Does a magnetic drain plug make more sense on a scooter?

Curious people thoughts. I think a magnetic drain plug on a vehicle with a "real" oil filter is the iffy topic, right? But I just purchased a 2023 Honda ADV 150 and I've got a Goldplug ready to go in for the first oil change. The ADV has a little thimble strainer like most sub 200cc scooters do. Really a rock catcher. This seems like a case where the magnet may actually be beneficial. Otherwise the ferrous particles are just swirling around the engine. Thoughts?

As a side note the actual benefit is certainly questionable. I imagine this little Honda engine will run a long time if serviced reasonably well.

I have a Suzuki scooter and put a magnetic dp in the engine. I think the plug is good for attracting all sorts of things.

burgman.jpg

I had the Gold plug on my Trail 125. Honda screwed us here not putting the 160cc engine in the 2023 ADV.

I had the Gold plug on my Trail 125. Honda screwed us here not putting the 160cc engine in the 2023 ADV.
Agreed. Luckily the 150 is still a great engine in my experience. Of course that's in a PCX since I've never ridden the ADV and wont until April.

I think a magnetic drain plug on a vehicle with a "real" oil filter is the iffy topic, right?
The magnetic drain plugs I have used still catch a lot of metal wear debris that the oil filter can't catch. Mostly during engine break-in. After the engine breaks in, the rate of debris collection goes down pretty good, but there is always something there because engines always wear to some degree no matter what.

Not more sense.... it just makes sense, for every and all sumps when available, including dipstick magnets when there are no drainplugs(like the generator). Definitely not an iffy topic. Just do it!

DimplePlug, GoldPlug, PSR.... are all excellent. Even the generic magnetic drainplug from the local autopart store works great. Looks like Amazon has various knock-offs too.

Some of the plugs came with different socket or Allen sizes. So, you can pick what is convenient for you, depending on thread size availability.

Since oil filters aren't 100% efficient, why would magnets be iffy catching small particles a filter might miss?

I would be curious the know what magnet material Goldplug uses.

Neo magnets start loosing guass around 176 f.

I make my own with samarium cobalt.

The magnetic drain plugs I've put in my cars, trucks, motorcycles at the first short oil change seem to collect quite a bit of ferrous metals during the break-in period. Here's an example out of my truck. Changed the oil at ~1,000 miles on the engine and put the magnetic drain plug in then. This is after a 4,000 OCI (1K to 5K miles on the odometer). Pretty thick layer of ferrous metal, engine was still breaking in. At 50K miles on the engine and typically 5K mile OCIs, the amount went down as shown on the 2nd photo.

1679777119465.png

1679777088909.png

Last edited:
Back