Why the dislike for CVTs?

There's nothing sporty about any automatic tranny.
Sure there is - have you ever driven a dual-clutch trans with paddles? Plenty of "sport" for me! They do offer a CVT in the WRX which is interesting as the auto offering. I've driven a Nissan in the last few years that had a CVT - it's the sound that bugs me...drives fine and most folks that buy basic cars and are not car-people won't know the difference between it and a normal auto.
cockpit.jpg

Sure there is - have you ever driven a dual-clutch trans with paddles? Plenty of "sport" for me! They do offer a CVT in the WRX which is interesting as the auto offering. I've driven a Nissan in the last few years that had a CVT - it's the sound that bugs me...drives fine and most folks that buy basic cars and are not car-people won't know the difference between it and a normal auto.
View attachment 28027

Shifting well is a huge skill, once you take that away from there's not as much enjoyment or "sport". But I guess some people like to pretend they have skills they actually don't.

I'm more interested in watching someone like Keiichi Tsuchiya drive a manual AE86 down a curvy mountain than seeing someone go fast in a Hellcat or Tesla P90. One requires an insane amount of skill, the other requires none.

I'm more interested in watching someone like Keiichi Tsuchiya drive a manual AE86 down a curvy mountain than seeing someone go fast in a Hellcat or Tesla P90. One requires an insane amount of skill, the other requires none.
And the difference to you there is how their gears are shifted?

Shifting well is a huge skill, once you take that away from there's not as much enjoyment or "sport". But I guess some people like to pretend they have skills they actually don't.

I have one of each in my household, I am fully aware of the skill and enjoyment required/involved in driving a car with a stick and enjoy both - the DSG is the best auto I've ever had, so fun in the mountains to bang those paddles like a video game and send it.
manual drivers meme.jpg

I have one of each in my household, I am fully aware of the skill and enjoyment required/involved in driving a car with a stick and enjoy both - the DSG is the best auto I've ever had, so fun in the mountains to bang those paddles like a video game and send it.
View attachment 28057

I understand you. For unskilled drivers, being able to drive like a video game is the only way to enjoy it otherwise they'd be jerking constantly or grinding gears creating a very frustrating experience.

Electric is even better than dual clutch, so don't worry, soon there won't even be paddles. You'll just have to have a skilled right foot.

I understand you. For unskilled drivers, being able to drive like a video game is the only way to enjoy it otherwise they'd be jerking constantly or grinding gears creating a very frustrating experience.

Electric is even better than dual clutch, so don't worry, soon there won't even be paddles. You'll just have to have a skilled right foot.
There is more to driver skill and enjoyment than being able to drive a stick. Why do you care if they enjoy driving their auto and can't drive a manual?

Last edited:

Ruins the market because manufacturers have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Just like when they added fake shift points to a CVT defeating the purpose of it.

Ruins the market because manufacturers have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Just like when they added fake shift points to a CVT defeating the purpose of it.

That’s a poor way to phrase your point. Some of us would rather let the transmission shift itself. If you had to sit in 50 miles of stop and go traffic your left foot might be a bit tired after that. I on the other hand do not have that worry.

This has turned into a page from the FB group - MEJ....manual elitist jerks.

What is interesting is how this thread started out questioning why the hate for CVTs and then evolved into a pro-manual transmission thread, all by the OP himself.

Nothing wrong with a stick shift. I’ve had them and I can still drive them. It’s a personal preference though and a lot of factors drive a persons decision. In my case my wife doesn’t know how to drive a manual so that is that.

That’s a poor way to phrase your point. Some of us would rather let the transmission shift itself. If you had to sit in 50 miles of stop and go traffic your left foot might be a bit tired after that. I on the other hand do not have that worry.

It's not an issue for me, maybe in old age it will be, but most clutches are especially light nowadays anyway.

There's a reason Europe has better drivers, because most of them learn on manual. Knowing how to drive manual well makes one a better driver overall. If everyone had to learn to drive manual the roads would be a lot safer.

I find it funny how manufacturers allow people to "shift" gears themselves when the computer does it better. But with fake tailpipes, fake cabin noises, fake carbon, it doesn't surprise me that people like to pretend.

It's not an issue for me, maybe in old age it will be, but most clutches are especially light nowadays anyway.

There's a reason Europe has better drivers, because most of them learn on manual. Knowing how to drive manual well makes one a better driver overall. If everyone had to learn to drive manual the roads would be a lot safer.

I find it funny how manufacturers allow people to "shift" gears themselves when the computer does it better. But with fake tailpipes, fake cabin noises, fake carbon, it doesn't surprise me that people like to pretend.
Europe having better drivers is debatable to begin with; it has less to do with transmission choice and to do with training, testing, and licensing. There is also a different regard for rules in general.

I'll keep my fake tips too. It's much rather them not be there at all, but if I have to choose between cleaning DI soot and a "fake," I'll take the fake.

Driving a stick does make you a better driver overall IMHO - you pay a lot more attention to things in terms of anticipating. No argument from me there.

And I don't get a ****, getting stuck in hours of heavy stop/go traffic blows in a stick, period. Been there when I lived outside of D.C. I enjoy driving a stick, but that part was never fun to me.

Back