Why so many cars in one family or person?

I own three, a 2022 Corvette, a 2013 BMW diesel X5 SUV, and a Lexus RX350. I am the sole driver at this time.

The Corvette is a personal toy. It is used for fun, not transportation. About 4000 miles a year, from April to November.

The BMW is my actual transportation for errands and overnight trips.

The RX350 was my wife's car. She passed away recently. I am holding on to it as it has low mileage and I will drive it when the BMW leaves the driveway for good. I don't know when that will be. The BMW currently has 94K miles on it, and runs well, but the ongoing maintenance on it is not cheap.

Well simple. two is one, one is none, 3 is just right.

You got your A to B, your hauler/work horse and your backup vehicle.

Long distance in Texas is a fact of life. A few of my older friends used to measure the distance between Austin and Dallas by how many beers they drink to get there. Also, its all about circumstance for myself, and the right tool for the right job. I let vehicles sit idle and drop insurance when not in use. 🤷‍♂️
Yup - town of 12k - not much of a medical system but being 45 minutes from Houston we get good care - shop there some - normally enjoy a decent meal on these trips …
I head south in the Jeep often - we have drive on beaches …
Kids live 2 hours and 3 hours away … (Tahoe does road trips)

Last edited:
I own three, a 2022 Corvette, a 2013 BMW diesel X5 SUV, and a Lexus RX350. I am the sole driver at this time.

The Corvette is a personal toy. It is used for fun, not transportation. About 4000 miles a year, from April to November.

The BMW is my actual transportation for errands and overnight trips.

The RX350 was my wife's car. She passed away recently. I am holding on to it as it has low mileage and I will drive it when the BMW leaves the driveway for good. I don't know when that will be. The BMW currently has 94K miles on it, and runs well, but the ongoing maintenance on it is not cheap.
So, sorry to hear that. My deep condolences.

States in the US are the size of countries around the world. A personal vehicle just makes sense. My wife and I live in a rural area, but have ~30 min commutes to our nice jobs. I’ll take that over living in the city.

Public transportation is only in the larger cities and is quite disgusting. While I was in Europe, I thought it was disgusting there too. Why are people so hung up on it?

My wife and I have 5 vehicles. It’s a bit excessive, but they don’t consume my time one bit. Everything sleeps inside minus my Blazer.

My wife and I share ONE car. It’s sacrilege here in the US. We can only commit this atrocity by living 1.3 miles from work. I take a bicycle to work, while she has the car. It works for us. Saves money and my waistline.
My in-laws have shared one car their whole 50+ years of marriage.

Many people don’t realize how large the United States is. To put it into perspective, you can put the whole continent of Europe in the state of Texas and Europe will only stick out some around the edges. Look at a map or a globe of the world and you’ll see what I mean.

Also it’s often that, where people live is a long distance away from where they need to go. And we often have many people in the household going in different directions all at the same time which illuminates collusive ridesharing.

We do love our vehicles(sports cars & pickup trucks) and I personally have had as many as five vehicles at once with a minimum of two cars in our household which is what we have now that we’re retired. We have our daily driver and a car that my wife and I have been storing for 43 years to use for the summertime.

Last edited:
Why do men have 2 or 3 suits? Why do women have 10 pairs of shoes? It's personal choice. In Europe, a car, especially after the war, was an expensive luxury. In communist countries it might take 5 or 10 years before it was your turn to buy one. Having a second car was unthinkable. That mentality has probably not gone away.

In modern society, people are super busy. Just look around and it's obvious that we've all gone crazy. People are willing to pay more money, often a lot more, to save a little precious time. That means having extra cars so everyone can get where they are going very quickly, usually in a big hurry and driving recklessly in the process lol.

Even some smaller US states are larger than some European countries. My home state of Virginia is larger and has more population than Slovakia or Denmark, for example, and it's just 35th in size among US states.

In rural areas of the US especially, a vehicle is necessary because you might be 20 miles (30+ km) from the nearest grocery and other stores.

At least for my household, my mom has her 2014 Fusion that she drives all the time and we will take on longer road trips. My 2014 Mustang goes to work almost daily. The 95 Mustang is the racecar project that will never get done. The 2007 Super Duty is the nice comfy truck and the Silverado is the beater truck that I don't care what happens to it.

Back