Will the high vehicle prices trickle down to my 500,000 mile Sequoia too?

Have you seen the price of scrap metal lately? It's high, like everything else.
Yeah but the current bid is $1500 and scrap cars are about $250/ton so it's still worth more than scrap at this point.

I find would find it far easier to own high miles vehicles in the Northeast/East where there is truly "NO" middle of no where. Here in the West you could easily be two to three hours without a phone signal of even a gas situation. NO THANK YOU driving around in a 300,000 or 500,00 mile vehicle on these trips.
Sure. Understand that point of view and i agree with that for the most part. I simply disagree with a broad brush statement that anything around or over 200K miles is somehow ”used up”. A friend of mine just had his new truck break down on him: major engine issue. Probably less than 20K miles on it. So there are no reliability guarantees, even with a new vehicle. There are things one can do to mitigate an unpleasant breakdown in the middle of no where: get a reliable vehicle; truly maintain vehicle (i.e all the usual stuff (oil, coolant, etc changes, but also pre-emptively replace items that are known to break at a certain age(i.e. coils, hoses, radiators). Yes, things are more likely to break down as miles and years accumulate. No doubt.

MIL is very upset I took the sheets and towels off...no joke.

Broke 296k today.
Well yeah, now it won't look like it was new anymore. I still encounter houses with appliances where the blue plastic is still on or the stickers are still on the window even if they're clearly at least 10-20 years old.

Broke 296k today.
Respectfully-I don't get this-she is wearing out the car at 296,000 miles but not the interior. So-the next buyer will get an end of life vehicle with a "like new" interior? What's the rationale?

Broke 296k today.
Odometer is about to stop!

Respectfully-I don't get this-she is wearing out the car at 296,000 miles but not the interior. So-the next buyer will get an end of life vehicle with a "like new" interior? What's the rationale?
The outside of the car looks as good as the inside, I've seen it in person! Rode like it would have 17 years ago too.

Odometer is about to stop!

The outside of the car looks as good as the inside, I've seen it in person! Rode like it would have 17 years ago too.
I understand that-but the motor still has almost 300,000 miles on it.

I understand that-but the motor still has almost 300,000 miles on it.

And the strut tower is rotted out. When you start it the engine cranks long and barely fires up like there's no compression, the idle is so rough it'll vibrate the fillings out of your teeth...the thing is a total heap but it is clean. Worth the $500 the dealer offered on trade in. The car is just used up.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
Protecting the interior is smart. You might not know when you might sell it. A mint interior is a sellingpoint at any age/mileage. You spill something and its easier to clean a seat cover/towel. if one person does put all the miles and time on it and sends it to the junk yard with clean seats it wont be the end of the world. If the interior is nice it makes the car more repairable should something replaceable but expensive happen.

I would much rather drive a clean interior with a lot of miles than something with low miles and beaten inside.

Protecting the interior is smart. You might not know when you might sell it. A mint interior is a sellingpoint at any age/mileage. You spill something and its easier to clean a seat cover/towel. if one person does put all the miles and time on it and sends it to the junk yard with clean seats it wont be the end of the world. If the interior is nice it makes the car more repairable should something replaceable but expensive happen.

I would much rather drive a clean interior with a lot of miles than something with low miles and beaten inside.
That's the point-it's heading to the junk yard with a near mint interior. The owner(s) never benefited. The only person who does is the one who pulls it out at the junk yard. Remind me why again?

Back