Will BMW ever bring back European delivery?

I'm pretty sure the people that haven't done or have previously brought a car through BMWs European delivery program were very upset when BMW canceled European Delivery. For those that don't know what BMW European Delivery is, basically instead of waiting for your new ride to arrive at their local dealership, the program allows customers to fly to the BMW Welt building in Germany—a part of the automaker's Munich headquarters—to take delivery, and get a tour of the facilities. While I haven’t been able to afford a brand-new BMW, which meant I could never take part in the program, I’ve always dreamed of doing so. I’ve always had grand visions of what it would be like; what sort of car I’d get, who I’d bring with me to collect it, and where we’d take it once it was officially mine. Now, though, those dreams have been squashed before I made them a reality. And that makes me sad. I remember trying to get my parents to go through BMWs European Delivery program back in 2019 when they were looking at certified pre-owned/New BMWs/Mercedes. They ended up buying a 3-year-old Certified preowned E-Class
frown.gif
. One of my close friends from Highschool works at BMWs U.S. manufacturing plant and said BMW plans on bringing back European Delivery in the summer of 2021. But, I haven't heard or seen anything about that on the internet. I wouldn't be surprised if people switched over to Mercedes, Volvo, or Porsche so they can experience European Delivery (that's if they know about the program and are interesting in those brands). I really hope BMW brings the program back. Many people don’t realize that this program exists, otherwise, I feel like there would be significantly more Americans doing it. If dealerships gave more awareness about the program more people would opt to do it since it saves them money. I doubt if you walked into a BMW dealership (before BMW canceled European Delivery) the client-advisor gave you any insight or option of doing European Delivery. So, how is anyone supposed to know it even exists? I heard about it from this forum. I’ve always wanted to buy a brand new BMW in general (or any premium car for that matter), despite being the poor financial decision that all new cars are. There’s just something about the feeling of accomplishment that I want when I can finally pull the trigger on a brand-new premium hunk of German metal and not feel guilty about it. More than that, I’d always wanted that first new Bimmer to be handed over to me in Munich, at the Welt, after which I could take it through Germany, Italy, France, and anywhere else in Europe I’ve always wanted to see. Yet, that day will never come now because BMW’s canceled the program.

How European Delivery Works

Looks like the same thing happened to the Mercedes European delivery. But it might come back, sort of unknown at this time. They offered a decent discount, about 7% off MSRP but only 5% for AMG models. Some dealers would also discount an additional 2-5% on top of the 7% and you didn't pay the destination charge which was typically in the 1k range so that got you some additional savings;. Still even in the US you can sometimes negotiate anywhere from 10-15% off so it's not that big of a money saver. Good excuse to go to Europe though and not have to get a rental car although I'm not sure I'd want to drive a brand new car at speeds on the Autobahn.

Pragmatically speaking, I can understand why they discontinued the program, as it appeals only to a small, but dedicated minority of buyers, and keeping in mind that more than half of BMW's U.S. sales are SUVs, which are mostly made in South Carolina, not Germany.

Of the cars, a 330i with premium package, the standard issue model most likely to be popular with what one here called "wearers" are also being partly supplied by the Mexican factory, not Germany, as well. And those types of buyers aren't going to be hardcore enough to fly to Germany just to take delivery, drive the car around for a week, then wait a couple months for it to be delivered after they return home from their trip.

For the program to return, management would have to recognize the minority of enthusiasts can't be distilled down to cold, hard numbers, and that's certainly not the attitude the company has shown in recent times in many respects, as it has moved closer to the center and its products have lost distinctiveness in chasing the mass market.

If you have the chance to visit, even if not to do ED, I'd still encourage you to do so. The delivery mezzanine is open for all to see, and you can at least get a bit of the experience vicariously through others. During busy times, they deliver up to 100 cars daily, and the majority of those were from Europe anyway.

Also be sure to book the Munich factory tour in advance, as the space for the ones given in English is limited. When you visit the museum, don't start with the spiral ramp gallery that was the original building, but close to the entrance. It is mostly devoted to environmental stuff. The good stuff is in the newer main building and where you will want to spend most of what time your have. Munich's public transport is great, and the Olympic Park U-Bahn station is just a short walk from the Welt entrance, and across the street from the museum, HQ and factory complex.

