Will you teach your kids driving stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still debating that with the wife. It's how I learned, and while I hated it at the time, it's a skill that came in very useful later on in life.

Yes. Since my next car will be a stick, and they're not driving it until they learn how. Wife's may be, too. Depends on how long we keep it.

I can think of an instance where not knowing how to drive stick would have cost me employment.

yes and making them change a tire and check a dipstick too.

Since it snows around here I want them knowing the physics of gear ratios etc so they aren't suprised/ spinning out when the trans downshifts going up a snowy hill.

Definitely yes, but I am a far shot off.

People do not care to know anything about math or science these days. Seriously, ask the average person on the street anything even slightly intuitive pertaining to physics, and youll get a blank stare.

Driving MT is one of the best lessons available to talk about momentum, acceleration, rates, rotational inertia, etc. Because you HAVE to get some grasp of this stuff for the vehicle to operate.

Then people can go back to being business and art majors, and at least have some clue of the true realities of how the earth works.

yes. I learned on some old trucks at the family business. A 75 Ford E-150 box truck with a 3 on the tree, '68 P-class delivery van, 4 speed, a '60's era Chevy dumptruck, and an IH 4-speed tractor. None of them had syncromesh from what I remember.

My buddy let me learn on the streets with his dad's '84 4-speed Dodge Omni. Woefully overgeared.

Also, my kids will need to pass a driving class me after they can prove to me they learned driving skills 2 books I've had since I was a teen: Bob Bondurant's high performance driving, and Front Wheel Drive performance driving.

I swear, these resources kept me from getting in to at least one accident in bad weather. I want to pass on these to my kids. I KNOW they won't be learning this stuff in their driving school.

Several years ago in Durham NC (city 0f crime) two home boys robbed a store and then car jacked a woman's car. The car was a stick shift, they could not drive one. They had it bucking across the parking lot as the cops arrived. So yes do teach your kids how to drive a manual. You never know when they may need it.

My dad taught me how to drive so I could get my license and then after a few months when I was comfortable he bought a S/B car and taught me stick in an afternoon.

If I didn't drive so much for my job I would own a stick because I like the driving feel, but because I'm usually yacking on my phone for my job and driving in traffic sometimes it wouldn't be easy to juggle it all.

My spare car (95 Neon) is stick so I get to drive it sometimes when the Santa Fe is having work done by my dad etc...

grin2.gif

yes absolutely. it makes you a better driver to start upfront.

a lot of jobs around here require having a full manual license.

I got 2 out of 3 trained. My youngest (19) just doesn't appear to have a good connection to driving. She's aloof in a nerdy kinda way. I don't think she's got the basic wet/firm-ware to manage it. She has no passion for driving. It's a means to an end. She can tell me where to place the IPod to get the best reception over the radio. The other kids took to it like a fish does to water in comparison. The mastery of driving meant one thing to them. FREEDOM.

She got my locker'd M&S shod jeep stuck in a muddy parking area at some event (if that communicates what I'm saying).

I'm not hoping to ever have kids but if I did, I would teach them to drive stick. I wanted to when I learned, since the only cars my dad ever owned were stick shifts.

However, if there were an AT car in the family at the time they were ready for the test, I think I'd let them take the AT in the test. No point adding another variable to the road test, IMO.

I'd love to but first I've got to convince my wife to let a stick shift into our family of vehicles. She grew up on a farm and would just assume never see a clutch pedal again in her life. We often trade cars back and for various reasons so she has to agree to it.

I can say with certainty that I will be teaching my kids how to drive stick because I probably will never own a single non-manual car.
LOL.gif

I also firmly believe that most people learn much more about good driving from driving stick, and that it's a great way to promote the kind of involvement with the car that encourages safe habits.

Yes, it only takes about 30 minutes to learn and its very easy to teach a person. I taught my son to drive a manual trans when he was 14 years old.

If a kid can learn how to play X-box then they will have no trouble learning to drive stick shift.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I taught my son to drive a manual trans when he was 14 years old.

My aunt taught me driving her MT car when I was ten. I'd teach my kids as soon as they'd be tall enough to reach the pedals and to see over the steering wheel. How things are going, teaching them riding a donkey seems a more likely scenario, though.

My dad taught me how to drive stick first things of all, even before I went to drivers ed and such. All of our vehicles are all manual (except the Tundra, which is only automatic). I kinda have to learn how to drive automatic and why should you never take off your foot when it's in drive, and not mistaking the brake for the gas and stuff.

The first time I ever drove a car with automatic was at age 15 while on vacation in the US. Back home, mostly taxis and cars of physically impaired people had auto transmissions.

Quote:
People do not care to know anything about math or science these days. Seriously, ask the average person on the street anything even slightly intuitive pertaining to physics, and youll get a blank stare.

I've noticed most kids (jr high, high school, college) today have very little interest in science cause theres way too much math and studying for that subject. Those lazy kids would rather spend their time loading music into their Ipod, texting/talking on their cell phone or spending their free time on some silly website like Face book, My space or worse yet Twitter.

My stepson is 16 and he's learning to drive. About 1/2 of our driving is in my car with a manual transmission.

I'll teach the girls as well when their time comes to learn how to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back