Wife wanted a boat, I didn't we compromised and got a boat.

Watch the injectors in that engine, IIRC they are Ficht or possibly ETEC. I can service ETEC but its expensive to service and very expensive to buy them, I don't like doing do the Ficht, too many problems and parts availability issues with them.
Proper storage is everything with these injectors. Which ones are in this engine?
I have no idea. I have to look. It was recently serviced. It has like 480 hours on it in 23 years.

Very nice! I toured the factory when they built them in Oregon. Owned a Seaswirl cuddy OB years ago.

I had a 18 ft. Chrysler Buccaneer Sailboat for more than 30 years. Over all those years eventually there was possibly not one part on it that I did not at some time work on and give it some kind of special attention. From center board hinge mount, to pulleys at the top of the mast, wind direction indicator on top of mast, from bow to stern, there was at some time something that needed worked on. I have painted its top and bottom, wired its lights and, installed bilge pumps, had custom rain cover made for it, bought new main sail and jib ( it did not have a Spinnaker sail, and I never did install one ). I added a Jiffy Reef, motor, motor raising bracket with vibration dampening mounts, fire extinguisher, night time mast lights top multi color and lower power bulb so it did not drain the battery as fast ( I did not need ocean rated range visibility on lakes only a few miles wide, and white forward all around light on mast above where jib mounts to mast, and bow and stern light, battery holder, redundant connectors of mast wiring, battery, lines ( oh boy did I put some money into all the different lines ), life jackets for adults and children, redid the wood work several times, new cleats for jib, cable covers so jib lines do not fray on metal mast cables, bungee cords for back hatch, and to hold boat to trailer, new front bar on trailer, new front trailer jack with wheel, new carpet on trailer, new tires, new bearings, first aid kit, flairs, and probably several more things I forgot about.

Boats are a lot of fun, and a lot of work.

Boats are a hole in the water that you throw money into. And the bigger the hole, the more money you have to throw into it. And it is a never ending expense. As long as you own it, there will be something that requires attention, and with that attention comes expenses.

I had a 18 ft. Chrysler Buccaneer Sailboat for more than 30 years. Over all those years eventually there was possibly not one part on it that I did not at some time work on and give it some kind of special attention. From center board hinge mount, to pulleys at the top of the mast, wind direction indicator on top of mast, from bow to stern, there was at some time something that needed worked on. I have painted its top and bottom, wired its lights and, installed bilge pumps, had custom rain cover made for it, bought new main sail and jib ( it did not have a Spinnaker sail, and I never did install one ). I added a Jiffy Reef, motor, motor raising bracket with vibration dampening mounts, fire extinguisher, night time mast lights top multi color and lower power bulb so it did not drain the battery as fast ( I did not need ocean rated range visibility on lakes only a few miles wide, and white forward all around light on mast above where jib mounts to mast, and bow and stern light, battery holder, redundant connectors of mast wiring, battery, lines ( oh boy did I put some money into all the different lines ), life jackets for adults and children, redid the wood work several times, new cleats for jib, cable covers so jib lines do not fray on metal mast cables, bungee cords for back hatch, and to hold boat to trailer, new front bar on trailer, new front trailer jack with wheel, new carpet on trailer, new tires, new bearings, first aid kit, flairs, and probably several more things I forgot about.

Boats are a lot of fun, and a lot of work.

Boats are a hole in the water that you throw money into. And the bigger the hole, the more money you have to throw into it. And it is a never ending expense. As long as you own it, there will be something that requires attention, and with that attention comes expenses.
Kinda like wives! :D

I spent a little time with it today. New Radio, cleaned up some wiring sorted out the trim tabs(just needed fluid and a clamp)
Washed and waxed it. I have to pack the wheel bearings and go over the trailer.
20210723_185031.jpg

20210723_185049.jpg

20210723_185013.jpg

20210723_185020.jpg

20210723_185005.jpg

What is nice is the boat ramp is like 5 mins away. I may keep it there for a few days while go over the trailer. Has a nice big boat ramp.
I have found backing up the travel trailer made the ramp really easy.
a1726e457f5db6a218358af349312f076c17c452869fce713a74d275f80b0066.jpg

That is really nice man!

I have a 1996 Striper 1850WA for about 15 years now, it's a great little boat!

Looking to your boat got me some nostalgic feelings since we also had the Ocean Pro when we got it. But we had the 150HP, it was a great engine, but the 6 carburetors and fuel consumption got us to take an opportunity and change it for a 175 Optimax around 2018 (wish i still had the Ocean Pro).

Next time i go out, will try to take a full picture to share!

Good luck with yours!

IMG_20161228_160917068.jpg

IMG_20170915_112656344.jpg

That is really nice man!

I have a 1996 Striper 1850WA for about 15 years now, it's a great little boat!

Looking to your boat got me some nostalgic feelings since we also had the Ocean Pro when we got it. But we had the 150HP, it was a great engine, but the 6 carburetors and fuel consumption got us to take an opportunity and change it for a 175 Optimax around 2018 (wish i still had the Ocean Pro).

Next time i go out, will try to take a full picture to share!

Good luck with yours!

View attachment 64641

View attachment 64642

That is good hear! I wasn't sure at first but after taking it out and spending some time with it, I like it. That is good to hear about the ocean pro. For the most part what I have read is that people like them.

That is good hear! I wasn't sure at first but after taking it out and spending some time with it, I like it. That is good to hear about the ocean pro. For the most part what I have read is that people like them.
Think the infamous FICHT came out in 1998 … my 1996 Johnson still had carbs and VRO …

Have you guys ever heard of a boat club? I think he said he pays something like over $300 a month for it. They have some kind of initiation fee but they run discounts and I guess he got it on some sale where they waived the fee. I think the only drawbacks with it was the limited availability on weekends and you can't take the boat out overnight and have to return it before dark. They have multiple locations around the US so I guess you could travel and get a boat in different cities. You just pay for gas.

Have you guys ever heard of a boat club? I think he said he pays something like over $300 a month for it. They have some kind of initiation fee but they run discounts and I guess he got it on some sale where they waived the fee. I think the only drawbacks with it was the limited availability on weekends and you can't take the boat out overnight and have to return it before dark. They have multiple locations around the US so I guess you could travel and get a boat in different cities. You just pay for gas.
They are great for the occasional boater or someone who is testing the waters (pun, c'mon laugh) of hobby boating and are a great way to go with limitations. They are crazy busy here on the Cape, but to your point, tough on weekends.

Upside is you don't have to worry about maintenance, pay the fee and turn the key....

Boats are a bit of a PITA, I love and own them, but they can be painful....

I have has several boats over the years . Yep everything thing said about them is true. Over maintain them, spend the $$$$ to keep them serviced, repaired and reliable and they are worth every penny spent. Time on the water is special time.

They are great for the occasional boater or someone who is testing the waters (pun, c'mon laugh) of hobby boating and are a great way to go with limitations. They are crazy busy here on the Cape, but to your point, tough on weekends.

Upside is you don't have to worry about maintenance, pay the fee and turn the key....

Boats are a bit of a PITA, I love and own them, but they can be painful....
Friend of mine had a boat before and I think he's had it for less than a year now. He seems to like it. Around here, you'd have to have a place to store the boat which isn't that easy in the city as land is a premium and not everyone has a big yard. Then there's the hassle of taking the boat in and out of the water, the slip fees are high and getting a mooring can involve long waiting lists. I did get a rid with him, pretty easy, hopped on the boat, went for a ride for a few hours, came back, dropped it off with the boat staff and just paid for gas and that was it.

Back