Last edited:
I remember when this program started with all of them and it was implemented NOT for enthusiasts, but for those people that went to EU and rented cars. The take and truth was that...if you buy one of our cars these are the benefits..... and it proved true, they also included the shipping to your home country and paid for the airfare and hotel for 3 days. Actually the 1st to do something similar was the french Renault, where you could buy a new Renault and then sell it back to the factory for a set price instead of renting a car, it was decidedly light years ahead in cost and a very good deal (don't know if it is still active)

Had a co-worker who did this every three years with Mercedes. She claimed that there was also some savings in that the car would be imported into the US as used, and not new.

Maybe. All of the german automakers are under intense pressure to convert their fleets to BEV so they need to cut the fat sorta speak.

Also be sure to book the Munich factory tour in advance, as the space for the ones given in English is limited. When you visit the museum, don't start with the spiral ramp gallery that was the original building, but close to the entrance. It is mostly devoted to environmental stuff. The good stuff is in the newer main building and where you will want to spend most of what time your have. Munich's public transport is great, and the Olympic Park U-Bahn station is just a short walk from the Welt entrance, and across the street from the museum, HQ and factory complex.

The Munich factory tour was one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure to take part in. I felt like a VIP watching how they build a car from start to finish.

Good advice about booking in advance!

a while back, when my buddy's Little Bro was Stationed in S.Korea for a while, and in need of a decent vehicle back stateside, I wondered if Hyundai/Kia had a similar option, but never got around to bothering looking into it...

he was sent back to Ft.Hood back in April, and had his neon (My old car) Shipped down.

I asked my friend that works at the BMWs manufacturing plant if BMW is actually planning on bringing back the European Delivery Program. This was his response. I guess only electric cars will be part of the BMW European delivery program

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 417
The Munich factory tour was one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure to take part in. I felt like a VIP watching how they build a car from start to finish.

Good advice about booking in advance!

It's well worth the 11.5 Euro and 90 minutes.

Another Munich must see for anyone remotely interested in science/tech/industry is the Deutsches Museum, the largest such museum in the world. Very old school, and some would dated, but incredibly comprehensive, and that doesn't include the annexes I didn't have time to visit.

The high voltage demo is a crowd pleaser. The collection of computers shows how far we've come, and the mining exhibition in the basement is done up like an amusement park ride. Really shows what humans have achieved, though sadly, that's disavowed by a lot of people.

what about south carolina factory delivery of the bmw x3 and x5? i recall reading a nice review of it on bitog.

It's well worth the 11.5 Euro and 90 minutes.

Another Munich must see for anyone remotely interested in science/tech/industry is the Deutsches Museum, the largest such museum in the world. Very old school, and some would dated, but incredibly comprehensive, and that doesn't include the annexes I didn't have time to visit.

The high voltage demo is a crowd pleaser. The collection of computers shows how far we've come, and the mining exhibition in the basement is done up like an amusement park ride. Really shows what humans have achieved, though sadly, that's disavowed by a lot of people.

I wonder if the tour is shorter now or if I got lucky with a special tour. I went in 2011 and it felt a lot longer than 90 minutes. It was more like 3 hours+ from what I remember.

At the time, I couldn't figure out how to book in advance because the tour information on the website was only in German.

I emailed the sales rep whom I bought a 3 series from, he couldn't help. I emailed BMW corporate (never heard back) and when I showed up at the Welt, I pleaded with the receptionist and showed her the attempts to try to book in advance.

She was so kind and asked me to tour the museum while she would try to find a solution. She could tell that I was a young enthusiast like @mosaud1998

She added me to a group of German school kids with a couple that was picking up their European delivery that day. I was so lucky...

Would have loved to post some photos of the tour but at the time, my camera and cell phone had to be given to staff before we started the tour.

I do have this video of some entertainment that was provided while we were having lunch -

I wonder if the tour is shorter now or if I got lucky with a special tour. I went in 2011 and it felt a lot longer than 90 minutes. It was more like 3 hours+ from what I remember.

At the time, I couldn't figure out how to book in advance because the tour information on the website was only in German.

I emailed the sales rep whom I bought a 3 series from, he couldn't help. I emailed BMW corporate (never heard back) and when I showed up at the Welt, I pleaded with the receptionist and showed her the attempts to try to book in advance.

