Why on Earth do you need a 0W anything ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shannow
What drives a person, and their family to live and work in an environment that requires a "0W" anything ?

This is intended as light hearted, and arising from another thread, but seriously...

Most of us live near where we grew up, as is true for me.
I live about 230 miles southwest of the house in which I was raised.
The change in seasons is always nice. Watching the leaves change and then fall on the real deciduous trees we have here is a sight to see. The first snowfall is a beautiful thing and makes for fun driving. A nice fire in the fireplace is always appreciated as is snuggling in bed under flannel sheets and a comforter or two with you wife.
Below zero Fahrenheit mornings are a test of your fortitude and that of the battery in your car as well as the wisdom of the grade you selected for it.
All of this is grand except that winter is too persistent. A couple of months would be great, but the season overstays its welcome around here.
We're North and we're tough. Deal with it.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I heard there are more Canadians in Florida than in Canada...

They'll be back in Canada with 0w after FL gets leveled with Hurricanes.

I love the change of seasons, couldn't live in a place where it was the same year-round. The air cools off, the trees change, then the cold dry 'feel' of winter comes in...just love it.

I also like the 'challenge' of winter - huge snowfall, can I get to work or around? -28C, will the car start?

I'd actually move further north if it was practical.

I prefer the seasons and winter and snow makes everything clean. The crisp air is refreshing.

I've been on a ship on the Bering Sea with -50F and over 100 knot winds and I've been in SE Asia with temps of 100 and humidity almost that. I prefer the cold.

We sometimes get a frost in winter, that's really cold for me. Unfortunatly I can't get a 0W anything for my 2 stroke scooter, so just keep my speed below 60kph....that's WOT and redline.

Originally Posted by Ducked
Caribou?

Apparently not. Season runs roughly Sept - Nov.

https://www.gov.nl.ca/hunting-trapping-guide/hunting-seasons-and-zones/island/caribou/

Maybe Harp Seal?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_hunting#Canada

"In Canada, the season for the commercial hunt of harp seal is from November 15 to May 15.[55] While Inuit hunt seals commercially year-round, most sealing in southern Canada occurs in late March in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, "

So there you go. Thin oil people CLUB BABY SEALS

Last edited:
That's where I differ. I find when it's cold outside, no matter how much I bundle up I can't get warm, even hours after arriving at work I still feel like my fingers and toes are cold. I'm just not meant for northern climates...

Agreed... I'm small boned and never got warm in Winter. Heck, I wear a sweat shirt in the house when the wife has the AC on 74F!

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Agreed... I'm small boned and never got warm in Winter. Heck, I wear a sweat shirt in the house when the wife has the AC on 74F!

I'm the exact opposite. AC on 74*F usually means I'm sweating. I don't let the AC go over 72*F.

Because it's regularly below zero here all winter long. Even if I lived in Florida I'd still use M1 0W-30 in the Tacoma, there's no wrong in oil getting up to the critical parts as fast as possible regardless of outside temperature!

Originally Posted by Patman
That's where I differ. I find when it's cold outside, no matter how much I bundle up I can't get warm, even hours after arriving at work I still feel like my fingers and toes are cold. I'm just not meant for northern climates...

I'm like you trying to get warm. I was born in NJ and lived here for all of my 64 years, the last 40 in the coldest part of NJ. I have chronic Lyme disease which has made my life miserable and even worse in the cold. In the cold I freeze from the inside out, I can never get comfortable in the cold. And winter runs from November through April here. Within a year I hope to be warm in the southwest coast of FL, the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area. When I was young I liked the cold, no more.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by jongies3
Because it's regularly below zero here all winter long. Even if I lived in Florida I'd still use M1 0W-30 in the Tacoma, there's no wrong in oil getting up to the critical parts as fast as possible regardless of outside temperature!

You make a good point. For example, if 0w is good to -40F that is not a absolute. Tests have shown that oil is slower at below zero temps. So yes you can run 5w but the 0w will get there faster. Every second adds up over time.

And then there's me... Hottest city in the U.S., running 0w30 in the summer
grin2.gif

Those who NEED a 0W or 5W are undiagnosed certifiably insane...or Miners. And yes, as we all know, low-vis base oil is made from baby seals and climate change is caused by polar bear flatulence.

Originally Posted by Whimsey

I'm like you trying to get warm. I was born in NJ and lived here for all of my 64 years, the last 40 in the coldest part of NJ. I have chronic Lyme disease which has made my life miserable and even worse in the cold. In the cold I freeze from the inside out, I can never get comfortable in the cold. And winter runs from November through April here. Within a year I hope to be warm in the southwest coast of FL, the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area.

We just booked a flight into Punta Gorda for a 3 day long weekend in December, we're going to stay with friends in Fort Myers. The last time we visited them we went to this shopping/restaurant area near the water in Punta Gorda and it was fantastic! We just love southwest Florida so much! When we start spending our winters in Florida we hope to be on Marco Island but if we can't find anything there then we'll consider any area from that point up to as high as maybe Clearwater. But we wouldn't go further north than that, as we've noticed a few times where some polar vortex's have affected the weather in Florida but the most southern parts never feel the full brunt of that coldness (for instance it would be super rare for Marco Island to ever dip into the 40s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back