Why no common sense while driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought about the dashcam idea, but where i'm at if I forgot to take it out of the car once it would probably be stolen... >.< If I did it I would probably have it facing backwards, because everytime I've been in a collision it's someone rear-ending me.

My aunt somehow always gets involved in accident (four total) . It's never her fault. I came to a conclusion that accidents happen often to her because she's poor driver with poor ability to anticipate situations in traffic. She does drive slow and defensive but in today dynamic traffic its just not good enough.

Originally Posted By: Skid
Because people suck. You can learn an awful lot about someone by how they drive.

Generalization.....but a large part of me agrees.
The older I get...the more they SUCK. But, the older I get, the more the good ones stand out as well.

I can't believe the number of drivers who are willing to do very dangerous things while driving just so they can either 1) shave a few seconds off of their drive time or 2) play around with their cell phones. What is so dam important that people have to drive 20 MPH over the speed limit, cut other drivers off so they can get in front, or tailgate? What is so dam important that they have to make record time everywhere they go? What is the big hurry all the time, and why are these things worth risking theirs, as well as others lives? I just don't get it...

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Sad to say it's not just driving. Common sense has become a very rare commodity indeed.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Common sense is a rarity these days.

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Sad to say it's not just driving. Common sense has become a very rare commodity indeed.

+1

Good enough for me....

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted By: linkbelt
This generation has been taught to think that they are entitled to do what ever they choose.
It is all about them and not anyone else!
These people tend to live very unhappy lives and die young.
I just try to be careful so these Jerks won't take me with them on their way out!

And they've said that about every generation before this one.

Ive dealt with horrendous drivers on highways and roads that were 16, as well as 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80 years old.

"It is all about them and not anyone else!"

Im pretty sure they said the same thing about the people in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s...

The last generation was always too conservative and ignorant, the current generation is always perfect, and the new generation is always too wacky and wild.

BTW I hope you all knew my comment earlier in the thread had the sarcasm meter pegged. I have been walking on my lunch break for the past 2 months or so and have lost track of how many times I have almost been run over due to people not paying attention while driving.

I've come to the conclusion if you can't be bothered to use a crosswalk when walking across the street you have accepted your future.

I will avoid you if I must but the car will always win.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
I've come to the conclusion if you can't be bothered to use a crosswalk when walking across the street you have accepted your future.

I will avoid you if I must but the car will always win.

If someone jaywalks, but like makes an effort to move it and get across the street I will give them a pass. I was driving up Pacific Coast Highway last week and people park on the mountain side of the road that is 2 lanes in each direction and stroll across the freeway to the beach. Not like a casual walk but like a good second or two between steps. This is on a section of PCH that is 55mph each way, North of Pepperdine but South of Ventura County Line.

I'm surprised more native Californians do not get smeared when being a pedestrian travelling outside their comfort zone bubble of entitlement.

Nothing is more oblivious of their surroundings than a Californian pedestrian, not even a woman pushing a shopping cart in a grocery store.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I'm surprised more native Californians do not get smeared when being a pedestrian travelling outside their comfort zone bubble of entitlement.

Nothing is more oblivious of their surroundings than a Californian pedestrian, not even a woman pushing a shopping cart in a grocery store.

When my uncle visited from Long Island he was completely baffled at the idea of it being illegal to run pedestrians down. Also red lights and stop signs were merely suggestions.

My mom was born in Queens and when we go for a walk she still defaults to cars having the right of way. The car always wins, even if it wasn't legal.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

When my uncle visited from Long Island he was completely baffled at the idea of it being illegal to run pedestrians down. Also red lights and stop signs were merely suggestions.

laugh.gif
Thats the NE I grew up in.

I always get a bit miffed when cars stop and wait for me. I prefer to pretend am invisible wait for the car to pass and walk behind.

I have issues pressing a button waiting for a sign to tell me when I can cross an intersection with little traffic in it, and I get annoyed when one person needing to cross the road can cause 100 cars to come to a screaming halt.

One day I'll get a jaywalking ticket, if they can catch me. I know they've seen me cutting corners and scurrying across the road way outside the crosswalks. I don't walk in right angles whenever possible.

Perhaps they know I am from the North East where pedestrians are moving targets, not button pushing entitled and indignant sheep.

I have no problem stopping and letting someone cross the street, its when they don't even look and run out in front of you then glare at you like YOU did something wrong...

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

In car parks it's even worse. And you wonder how they don't see the irony when moments later they become drivers!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

My mom was born in Queens and when we go for a walk she still defaults to cars having the right of way. The car always wins, even if it wasn't legal.

I was also born and raised in Queens, and yes, this is the way I still view traffic.

I always wait for cars to pass by, and sometimes it upsets my wife when we're walking that I give the right of way to cars. I have to remind her that I have been hit by cars while growing up, and I would rather not repeat the experience as an adult. I already have 1 replaced hip, and I only turned 40 last week. No reason to go for a matching set just yet, if I can avoid it.

Mostly, I just don't trust other people to do what they are supposed to do, behind the wheel, so I would rather just wait until they go by before I continue on in my own direction.

Sometimes, I run into those few people that insist on my walking past them.
Every now and again, I have to turn around, and take a couple steps away from the street until they get the hint, and drive by.

BC.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
I have no problem stopping and letting someone cross the street, its when they don't even look and run out in front of you then glare at you like YOU did something wrong...

Exactly! There was something they taught us in kindergarten (I can still remember sitting there learning this). It was called "Stop,look,and listen". I swear,either people these days have no common sense,or they just have a point to prove or a chip on their shoulder. OR,maybe they feel that they can win a wrestling match with something that weighs 3000+ pounds?

Why no common sense while driving?

Corrected version:
Why no common sense?

I recently took 3 bus trips (Baltimore to Atlantic City 3 times this summer). While on the bus it was easy to look into peoples cars. I can recall seeing people talking on the phone and texting while driving many many times.

Other day I stopped at a light. Vehicle pulled up in the other lane, and stopped a good 6' back from the white line. Halfway through the red, he moved forward and stopped 2' in front of the white line. ? It's a timed light, with other traffice already in the other lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back