WikiHow to Change the Oil in Your Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's informative. I didn't see anything in there that was incorrect as far as oil changes went, but I think there is a LOT in the grammar / spelling area that needs cleaned up.

I would beg to differ...It states not to drive on what they call flush oils. That being 0W20! That is what I use in my Civic Hybrid as per recommended viscosity.

"OPTIONAL STEP: flushing engine without using chemicals. All engines, new or old, build up sludge in areas that do not drain by themselves. This sludge can be flushed out using "oil flush" method. To do so, purchase a gallon of the most cost efficient oil in your engine viscosity range (this will be your flush oil); gallons are always less expensive than quarts purchase; drain used oil from engine, but do not remove oil filter; refill engine with proper amount of "flush oil"; turn engine on and keep it running for about 15 minutes; last 2 minutes rev the engine to about 2000 rpm and hold it there, this creates high oil pressure that "hammers out" sludge from tight corners; drain this oil. Be very careful - it will be quite hot! You will notice that flush oil comes out very dirty and darkened; then proceed to filter change/refill with regular oil. Some companies, like AMSOIL, sell 0 viscosity oils (0W20), those are normally used for flushing. Do not drive on flush oil!"

laugh.gif
liar.gif
bop.gif
pat2.gif

yeah, that 0W20/flush oil comment really threw me.
And I like thepart wherehe says that most engines take 4qts, so put in 4 and start/stop it to before you check. Then he adds that a Benz (or BMW) take 8qts. well, then starting the engine on 4qts would be a BIG no-no. I hope MB and BMW owners catch that before changing their own oil.
Why not tell them to look in the owners manual for oil capacity? on amsoil.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back