Wife wanted a boat, I didn't we compromised and got a boat.

Friend of mine had a boat before and I think he's had it for less than a year now. He seems to like it. Around here, you'd have to have a place to store the boat which isn't that easy in the city as land is a premium and not everyone has a big yard. Then there's the hassle of taking the boat in and out of the water, the slip fees are high and getting a mooring can involve long waiting lists. I did get a rid with him, pretty easy, hopped on the boat, went for a ride for a few hours, came back, dropped it off with the boat staff and just paid for gas and that was it.
It is a great option for some folks, a lot actually, funny I have a friend who has a larger boat and also belongs to Freedom so he can just go out and do whatever w/ no hassle and not feed two thirsty Yamaha's..... It also brings a lot of folks into the hobby by making it easier and accessible, which is good in the long term; keeps new blood in the hobby.

Boat looks great, good luck ... and yeah, I know about the "wife" thing. 3 years ago she wanted to get back into boating, I was still enjoying the motorcycle.... but its ok, I like boats too, just a lot to take care of in my life... *LOL*

Watch the injectors in that engine, IIRC they are Ficht or possibly ETEC. I can service ETEC but its expensive to service and very expensive to buy them, I don't like doing do the Ficht, too many problems and parts availability issues with them.
Proper storage is everything with these injectors. Which ones are in this engine?
My 99 Ocean Pro 150 was carbed.
Ran good. Smoked/shook a bit at idle.
Had Good luck with Pennzoil Marine XLF.

It can't be any worse than keeping a travel trailer running. Have fun with it!

Travel trailers are a fairly cheap date compared to a boat.

an older outboard is usually pretty cheap to own and run.

A high performance I/O is brutal.

1628947539165.jpg
If the wife wants a boat compromise and get one of these. :LOL:

Travel trailers are a fairly cheap date compared to a boat.

an older outboard is usually pretty cheap to own and run.

A high performance I/O is brutal.
After having the boat for 3 months now and running it about 35 hours I believe your statement about the the older outboard is spot on.
I see a lot of problem with the I/O ones at my local marina.

After having the boat for 3 months now and running it about 35 hours I believe your statement about the the older outboard is spot on.
I see a lot of problem with the I/O ones at my local marina.
Agree... Going forward I see either outboards or inboards for us. IMO, i/o's are the worse of both worlds as far as complexity, access, serviceability, etc., for admittedly better handling in reverse than inboards and better looks that outboards.

Did we ever get to intended use? Lots of salmon up that way, other fish too. I know a couple who bought a large boat for Lake Superior, they have a ‘no fishing’ policy, think it will stink up the boat. There’s is more a cruiser, not even for skiing as far as I see.

Boats usually follow a pattern in ownership.

1. You’re a young man and your friends have boats. If it’s important enough you take out a loan and buy a boat just a bit faster than your buddies.
2. If it’s working out, you buy a faster boat and sell the first one without actually paying off the loan.
3. The kids come a long and you buy a family boat.
4. The kids grow up a bit and you buy a water sports boat.
5. The kids move away and now it’s just you and your old buddies so now you buy a high horsepower bass boat.
6. Your kids are older now and want to borrow your water sports boat. Add in costs for damaged props and accidentally severed anchor ropes.
7. The grandkids want to go on “ grandpa’s boat “.
8. It’s about here when your kids are supposed “ man up” and buy their own **** boat.
9. They don’t so you buy a pontoon boat to take everyone.
10. You retire and can’t afford new boats. You nurse along one of your old boats, usually something obsolete like boat with a two cycle engine from the “glory days”.
11. You and your old buddies from step one and two take out an old outboard and go fishing.
10 and 11 are so 1990/2000's. Should be revised to old 4 stroke.

I have owned boats for several years. My 07 Lund Gran Sport is my current boat and it's a 115 hp 4 stroke. I use it mainly for walleye fishing. I haven't had too many problems with it or previous boats all with outboards. The only downside is I pay $80.00 to store it per month and it's 130 miles away one way. The good walleye fishing makes it worthwhile. The storage shed is nice too and only 3 miles from the river. It's interstate all the way for me and the drive back and forth is pretty easy. I usually get up and leave for fishing at 6am and quit around 2pm. If I go much longer it gets to be an extremely long day and the heat, wind, sun or rain can beat the crap out of you. I am glad I am still healthy enough to enjoy it because some day it will be too much of a hassle. At that time maybe I would sell it and get a Hellcat or a Zl-1 Camaro to keep my Corvette company.

Back