She was so kind and asked me to tour the museum while she would try to find a solution. She could tell that I was a young enthusiast like @mosaud1998

She added me to a group of German school kids with a couple that was picking up their European delivery that day. I was so lucky...

Would have loved to post some photos of the tour but at the time, my camera and cell phone had to be given to staff before we started the tour.

I do have this video of some entertainment that was provided while we were having lunch -

Lucky :D

My tour in 2019 hit five areas -- press shop, body shop, paint shop, assembly, and engine assembly. They didn't confiscate cameras or phones but their use was not allowed.

After gathering in the hallway behind the Welt gift shop, we entered one of the meeting rooms and watched a short film and were given headsets.

Then we walked across the street and entered through one of the entrance gates close to the HQ tower and museum, not long after a shift was let out.

First stop was the press shop overlook, overseeing the stacks of dies and racks of stamped panels.

Next stop was the body shop, where we could see the robots welding panels together, workers feeding them, and shells moving down the line, from the overhead walkway.

A short bus ride then took us to the paint shop, where another short presentation was given, we were offered BMW Factory Water, and then donned lab coats before being led to the outside of the paint line.

The assembly line was where we actually got closest to the action, right up against the conveyors with dangling parts, and at one point, a crossing used by the workers, with a signal light to control our traffic.

The engine assembly area overlook was the last stop, before existing one of the gates fronting the street that separates the Welt, closer to the U-Bahn station.

I'm going by the 90 minute figure the website says since I didn't keep track, but it was as least that long, and probably between 90-120 minutes total.

I booked the tour about two months before the date of our visit to Munich, and got the last spots. Instead of using email, I called for immediate confirmation. Day of the tour, you pay at one of the reception desks in the Welt, where tickets to the museum are also sold. Aside from booking early, they do warn you that tours can be cancelled, depending on what may or may not be going on in the factory on that particular day, so there is that risk. I'm not sure if they try to notify you of cancellations via the contact information you provide while booking, but I'm glad I didn't find out.

The factory tour is just one of a few they offer. Next time I go back, I'm going to make it a car-specific itinerary, and also take the Classic tour. Was also tantalizingly close to Ferrari and Lamborghini after passing through the Modena area, but didn't have time to stop. And getting to the Alfa museum outside Milan without a car would take some time.

The Munich plant is going to be one of the centers of their BEV production, which is probably why if ED comes back, it may focus on those models.

Last edited:
My tour in 2019 hit five areas -- press shop, body shop, paint shop, assembly, and engine assembly. They didn't confiscate cameras or phones but their use was not allowed.

After gathering in the hallway behind the Welt gift shop, we entered one of the meeting rooms and watched a short film and were given headsets.

Then we walked across the street and entered through one of the entrance gates close to the HQ tower and museum, not long after a shift was let out.

First stop was the press shop overlook, overseeing the stacks of dies and racks of stamped panels.

Next stop was the body shop, where we could see the robots welding panels together, workers feeding them, and shells moving down the line, from the overhead walkway.

A short bus ride then took us to the paint shop, where another short presentation was given, we were offered BMW Factory Water, and then donned lab coats before being led to the outside of the paint line.

The assembly line was where we actually got closest to the action, right up against the conveyors with dangling parts, and at one point, a crossing used by the workers, with a signal light to control our traffic.

The engine assembly area overlook was the last stop, before existing one of the gates fronting the street that separates the Welt, closer to the U-Bahn station.

I'm going by the 90 minute figure the website says since I didn't keep track, but it was as least that long, and probably between 90-120 minutes total.

I booked the tour about two months before the date of our visit to Munich, and got the last spots. Instead of using email, I called for immediate confirmation. Day of the tour, you pay at one of the reception desks in the Welt, where tickets to the museum are also sold. Aside from booking early, they do warn you that tours can be cancelled, depending on what may or may not be going on in the factory on that particular day, so there is that risk. I'm not sure if they try to notify you of cancellations via the contact information you provide while booking, but I'm glad I didn't find out.

The factory tour is just one of a few they offer. Next time I go back, I'm going to make it a car-specific itinerary, and also take the Classic tour. Was also tantalizingly close to Ferrari and Lamborghini after passing through the Modena area, but didn't have time to stop. And getting to the Alfa museum outside Milan without a car would take some time.

The Munich plant is going to be one of the centers of their BEV production, which is probably why if ED comes back, it may focus on those models.
:( I would love to experience this

Back