Why on Earth do you need a 0W anything ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less bugs. Less people. Ice skating. Moose hunting. Funny dialects. It's where they were raised as children. Frozen nasal hairs. Snotty faces. Cleaner air. Cleaner water. Wood fires. Hot soup.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I heard there are more Canadians in Florida than in Canada...

Whenever my wife and I go on a trip to Florida in the winter we keep an eye out for all the Ontario license plates and some places you go you will find 25% of the cars in the parking lot are from up here!

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Because it makes for great stories to tell, like when you get the snowblower stuck on the roof of your house!

Nothing to see here folks...
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I'm sorry you aren't going to see a tenth of a MPG that's all Bovine scat!

I guess it's fortunate then that I've run my fair share of ILSAC & ACEA fuel economy engine tests and know that it is indeed demonstrably true. The only bovine scat is what appears to be coming out of your mouth. I did wonder what that funny smell was...

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I think a 0W is nothing but beneficial in all cold start conditions, regardless of temperature.

Except it's usually only relevant at extremely cold temperatures. Above 0*C, 0w-xx, 5w-xx, and 10w-xx track pretty similar except the 0w-xx will most likely want to shear more at full operating temperature and pressure.

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
Because the alternative is snakes and spiders and gators and snapping turtles.

Spiders aside, I eat the rest. Snake and gater both make great jerky meat. It's warm enough for the tracks to stay open all year around down here. I couldn't imagine having to store the race car for 6 months out of the year waiting for the spring thaw so I can go racing again.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I heard there are more Canadians in Florida than in Canada...
You should attend a NHL game when the Leafs are down there, I'll bet there are more Ontario plates than Florida in the parking lot. It truly is the promised land when the Leafs play there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I'm sorry you aren't going to see a tenth of a MPG that's all Bovine scat!
Based on what test or calculation?

Originally Posted by IndyIan
No termites, scorpions, deadly spiders or snakes is worth something too I guess!

Alas, a relative who lives in Toronto told me last week that their old house is infested with termites. It no longer gets cold enough to kill them off.

What's next? Snakes on a subway train?

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
Cold weather keeps out the riff-raff.

Literally true. The crime rates in at least two cities, Winnipeg and Regina, crash along with the thermometer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SonofJoe

This is simple physics & will apply if you live in Canada or California. This is why the OEMs need you to need 0W oils.

This is where all the half truths matter. Your last statement says it all. The OEMs need us to run 0w oils, not the other way around. The use of 0w oils did not come as a requirement from the field, it came to meet regulations. OEMs can compound even a fraction of a percent in fuel savings over however millions of vehicles they sell annually and get their carbon credits, which could be millions of dollars worth. How much is the customer actually saving? Funny how that is never actually mentioned.
Couple that with an increase in oil change price and the loudly touted savings are highly questionable.

Originally Posted by Shannow
What drives a person, and their family to live and work in an environment that requires a "0W" anything ?

This is intended as light hearted, and arising from another thread, but seriously...

We asked ourself that very question (well almost) after we visited our son newly stationed at Luke AFB west of Phoenix in February of 2004. Sunny, 80s, scent of flowers in the breeze. In NW Pa it was cold, grey, no sun for weeks, crappy old snow no good for outdoor fun. Sold our business, put the house up, got daughter graduated from high school and in June 2005 Beverly Hillbillied our way west to Cottonwood Arizona and have not for one second wished to be back in Rustelvania. Spent a week there 2 weeks ago and could not wait to get on the westbound flight.

Either you love the Southwest or hate it, luckily we both love it.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Because it makes for great stories to tell, like when you get the snowblower stuck on the roof of your house!

LOL. I've never gotten it stuck up there, but I have used it on the roof. Have to be careful not to damage shingles or anything else, but it's definitely better than shoveling. Climbing the ladder with it is not easy, and I'm not sure I would even try to haul it up there now.

The massive snowfall and salt on the roads is getting old. But the one place I've thought of moving to, I can't stand how the State is run. At least for now, the snow, salt, and cold is still preferable.

Originally Posted by Shannow
What drives a person, and their family to live and work in an environment that requires a "0W" anything ?

