Why no 5qt jugs of 5W40 & 15W40? Price Coercion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I have finally lost my cool and decided to post here. I have come to the conclusion Walmart may have something to do with this. For example, at Walmart you can find brand after brand in XXW30 and 10W40 in 5qt jugs.

This makes great sense as many vehicles have 5qt sumps :)

However, if I want to buy Mobil 1 Truck and SUV/Delvac 1 it is available in 4qt jugs. Same goes for Shell's Rotella or Chevron's Delo 400. Walmart adds insult to injury by rarely stocking the 1-quart bottles of each grade to supplement.

This brings me to some provocative theories.

A)Walmart does not want Mobil/Shell etc to produce 5qt jugs of these products. The reason I would argue would go to unit price points. Perhaps their reasoning is the average customer would not calculate the unit price per quart of a 5qt vs 4qt jug and assume they are one and the same. If Walmart made the Mobil's Truck and SUV 5qt then that would raise the price higher than what Walmart considers "customer palatable" vis a vis other offerings.

B)The bottlers figure the average HDEO operator have crankcase capacities around 7+ quarts. Buying 2x 4qt jugs may be most convenient for them then. This however seems weak to me. In a variation to this vector since HDEO lubricants have lower demand compared to there PCMO counterparts this scheme compels customers to buy more at variable unit prices (multiple lower cost jugs and or even more expensive 1qt supplemental bottles).

Thanks for any light you can shed on this signature BITOG esoterica.

Last edited:
Hi,
outrun - HDEOs are Commercial lubricants and are primarily sold in bulk. Many Fleets for instance buy in 1000 ltr (or so) increments and store in (secure?) bulk tanks

Many Fleets or Commercial users here keep their supply in 200ltr drums. Most NA heavy diesel engines use around 40ltrs at every OC

I always have a supply in 20ltr containers. I have never purchased any HDEOs from other than a Distributor

If you notice, there is a fairly new selection to be made in the 15w-40 WM section and it is in a 5 QT jug.

MC 15w-40

The cost is incredible and probably lends to your theory.

My truck takes 12 quarts, that's um.., oh, yeah, 3 gallons. Also, on most big rigs, the amount required to bring a dipstick reading from 'add' to 'full' is one gallon.

Dave

Well most O Reilly auto stores here sell most oils in 4 qt jugs, even passenger car oils.

My car only uses 4 guarts. Not everyone needs another quart.

It is logical to me being a truck driver, when my big rig shows low on the stick it indeed does need 1 gallon, a 5 qt. jug would kinda screw me up, I rarely add just a quart or two, now my personal ride a Silverado with an 8.1 holds 6.5 quarts so buying a 5 quart jug doesn't help either, I just buy two jugs and keep one set aside for top offs.

I think a 4 qt jug is a better decision for HDEO.

Originally Posted By: outrun
However, if I want to buy Mobil 1 Truck and SUV/Delvac 1 it is available in 4qt jugs. ... If Walmart made the Mobil's Truck and SUV 5qt then that would raise the price higher than what Walmart considers "customer palatable" vis a vis other offerings.

I hope your references to "Truck & SUV" are just a mental flub, because Mobil 1 T&SUV 5w30 is a gas-engine-only oil and not the equivalent of Delvac 1 5w40.

I hope you actually meant "Turbo Diesel Truck". That's the good stuff.

Too many Walmart stores do not even stock TDT in the quart size, so it's an unexpected pleasure to find gallon jugs at some stores.

I think the reasoning goes-your average gas oil change is 5 qts., diesel oil usually comes by the gallon-HOWEVER, in the good old days of CI-4+ Mobil Truck & SUV-it came in FIVE quart jugs back then (& was MUCH cheaper than it is now). I'm still aggravated by how much the gasser oils jumped up, no justification that I can see for a 15% increase!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I think the reasoning goes-your average gas oil change is 5 qts., diesel oil usually comes by the gallon-HOWEVER, in the good old days of CI-4+ Mobil Truck & SUV-it came in FIVE quart jugs back then (& was MUCH cheaper than it is now). I'm still aggravated by how much the gasser oils jumped up, no justification that I can see for a 15% increase!

A weaker dollar and higher priced oil are to blame. They raise the cost of manufacturing, packaging, and transporting the oil.

It sucks and of course it immediately jumps when those things go up, but creep down when the cost to make and sell the product decreases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back