Why no common sense while driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Japan people crossing the street NEVER look up at cars...they look down at their feet...why?

Every driver knows that this is SOP for pedestrians, and thus know that cars MUST stop for pedestrians who pretend that they are invisible...

As for accident avoidance between vehicles...and results of accidents...the smaller vehicle has the right of way....the larger vehicle is >50% culpable...if not 100%

It makes for an interesting driving dynamic...and works only because everyone accepts the common "road culture"...common sense comes from common culture, something more Japanese than American.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsfalls
Do people have no common sense while driving? I've had three vehicles totaled by other drivers who were just plain being impatient or not paying attention...

Almost was side-swiped again today because someone trying to cut between two cars to pass, when there was just a red light up ahead anyway. Then starts screaming at me like I did something wrong...Then there's all the ones who drive a foot from your bumper like they're getting somewhere faster.

Traffic would move so much better if everyone would just go in the straight lines instead of worrying about being one car ahead...

Just venting lol, i'm sure theres already other topics like this, but like I said it bothers me more because i'm tired of having my property ruined by people that think it will kill them to get somewhere 30 seconds later.

I'll agree with drivers being out of control. But I don't know about your three totaled cars. Either you have very bad luck or you could be a little more aware and defensive.

I guess I will never understand why shaving a few seconds, or even a few minutes off of their drive time is worth risking their own lives, as well the lives of those around them by driving like a maniac...

Ok lets see -

I've had three vehicles totaled by other drivers who were just plain being impatient or not paying attention...

Almost was side-swiped again today because someone trying to cut between two cars to pass, when there was just a red light up ahead anyway.

Then there's all the ones who drive a foot from your bumper like they're getting somewhere faster.

Traffic would move so much better if everyone would just go in the straight lines instead of worrying about being one car ahead...

...by people that think it will kill them to get somewhere 30 seconds later.

Have you ever considered that the problem might be - You ? Your driving ?

You yourself are basically saying that you clearly get into people's way, and I would imagine you would realize after having "three vehicles totalled by other people" ? and after people yelling at you all the time ? If people yell and honk at you all the time its time to realize you are the problem.

You dont have any right to be in the way of people who might have any good reason for their urgency. Let speed traps and police do their job if they are caught then let them answer to the officer, why do you have to be the self styled yahoo speed police ? just move over to the slow lane and let faster traffic pass. and merge quickly. there is a reason why the on ramp is called the "acceleration lane".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
Do people have no common sense while driving? I've had three vehicles totaled by other drivers who were just plain being impatient or not paying attention...

Almost was side-swiped again today because someone trying to cut between two cars to pass, when there was just a red light up ahead anyway. Then starts screaming at me like I did something wrong...Then there's all the ones who drive a foot from your bumper like they're getting somewhere faster.

Just venting lol, i'm sure theres already other topics like this, but like I said it bothers me more because i'm tired of having my property ruined by people that think it will kill them to get somewhere 30 seconds later.

I'll agree with drivers being out of control. But I don't know about your three totaled cars. Either you have very bad luck or you could be a little more aware and defensive.

2 of the vehicles were totaled in snow, both when I was sitting at a stop sign. My Olds was taken out by a guy in a Jeep with no insurance because he was going way too fast and couldn't stop, and I couldn't get moving quick enough because of the ice.

My S10 was taken out by an older Dodge pickup because the guy thought he could still go 20mph over in snow and ice because he had 4wd, and went right into my lane.

My Neon was T-boned by a lady that backed out of a parking spot without even looking.

I'm not a slow driver by any means, usually go 5-10 over myself, and it's still not fast enough for some people.

2 of the vehicles were totaled in snow, both when I was sitting at a stop sign. My Olds was taken out by a guy in a Jeep with no insurance because he was going way too fast and couldn't stop, and I couldn't get moving quick enough because of the ice.

My S10 was taken out by an older Dodge pickup because the guy thought he could still go 20mph over in snow and ice because he had 4wd, and went right into my lane.

My Neon was T-boned by a lady that backed out of a parking spot without even looking.

I'm not a slow driver by any means, usually go 5-10 over myself, and it's still not fast enough for some people.

Don't be bothered by those who are saying that maybe you're the problem...look at the reply to my post, I was called an idiot for telling someone who admittedly tailgates that he'd better not tailgate me or else...we live in America 180 now, where wrong is right and right is wrong...people who follow traffic laws are considered to be "in the way" and we should get out of the way to facilitate the violators...

Just find it funny that someone would attack me on here saying i'm trying to be the police and I need to learn to get out of the way - I'll openly admit I usually go about 10mph over and even then people will ride your bumper.

It's like the people who protest red-light cameras ... if you don't freaking run a red light, then what's the issue??

Just find it funny that someone would attack me on here saying i'm trying to be the police and I need to learn to get out of the way - I'll openly admit I usually go about 10mph over and even then people will ride your bumper.

