Will be taking a long trip... ANY RECS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ya'll,

Ok so my 2002 chevy and i will be taking a little trip towards the end of February, the trip will be approx 1600 miles, this will be the longest trip i have ever had it on, its had conventional and synthetics and blends, currently running quaker state conventional. Would like to go back to Castrol, but dont really want edge, cost. I was thinking of Syntec Blend, any ideas would be great, the truck has 97100 miles on it now, it is the 8.1 big block. Winter temps so anywhere from -30 to 35 is what i can expect.

Originally Posted By: Petrou
Hey ya'll,

Ok so my 2002 chevy and i will be taking a little trip towards the end of February, the trip will be approx 1600 miles, this will be the longest trip i have ever had it on, its had conventional and synthetics and blends, currently running quaker state conventional. Would like to go back to Castrol, but dont really want edge, cost. I was thinking of Syntec Blend, any ideas would be great, the truck has 97100 miles on it now, it is the 8.1 big block. Winter temps so anywhere from -30 to 35 is what i can expect.

Split the difference between the Edge and blend and use the Syntec. It is a fine oil.

My choice would be any of the easily available synthetics. The cost differential between them and the blend is negligible. Stop by WM and get a 5 qt jug of QSHP,M1,PP or Syntec and call it a day. None of them are over 23.50 if i remember correctly.

I would not base your oil selection on a 1600 mile trip. My 05 Accord has made the straight shot trip from NJ to FL (1205 miles each way & 18 hrs) 3 to 4 times per year.
Engine runs better with 125K than when new--all on dino

Steve

i will be doing two 1,000 mile trips in the beginning of april.

at that time i will have 4350 miles on my current OCI.

I am running Toyota OEM (what the dealer gave me).

So total OCI is 6400 miles give or take. it does not really make a difference if i change it before or after the trip because either way i will have a longer than usual OCI now, or later.

since it will be highway miles in mild (90 degree) weather it should be A-OK. i may even get a UOA after the trip. i may even go the full max 9300 mile OCI toyota specs down here.

other than that i drive mostly short trips (2 miles 4 times a day, plus weekly trip 40 miles or so)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back