Will be replacing the front sway bar bushings on my 2015 Subaru Crosstrek.

Knocking/vibration sound when going over minor imperfections at idle speed (in drive but foot off the gas)

105,300 miles.

Seems fairly easy, but any tips?

BC3E30C4-3A00-4AAD-A107-597F46CBA37B.jpeg

Reactions: D60
check your LCA bushings. All the subaru suspension bushings of that era dry rot out very early IMO.

Last edited:
Check the sway bar links too. If you need new ones, get the CTR brand which has a nut on the other end for easier installation than that stupid hex key that will strip :sneaky:

I replaced those same bushings on a Forester, and nothing really notable for the install.

check your LCA bushings. All the subaru suspension bushings of that era dry rot out very early IMO.

LCA death wobble doesn't start until 40-50 mph. It doesn't cause any problems at idle. However, OP probably will need them soon anyway, and you can get an entire control arm for $60

I don't know if it matters for a Subaru, but I always apply a thin film of silicone grease or Sil-Glyde on the bushing i.d. so the swaybar won't squeak. Some manufacturers do so at the factory and it is mandatory if you upgrade to polyurethane bushings.

Like slacktide said, check the play in the sway bar end links since those are usually the culprit for knocking sounds.

I don't know if it matters for a Subaru, but I always apply a thin film of silicone grease or Sil-Glyde on the bushing i.d. so the swaybar won't squeak. Some manufacturers do so at the factory and it is mandatory if you upgrade to polyurethane bushings.

Like slacktide said, check the play in the sway bar end links since those are usually the culprit for knocking sounds.
Would DuPont Teflon dry film spray work instead of silicone spray?

Would DuPont Teflon dry film spray work instead of silicone spray?

It might be OK, but I typically use the silicone grease, not spray liquid. Some manufacturers use white lithium grease instead of silicone. The grease paste will not wear off nearly as quick as the liquid film.

Back