This is intended as light hearted, and arising from another thread, but seriously...

I have heard many people ask why would anyone live in a place where the daytime temps often exceed 110.

Having lived in both climates, I consider both to be a silly question.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Originally Posted by IndyIan

Alas, a relative who lives in Toronto told me last week that their old house is infested with termites. It no longer gets cold enough to kill them off.
If it is in Metro Toronto, it could be more termites than wood and still be worth $1000000+.

I survived 38 years of my life up north and finally made it to Florida permanently! I love sun shine, heat and water! Now my wife on the other hand hates the heat, hates the sun and really misses the cold and the mountains... I'm still working on that lol...

Besides, I hate 0W oils!! I wouldn't use anything thin and that full of VII's in nothing, even when I lived in the cold!

Bring on the 15W40 and 20W50's!!

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Besides, I hate 0W oils!! I wouldn't use anything thin and that full of VII's in nothing, even when I lived in the cold!

Bring on the 15W40 and 20W50's!!

It amazes me when people refer to 0W spec oils as "thin".

How have i made it this far using 0W-40 in my BMW? Are you suggesting I should use 15W-40 or 20W-50 when it sits outside in northern Wisconsin in the winter? Would that be a good idea? Are there any 15W-40 or 20W-50 oils that carry a BMW spec?

The goofy blind rage devoid of any reason is not helping your cause.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by SonofJoe

This is simple physics & will apply if you live in Canada or California. This is why the OEMs need you to need 0W oils.

This is where all the half truths matter. Your last statement says it all. The OEMs need us to run 0w oils, not the other way around. The use of 0w oils did not come as a requirement from the field, it came to meet regulations. OEMs can compound even a fraction of a percent in fuel savings over however millions of vehicles they sell annually and get their carbon credits, which could be millions of dollars worth. How much is the customer actually saving? Funny how that is never actually mentioned.
Couple that with an increase in oil change price and the loudly touted savings are highly questionable.

You're absolutely right! I have banged on about basic engine oil economics on BITOG on many occasions.

The fundamental problem is that the OEMs have every incentive to get the 'best' (aka most expensive) oil into their engines & set the oil specs accordingly. However the OEMs only ever pick up the tab for the factory fill oil with the incremental costs of 'best' oil henceforth picked up by the person who buys the oil. The OEMs get all of their goodies with none of the associated cost. Perfect for them but not necessarily perfect for us.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
Because the alternative is snakes and spiders and gators and snapping turtles.

As someone born and raised in Michigan but currently stationed in Florida I absolutely couldn't agree more. I'll add to the list gigantic roaches, scorpions, weird grass (we'd call the ideal lawn in Florida crab grass in Michigan). Not to mention 4 seasons is fantastic, mild summers, no hurricanes or earthquakes. Streets aren't rampant with homeless like they are in temperate climates like SOCAL specifically San Diego.

People mentioned outside work coming to an end in winter, I agree and understand but the same is true of summer here. I put off outdoor projects and major vehicle maintenance (anything more than brakes or oil changes) until "winter" in Florida. Which isn't really winter, but more Midwest summer from November thru March. April to October are just too [censored] hot.

I'd absolutely rather dress for cold than suffer in the heat.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

People mentioned outside work coming to an end in winter, I agree and understand but the same is true of summer here. I put off outdoor projects and major vehicle maintenance (anything more than brakes or oil changes) until "winter" in Florida. Which isn't really winter, but more Midwest summer from November thru March. April to October are just too [censored] hot.

That's exactly why so many people from Ontario are snowbirds. Then we get to escape the coldest and snowiest weather of the year and during that time is when SW Florida is at it's best, mostly sunny skies, no hurricanes, 70-85 degree highs (and it's rare if the daytime high is out of that range) We still get to experience the spring, summer and fall in Ontario, which has really good comfortable weather (at least in my neck of the woods)

But if I couldn't go back and forth and had to pick just one, it would be Florida. I can deal with the heat and humidity easily (pools, beaches, AC) but I cannot deal with snow and cold, there's no escape from that nonsense when you're up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back