An observation on my scooters

From the owner’s manual…
Kymco People 150 suggested oil change 1,200 to1,500 miles using .96 quart. Manual states various xxw-40 and xxw-50 oils. I use 5w-40 synthetic Rotella changing every 3,000 km…roughly 1,860 miles…odometer is in km.

Honda Navi 110 cc motor suggested oil change 2,500 miles using .80 quart. Manual states 10w-30

Honda ADV150 suggested oil change 4,000 miles using .80 quart. Manual states 10w-30. Note this is an Adventure Bike/Scooter so it could get used in dusty conditions.

All these scooters don’t use an ‘oil filter’, but all three use something that is shaped like a thimble made out of stainless steel screen with about the same mesh. Nothing to capture any fine particles. These screens are washable. Just seems strange the suggested oil change intervals an all over the place. Any thoughts on this?
Kymco and Navi are air cooled. ADV 150 is water cooled.

Last edited:
From the owner’s manual…
Kymco People 150 suggested oil change 1,200 to1,500 miles using .96 quart. Manual states various xxw-40 and xxw-50 oils. I use 5w-40 synthetic Rotella changing every 3,000 km…roughly 1,860 miles…odometer is in km.

Honda Navi 110 cc motor suggested oil change 2,500 miles using .80 quart. Manual states 10w-30

Honda ADV150 suggested oil change 4,000 miles using .80 quart. Manual states 10w-30. Note this is an Adventure Bike/Scooter so it could get used in dusty conditions.

All these scooters don’t use an ‘oil filter’, but all three use something that is shaped like a thimble made out of stainless steel screen with about the same mesh. Nothing to capture any fine particles. These screens are washable. Just seems strange the suggested oil change intervals an all over the place. Any thoughts on this?
Oh …the Kymco and Navi are air cooled. ADV 150 is water cooled.

I would imagine the liquid cooling is the key to longer intervals on the ADV. Much better control of engine temp. Plus the ADV is a much more expensive scooter and may have been manufactured with a little more quality in mind engine wise.

I got no scientific data, but you asked for thoughts, so here they are.
- ADV150 is fuel injected = more control over combustion and less fuel making it in the oil.
- Honda NAVI is carbureted = more fuel dilution, so shorter interval. Plus being air-cooled likely has an impact on OCI length.
- Kymco People 150 is carbureted too, isn't it? So same logic applies as NAVI.

Little observation: NAVI is ~110cc, ADV is ~150cc. They are rated by Honda to get similar MPG, 100+. Yet NAVI struggles to reach 80MPG, I've seen as low as 45MPG on a NAVI. All while ADV150 comfortably sits at 90MPG, and some got as high as 130MPG. Fuel injection rules, so does liquid cooling.

The only gears are cam gears (sprockets?) and chain. All scooters are CVT belt drive.

The only gears are cam gears (sprockets?) and chain. All scooters are CVT belt drive.
Since you don't have a need for oil designed for a wet clutch, what oil do you use in your scooters? I'm currently looking for a 10w-40 that is not motorcycle rated that will maximize protection, fuel-economy, and power.

Many suggest Shell T6, but that is motorcycle rated for a wet-clutch. The JASO MB scooter specific oils are hard to find, normally conventional in their make-up, but with boutique full-syn pricing.

The JASO MB scooter specific oils are hard to find, normally conventional in their make-up, but with boutique full-syn pricing.
I doubt any scooter that has a belt CVT "transmission" would call out a need for JASO MB, but might for only "fuel economy" considerations. JASO T903 only shows that JASO MB has different friction properties, and it has less friction as seen in the JASO friction spec ranges, hence JASO MB is only a driver for "fuel economy". I would think most automotive oils are all striving for fuel economy, even if they are not "JASO MB" rated on the bottle.

1689885733299.png

1689886233103.png

Back