It's like the people who protest red-light cameras ... if you don't freaking run a red light, then what's the issue??

It's the new "entitlement" society we live in today...people think they are entitled to do whatever they dam* well please (laws be dam*ed) and anyone who thinks otherwise is just wrong...

Last edited:

What's wrong with getting out of the way? And staying to the right?

I can tell you and grampi are aggressive drivers.

What's wrong with getting out of the way? And staying to the right?

I can tell you and grampi are aggressive drivers.

We're the ones being tailgated and slammed into, and WE'RE the aggressive drivers? You people crack me up! You also seem to be ASSUMING that we're traveling in the left lane of a freeway and driving under the speed limit. That is never the case with me...I'm tailgated on 2 lane roads, where there is no place to "move right." Why can't these people just slow down? Why does everybody have to reach their destination in record time?

Last edited:
^ this lol, I even said I don't sit in the left lane, if someone wants to go faster by all means I let them go by. The accidents I was talking about on here were all deemed the other drivers fault, due to negligence or just plain not paying attention.(cell phones!)

Nowhere on here did we say we were trying to play police. Sheesh!

On a side note, on my way home from work I watched a lady sit thru an entire green light because her nose was down in her phone lol

You're assuming a lot of stuff too. I drive kinda slow, stay out of the way, and keep my head on a swivel. And people don't hit me. I've found that the people speeding down the road aren't the problem. They go past and disappear into the horizon. The people driving in the wrong lanes blocking up the roads are the ones causing the most problems. I just got back from a trip to TN so this is all fresh. Hours and hours of watching people clog the road.

^ this lol, I even said I don't sit in the left lane, if someone wants to go faster by all means I let them go by. The accidents I was talking about on here were all deemed the other drivers fault, due to negligence or just plain not paying attention.(cell phones!)

Nowhere on here did we say we were trying to play police. Sheesh!

On a side note, on my way home from work I watched a lady sit thru an entire green light because her nose was down in her phone lol

Even crashes that are the other person's fault can be avoided a lot of the time. I would have crashed several times this weekend if I weren't avoiding idiots. None would have technically been my fault.

Was mostly talking about the other guy, hatt
wink.gif

I've only seen a few speed-related crashes, this thread was mostly talking about the people that do dumb things whilst driving. Maybe people in your area use a little more sense?

I'm not an aggressive driver at all, if someone looks to be in more of a hurry than I i'll try to let them go by if possible. I was venting about the drivers that switch lanes 50 times to get one car ahead and cutting everyone off.

You have to go to other counties to find worst drivers than here. One time on I-4 I saw literally 5-6 crashes(not fender benders) within 20 miles. 6:30 in the morning, light traffic, no fog/rain. Cars in the guard rails. Cars upside down in the woods. It's hard work avoiding these folks.

Last edited:
You have to go to other counties to find worst drivers than here. One time on I-4 I saw literally 5-6 crashes(not fender benders) within 20 miles. 6:30 in the morning, light traffic, no fog/rain. Cars in the guard rails. Cars upside down in the woods. It's hard work avoiding these folks.

Thats real easy...

Sleep deprivation! Coupled with a bit of panic over-correcting makes for a nice show.

You're assuming a lot of stuff too. I drive kinda slow, stay out of the way, and keep my head on a swivel. And people don't hit me. I've found that the people speeding down the road aren't the problem. They go past and disappear into the horizon. The people driving in the wrong lanes blocking up the roads are the ones causing the most problems. I just got back from a trip to TN so this is all fresh. Hours and hours of watching people clog the road.

Left lane campers frustrate me as much as the next guy, and I stay out of the left lane unless I'm passing someone, but so many drivers these days seem to think they have a right to speed, and they get all irate if another driver is holding them up, even if that driver is going at least the speed limit...I'm all for staying right except when passing, but I also don't think people have a right to speed...

Originally Posted By: grampi

Left lane campers frustrate me as much as the next guy, and I stay out of the left lane unless I'm passing someone, but so many drivers these days seem to think they have a right to speed, and they get all irate if another driver is holding them up, even if that driver is going at least the speed limit...I'm all for staying right except when passing, but I also don't think people have a right to speed...

Speeders don't have a right to speed. They pay for the privilege. I just wish we'd start a campaign against the left and middle lane drivers and let them start paying for their privileges of hanging out in the wrong lane. The middle laners are just as bad. Semis usually can't use the left and the middle lanes muck up everything.

Last edited:

The issue is that lots of people get tickets going right on red with these things, or when they've entered the intersection legally but had to wait until after the red to complete their maneuver (for example, pull into intersection, wait for traffic to clear to turn left - completely legal but would get you a red light camera ticket).

To me I don't see red light running a a big enough problem that the government needs to spend millions trying to fix it, and screw over a bunch of innocent motorists in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back