to like the new UI or being wrong for liking a shell of the older UI.

Each thread we post is for the benefit of the forum, not just for the thread starter, IMO. Others and I posted our experience, in the context of the thread, which I believe is ok. If someone was on the fence about dl W10 due solely to the control panel access issue you described, then maybe we've changed their mind.

Oh please. Your 1st post in the thread should have ended it if what you say ^^^ is true. I ignored your post and just moved past it but you had to keep pushing so I engaged you. You got condescending and pushy from there on. While you may not have used the word "wrong" specifically you sure did imply it a lot.

I asked a very specific question about a very specific 3rd party software. You offered nothing in response to that other than you initial post which could be construed as helping others in a round about way. After that you went into preach mode and added nothing beneficial to others.

This wasn't a topic started with multiple answers and view points to debate. You just don't get it. I didn't ask for opinions on 3rd party software vs. using the new Windows 10 start menu. I didn't ask to be lectured on how I "should" use Windows 10. I didn't ask to be labeled resistant to change. I asked, specifically, if anyone had used Classic Shell for Windows 10. Your responses. other than the 1st one( sort of )do not address the question. You took the thread OT and turned it into an argument that continues still. How is that helping others?

Let it go! This is exactly why I wanted the thread closed.

Oh please. Your 1st post in the thread should have ended it if what you say ^^^ is true. I ignored your post and just moved past it but you had to keep pushing so I engaged you. You got condescending and pushy from there on. While you may not have used the word "wrong" specifically you sure did imply it a lot.

I asked a very specific question about a very specific 3rd party software. You offered nothing in response to that other than you initial post which could be construed as helping others in a round about way. After that you went into preach mode and added nothing beneficial to others.

This wasn't a topic started with multiple answers and view points to debate. You just don't get it. I didn't ask for opinions on 3rd party software vs. using the new Windows 10 start menu. I didn't ask to be lectured on how I "should" use Windows 10. I didn't ask to be labeled resistant to change. I asked, specifically, if anyone had used Classic Shell for Windows 10. Your responses. other than the 1st one( sort of )do not address the question. You took the thread OT and turned it into an argument that continues still. How is that helping others?

Let it go! This is exactly why I wanted the thread closed.

He provided you an alternate way to achieve the goal you stated, which was finding control panel quickly. You went on to complain about Windows 10 and why they couldn't just update the core OS while leaving the UI unchanged. I attempted to explain why that UI needed to change, because the form factor that most people are using these days has changed. When provided an alternate view point you lost your mind and accused everyone who doesn't agree that Windows 10 should function like XP as attacking you and not answering your question. If you make a statement about how you feel a product should be, then you can't be mad when people disagree with you.

At least we agree that there's nothing more to be said. I'll bow out now.

Because in many ways XP was/is superior to the offerings of today. Moving things around are not always better. It is just different. I have used classic shell since Windows 8.0 was released. I would still be using Windows 7 if it wasn't for classic shell.

You guys are going to laugh, we put classic shell on our Windows 2012 Servers.

They come with the metro windows 8 interface, and it constantly says "tap here, or touch here".

This is a server, it isn't a touch laptop. It is virtualized.

Just to update this thread a little. I discovered just recently that IObit has come out with a new version of Start Menu 8 that will work with Windows 10 too. You need version 2.3 if you have Windows 10.

I have used SM8 on all my systems with Windows 8 and really like it. I was bummed when I 1st upgraded to Windows 10 to see they didn't have a SM10. When I saw SM8 can be used with Windows 10 now I immediately used it on a system I was upgrading.

I definitely like SM8 much better than Classic Shell. Might just be because I am used to it from Windows 8 but I like it better for whatever reason. I am going to remove Classic Shell and install SM8 on all of the other systems I have installed Windows 10 on.

So we now have another option. Start Menu 8 version 2.3!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Can download safely here if interested...

http://download.cnet.com/Start-Menu-8/3000-2072_4-75852660.html?tag=main;pop

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Why would anyone that has switched from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10, purchase this version, versus just buying the Windows 10 version?

It's free, that is why.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Why would anyone that has switched from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10, purchase this version, versus just buying the Windows 10 version?

Me?

What purchase are you talking about? You have lost me?

IObit does not do a Windows 10 version of their start menu software( buy or free ). They modified their popular software for Windows 8/8.1 to work with Windows 10 as well.

No idea what you are asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back