Will Oil Extractor Work on Audi A3 2.0 TDI?

This weekend I'm going to help my son do maintenance on his '12 Audi A3 2.0 TDI, including an oil change. He lives in Rock Springs, WY, so I need to pack up all the tools I will need, and take them with me. (He's a little mechanically deficient, so he doesn't have many tools.) I want to take the MityVac, but only if it will work on this car.

Does anyone have any experience with this engine? Will the oil extractor work with it?

usually euro cars work great with oil extractors.

I will say subarus dont work very well at all.
GM products somewhere in the middle.

but of course that is just a general statement.

Oil extractors work fine.
I agree completely. My Diesel Jetta and Mercedes Benz work great with the oil extractor.
My Subaru STI, not at all. Put a Fujomoto drain valve. That does work well and clean.
I use an air compressor powered extractor. Thorough but always takes longer than what the manual and experts say.

This weekend I'm going to help my son do maintenance on his '12 Audi A3 2.0 TDI, including an oil change. He lives in Rock Springs, WY, so I need to pack up all the tools I will need, and take them with me. (He's a little mechanically deficient, so he doesn't have many tools.) I want to take the MityVac, but only if it will work on this car.

Does anyone have any experience with this engine? Will the oil extractor work with it?
this engine is virtually identical, extractors are the preferred method of oil change

the only way to drain the used oil in the oil filter housing/oil cooler is with an extractor

Thanks for the quick replies. The video helped too. I'll take the oil extractor and plan on doing everything from the top. Much preferred to crawling underneath. I found another video where after extracting oil through the dip stick tube, the guy stuck the extractor tube down the oil filter housing, and pumped out additional oil. It appeared that he got a fair amount of additional oil out this way. I'm going to give that a try. And may do likewise on my E350 next oil change.

Rand and Gipple, you are absolutely correct about oil extractors not working well with most Subaru engines. The dip stick tube is too small on my Outback. I originally bought my extractor to do oil changes on a Mercedes SL550. The oil extractor worked excellent on it. And now I use it on my E350 and my daughter-in-law's Kia Sedona.

Rand and Gipple, you are absolutely correct about oil extractors not working well with most Subaru engines. The dip stick tube is too small on my Outback.

NOW you tell me!

why bother! draining the oil HOT with the oil drain plug lower is best to remove the most oil + dont be in a hurry!! IMO

Yep, I'd rather drain it HOT and get ALL of it out. Its a crapshoot with extractors! If you don't enjoy laying on your back draining oil, then why are you even a BITOG member? :)

Yep, I'd rather drain it HOT and get ALL of it out. Its a crapshoot with extractors! If you don't enjoy laying on your back draining oil, then why are you even a BITOG member? :)
the problem is with TDI engines (and most engines with cartridge) filters, a significant volume of oil is trapped in the oil filter housing and is impossible to remove without an oil extractor.

This is why is it the preferred method of oil change for most VW and other German engine designs

I get MORE oil out of my 2004 VW TDI with an extractor than removing the oil pan bolt (yes I have measured the volume FYI)

I have a 06 Mercedes CDI L6 OM648 engine and it is designed for oil extraction. That has been the method I have used on all my Benz's. I had picked up a centrifugal pump and modified it for extraction hose to go into dip stick hole and work's well.

the problem is with TDI engines (and most engines with cartridge) filters, a significant volume of oil is trapped in the oil filter housing and is impossible to remove without an oil extractor.

This is why is it the preferred method of oil change for most VW and other German engine designs

I get MORE oil out of my 2004 VW TDI with an extractor than removing the oil pan bolt (yes I have measured the volume FYI)

Yes, that was exactly my experience this weekend when doing the oil change on my son's Audi. There was oil in the bottom of the oil filter housing, and I was able to suck up most of it with the extractor. I was very pleased in how easy the extractor made the oil change on the Audi TDI.

I've always found it a little odd that many think that using an oil extractor may result in a less complete oil change. I think they forget to consider how much oil remains in an engine even after the filter is removed and the oil pan is entirely drained. My Subaru is a good example of that. The service manual states that it takes 5.1 quarts for oil change and filter replacement. But it takes 6 quarts when an engine is rebuilt. The SL550 I used to drive took about 9 quarts for an oil and filter change, but total capacity was about 11.8 quarts.

Getting out all the motor oil at an oil change is a fantasy. It just doesn't happen. So if an oil extractor leaves 3 or 4 ounces more than removing the drain plug, what does it matter?

Back