Will HD 30 "protect" like a 10w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure the HT/HS is elevated over a PCMO 30 multivisc, at least the same as a 10w-40, so is it good enough for cool weather?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I figure the HT/HS is elevated over a PCMO 30 multivisc, at least the same as a 10w-40, so is it good enough for cool weather?

Depends on the (base) oil in this case. And what you mean by "cool weather".

I would say there is no doubt in my mind that a HD synthetic SAE 30 will protect better than a generic 10W-40 in almost all cases where you don't need the ~14 cSt viscosity @ 100°C. Indeed the 3.4 + HTHS is a good thing and you need to look at the cold temp properties of the synthetic SAE 30 oil to see it's a 10W. Knowing that the oil has no VII's and seeing practical low wear rates of the SAE 30 are just a bonus.

I suspect the shifting will be tough while it warms up, but it should be okay after that.

There is no way I would use dino HD30 in my bike in NE PA in the fall or winter. It gets to cold here. That oil will be like pancake syrup in the cold.

What's the bike?

I'm in the other corner of the state, and have always preferred a 10-40 or 15-50. OTOH, most engine mfrs say you can use straight 30 at anything 40 degrees F or higher, so, since most bikes aren't ridden when it's colder than that,
21.gif

Bikes that are air cooled will suffer fuel economy loss with straight grade oil. The worst mileage ever with my bike was using straight 40W in cool weather. It's an air cooled Moto Guzzi.

Well, it's actually a blend of 30 and 15w-40. I just dont' want to dillute it too much. I want to use up the oil I have and this "blend" will only be for a month or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back