Why the dislike for CVTs?

Yea, I was referring to the way that the CVT works, strictly on friction between the belt and the rollers, which seems pretty precarious. With a conventional manual gearbox, the gears are in constant mesh with the teeth. If that type of gearbox starts to slip, you have done something very very wrong to it haha. Even with a conventional automatic gearbox, the clutches are made out of high friction clutch material and there is good amount of surface area to grip onto.

Not trying to give you a hard time.... I mean this honestly and sincerely.

But CVTs work by coefficient of traction.

Not friction.

The oils in the CVT transmission uses the coefficient of traction to help the belt to grab and hold properly.

Not trying to give you a hard time.... I mean this honestly and sincerely.

But CVTs work by coefficient of traction.

Not friction.

The oils in the CVT transmission uses the coefficient of traction to help the belt to grab and hold properly.

Whatever it is, I can't wait for the electric car to take over, so it doesn't need a regular transmission and all the complexity and repairs.

I am 100% certain that the 4L60E and whatever junk they put in early 90's crown-vic that I kept killing was way way worse than the 6 speeds in my CX5's, which perform flawlessly even past 100K miles.
My 4L60E works flawlessly past 200k miles in a heavily loaded work truck. A previous driver liked to switch gears and hit the gas while still moving in the opposite direction also. That and the fact I've seen a number of them go past 300k miles makes me feel that they aren't that bad.

My 4L60E works flawlessly past 200k miles in a heavily loaded work truck. A previous driver liked to switch gears and hit the gas while still moving in the opposite direction also. That and the fact I've seen a number of them go past 300k miles makes me feel that they aren't that bad.
Mine blew up at 120K miles for the original owner, got it replaced, I bought it at 147K miles, and it had tq converter judder when it got hot. Application was a 1995 Trans Am. I thought work trucks got 65E's?

I’ve never seen an automatic drive past 200,000 miles even with regular maintenance.

As far as I’m concerned if the car isn’t electric I will never own another automatic again, they are all garbage compared to a stick, let alone the unholy terror that is cvt.

Now E-CVT isn’t even a transmission and gets a pass but regular CVTs are total garbage if you plan on owning and not leasing the car
My buddies '06 Duramax had 325k on it when he finally traded it in and my dad's '95 K1500 has 260k on it.

Mine blew up at 120K miles for the original owner, got it replaced, I bought it at 147K miles, and it had tq converter judder when it got hot. Application was a 1995 Trans Am. I thought work trucks got 65E's?
No the AWD trucks and I think maybe a couple other applications got the 65E.

A friend had 420k on his old truck when the frame broke and it went to the junkyard with the original 4.8 and 4L60E. His next one started slipping a bit only while towing, around 250k miles. Our work trucks haven't had any failures yet, though mine is the highest mileage at 201k miles. Original fluid was changed at 192k.

Some of them do randomly fail, but I've seen enough with a ton of miles while being abused, to not consider them junk or even comparable to a CVT (at least the Nissan and Subaru ones).

Whatever it is, I can't wait for the electric car to take over, so it doesn't need a regular transmission and all the complexity and repairs.

And... Not everyone wants or desires to have a ev.....

Everyone should have the liberty to choose what best fits their needs...

Whether it be ev, hybrid, gas, or diesel.

EVs can be great for a high number of people. No doubt in that.

However not everyone wants one or it may not fit their needs or use pattern.

With most manufacturers announcing dates when all they want to produce is EVs, gas powered models will be limited.

There will be some people that will hold onto ICE vehicles for as long as possible, I'm not that concerned about it.

IDK, Been looking around at mid size SUV forums and would be more concerned with the Aisin 8-speed automatic...nobody seems to be happy with them???
I have not had problems with CVT’s, but I maintain my stuff.

IDK, Been looking around at mid size SUV forums and would be more concerned with the Aisin 8-speed automatic...nobody seems to be happy with them???
I have not had problems with CVT’s, but I maintain my stuff.
I've had three cars now with Aisin 8 speeds. The Touareg has the RWD/AWD unit, my Atlas has the FWD unit with Haldex AWD, and my Volvo XC60 had the FWD only unit.

Zero issues.

What are people unhappy with?

Edit: Four. Forgotabout the Q7. Had the same 8 speed as the Touareg.

Last edited:
I've had three cars now with Aisin 8 speeds. The Touareg has the RWD/AWD unit, my Atlas has the FWD unit with Haldex AWD, and my Volvo XC60 had the FWD only unit.

Zero issues.

What are people unhappy with?

Edit: Four. Forgotabout the Q7. Had the same 8 speed as the Touareg.
Toyota forums, HL and Sienna issues from 2017/18, some VW Jetta issues. I think they sorted out all that.
Also, the way Toyota programs 8 speed, it is on lazy side of shifting, and people by now familiarize themselves with much faster shifting, so I think all that contributes to internet chatter.

Back