Why not super tech syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Branson304
SuperTech Synthetic would be just fine for 6,000 mile OCIs. Seems like a great oil for its price point, but not as good as the competitors that are a few dollars more. Still, great oil for the price & I wouldn't hesitate to run it for 6,000-7,000 miles.

I would not blink at 7,500 or even a 10,000 run if I ever used it.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Super Tech synthetic is good oil.

At regular prices, it would be a good value choice.

But it's not as robust as PU, M1EP, or Castrol Edge Gold.

Shopping the sales, oil deals, and clearances, I've managed to pay much less for my stockpile of top tier synthetic engine oils.

I'm not sure I understand this.

ST synthetic is not being sold as an extended use oil, nor is it priced as such. All the oils you mention are about double the price of ST synthetic.

To follow your point to its logical conclusion, no one should use Pennzoil platinum, edge black bottle, or Mobil 1 vanila or AFE since they don't meet your criteria either.

St synthetic competes with the lower tier synthetics, not the upper tier extended use varieties.

Originally Posted By: meborder
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Super Tech synthetic is good oil.

At regular prices, it would be a good value choice.

But it's not as robust as PU, M1EP, or Castrol Edge Gold.

Shopping the sales, oil deals, and clearances, I've managed to pay much less for my stockpile of top tier synthetic engine oils.

I'm not sure I understand this.

1. ST synthetic is not being sold as an extended use oil, nor is it priced as such. All the oils you mention are about double the price of ST synthetic.

2. To follow your point to its logical conclusion, no one should use Pennzoil platinum, edge black bottle, or Mobil 1 vanila or AFE since they don't meet your criteria either.

3. St synthetic competes with the lower tier synthetics, not the upper tier extended use varieties.

I added numbers so I can translate what I read it to be...

1: True, but it is robust enough (now with that mythical DEXOS rating) that it can go 7.5K-10K. However, those top-tier oils do follow specials that will lower it to the same pricepoint as ST (which rarely/if ever goes on sale).

2: I don't think that is the take away. More that those upper-end oils have advantages in specific arenas and are more robust oils... whether or not an "average camry driver" can use those oils is another question. If you are doing 15K intervals or have a specific engine requirement, those PU/M1EP are definitely the way to go.

3. ST is competitive with "entry" level syns... but those entry level syns are competitive with those vanilla "name brand". For those with "average" use, the differences between the two might not be all that great. Right now, the gap between conventional, entry level syns and even top-tier options are about as thin as it comes right now.

Originally Posted By: Jake777
Anyone have a bad experience with this Supertech Synthetic? I was paying $16.50 for PYB and looking to Maxlife for $17.50 as its Dexos 1 but it looks like the Warren STSYN is Dexos1 as well and it's only $17.89. Why not run it in all cars for 6 month or 6k? Anyone with great experience or bad?

I ran ST Syn in a comparison in our two vehicles for 5000 miles, against M1, Amsoil and VWB. All came out within 1ppm of wear metals*, and all the oils were good to go further. This was on a pair of 2004 Jeeps, one with the 2.4L 4 banger and the other with the 4.0. All the oils were in good condition and the recommendation from Blackstone for the ST was to try 6000 miles. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

*the 4.0 had 5x the iron with M1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jake777
Anyone have a bad experience with this Supertech Synthetic?

I used it in 2 different cars, and they drank the stuff like water. Don't know why.

Maybe true, but its still quite a gap.

St syn is about $18, middle tier is $26, upper tier is $28 for 5qt jugs. That's a significant spread in my book. If I was going to use a conventional or blend other than my $2/qt trop artic, I'd jump to the ST syn and spend the extra couple bucks.

Not sure how you guys are getting the extended drain oils anywhere near the price if ST. I've never seen it go on sale cheaper than $28/5 qt. Maybe there is some MIR'S but I've never seen them, not that I look, since I detest MIR'S.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: CT8
Varnish?

Yes. . . . . . . people need to be more varnish conscious and change their oil more often.

How often should "varnish conscious" people change their oil?

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: CT8
Varnish?

Yes. . . . . . . people need to be more varnish conscious and change their oil more often.

How often should "varnish conscious" people change their oil?

Every 3K.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Every 100 miles.

Every stoplight???

Have an IV installed that slowly dumps oil into the engine while the old trickles out onto the street.

St syn is about $18, middle tier is $26, upper tier is $28 for 5qt jugs. That's a significant spread in my book. If I was going to use a conventional or blend other than my $2/qt trop artic, I'd jump to the ST syn and spend the extra couple bucks.

Not sure how you guys are getting the extended drain oils anywhere near the price if ST. I've never seen it go on sale cheaper than $28/5 qt. Maybe there is some MIR'S but I've never seen them, not that I look, since I detest MIR'S.

Right now pennzoil ultra has a rebate of $10 for the 5 qt jugs. Bought mine on amazon for 28. Then -10 = $18.

Depending on the retailer... which might separate the products on the shelf, yes, there is a price-gap. However, the performance "gap" is not really there, including a few conventional.

Depending on the retailers around, you can find the non-extended drain "brand" names around for about the same as SuperTech with the right promotions. Right now, my area will have Havoline (entry level synthetic sleeper oil) for $22 for oil and filter. I have even been about to find $19 QS Syn and $20 M1 on sale from Wally-world. Now, if I was running conventional, I would not spend up for ST Syn, rather, I would case the $10-13 conventional specials... M5K, Formula Shell, $2 PYB or Napa, or even $11 ST Conv. There is no need spending 40% for ST Syn if you are running conv.

I get if you don't want to do MIR... that is fine. However, I got $24 Havoline and WIX combo for $24 and then a $10 gift card. $14 for cost (and I roll those gift cards forward with the next sale, I can commonly get about a $15-$16 oil change with Havoline. Occasionally, I can even get a Havoline MIR on top of that gift card...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Have an IV installed that slowly dumps oil into the engine while the old trickles out onto the street.

/\
WINNER!!!
(virtual high five)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back