why manufactures doing away with gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I hope they design some form of "fail safe" that even if total power goes out, there is either enough residual power in the circuitry to operate for a few more minutes. But as we all know with designers, they are human and no human will design a perfect system.

Then again, Airbus and a few others are designing jet liners to operate with near identical systems.

For only being 24, I think I am just old school when it comes to things. I want a physical connection I can see to my throttle, brake, and steering system. Not a bunch of sensors. I have seen way too many sensors easily messed up by simple things. At my internship we have sensors wired into a home and we had issues with even temperature changes making them give faulty readings...

I've got no backing information but I think I remember hearing that a lot of the TBW systems have a limp mode where if an APP sensor fails they'll give you some amount of throttle you can use to get the car to safety, although it might just be enough for a high fast idle so possibly not so useful for getting all the way home. My biggest worry would be failure of the throttle plate actuator motor.

I'm not so worried about a power failure since that would lead to more problems than just the throttle in an EFI system.

I historically tend to side with you a little on the physical connections but I'm slowly being lulled into contentedness with the newer electronic systems. I figure if I'm going to work w/ software and sensors I might as well put my money where my mouth is :)

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Fewer Gauges? It's a dumbed down trend for an increasingly dumbed-down world. Quest is right ... it's mostly the public's fault. If we all demanded more gauges, we'd get them.

Instead we get more cup-holders. Why? That's what the great unwashed masses are clamoring for.

If it were up to me, my instrument panel would look like an F-15 cockpit ... yes, altimeter and all!

I am with you brother. When I get into a vehicle, I plan to drive it and not turn it into a couch. Take off the 50 modes leather seat, 16 cup holders, 10 vanity mirrors, and 200 buttons radio and give me some gauge, some low end power, good suspension, big ash brakes, and terrific gas mileage and I WILL BITE every time.

on another forum I frequent, a common question has to do w/ the oil light. most people think it's your oil LEVEL. "I checked the dipstick, and the level was fine, so I kept driving".
the mfgrs bean counters all too often have more say than the engineers. the 1st saturn S series in '91-'92 had an oil pressure gauge, right center between the temp and gas gauge. they took it away in '93. worst part is, the S s eries really needs one, because they have a serious oil consumption issue, never been recalled. many, MANY, saturn owners have spent alot of money getting engine rebuilds.timing chain replacements because of it. (I KNOW people should be checking their oil, but many saturns FROM NEW would consume a qt in 1000 miles or less! do we all check our oil regularly on a new car?)

I agree, the normal person just needs speedo and gas gauges.

All the other parameters should be monitored by Onstar or like service.

I am not paying 15-20 bucks extra a month for a service to monitor my parameters. Sheesh, that is more than i pay for my XM radio.
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back