Why is this oil red?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Just about every Red Line product has a red dye in it.

I have always wondered why red dye in an oil is perfectly fine, and no one EVER even questions it, yet if purple dye is added, seething hate and over the top scorn erupts.

Originally Posted by gfh77665

I have always wondered why red dye in an oil is perfectly fine, and no one EVER even questions it, yet if purple dye is added, seething hate and over the top scorn erupts.

Because their issue isn't with the purple dye, it's the fact that a higher price tag is placed on an average product that also happens to be dyed purple.

When I first ran Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my vehicle, I noticed it drained a deep red similar to what you experienced after my first OCI. In my case, I believe the color was from the dissolution of the light varnish that was present in the crankcase of my vehicle. Which I saw prior to using Ultra Platinum on the filter mount area when the oil filter was off, and then disappeared after I used the Ultra Platinum.

My son has a 2008 Nissan Frontier with the V6. It has developed an oil leak I am assuming from the passenger side valve cover front of the engine. It is dripping down through the alternator and onto the bellow. When I first checked this leak out, it seemed to be red in color and I suspected a power steering leak. After comparing the PS fluid to the fluid leaking, they are different colors. However, the leaking fluid color is almost identical to the engine oil that's in it now. I last changed with Valvoline 5w-30 Synthetic. Does anyone know if it has a reddish tint to it by chance?

I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in the truck and keep int on a separate shelf, andI am always careful to read the jug before I pour in engine oil. Could I have poured in ATF instead of engine oil? Lawd, I hope not!

Originally Posted by dave1251
This and after a week of use straight ATF would look like tar.
I was thinking more along the lines of a mix of oil/atf. But interesting.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Did you check the oil before doing the oil change? That's a habit of mine - it's always good to know the level and condition before you work on the car IMO. In this case, it would have been very obvious if the engine oil was reddish and overfilled.
Of course! That's what alerted me to the color. It was not overfilled though.

A number of engine oils have red dye in them, including of course, RedLine. You never said what oil you or the Tech used.

My answer is the same as Trav's; someone put an engine cleaner in and the varnish is dissolving into the oil.
I did?
21.gif
Quoted below:
Originally Posted by tony1679
I was the last one to change her oil (I know because a WIX was on it and my sticker/mileage added up). Vehicle is an '04 Nissan Altima 2.5L ~84k. Oil and filter were in service approximately 3,800 miles. I used Mobil Super 5000 5W-30 and a WIX filter, and replaced with the same.
I agree, it sounds like BG, but it doesn't make sense why they would just randomly drop it in without telling her on oil they didn't even change. Strange.

Originally Posted by dawgn86
I last changed with Valvoline 5w-30 Synthetic. Does anyone know if it has a reddish tint to it by chance?

Not a chance, been using both Synpower and Maxlife Full Syn for years. It's always clear, or barely golden brown after the OCI, depending on the vehicle. However, I can't speak for SN Plus. I'm still depleting my SN stock.

Originally Posted by tony1679
I agree, it sounds like BG, but it doesn't make sense why they would just randomly drop it in without telling her on oil they didn't even change. Strange.

He was a "long time trusted tech/friend." Maybe he thought he was doing her a favor and tossed a bottle in, on the arm and didn't mention it. While he had the hood up. I'd ask if it concerned me enough, then you'll know for sure or rule it out and chalk it up to the oil is doing some cleaning of varnish.

A formulator can get just about any color of analine dye for lubricants.

Many of us put in tracer dyes for product ID.

Not enough for it to look visibly red...Only red redline I've seen is ATF...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gfh77665

It's not the dye...it's the product under the dye and the claims around it...

The lubrication engineers oil I got awhile back was very clearly red.

I would think if it was atf you would be able to smell it and tell?

I occasionally get oils that drain with a red tint. When I drained oil the last change in my Tacoma I had a reddish hue, same in the 4 runner A week ago.. but that was more grayish black than reddish black like the oil that was in the Tacoma, they were both dealer fills from different dealers in different areas so who knows.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
I am experiencing this periodically with my 2015 Altima 2.5SV. And Trav set me straight on this. I am not getting this with my current OCI w/ QSUD. When I did notice the RED color, I had been using Magnatec.

I did previously own an '04 Altima 2.5S and did not notice this RED color oil in 11+yrs.

I have seen a lot of this RED color in Toyota 4 cyl engines, mainly Corollas of old.

True indeed CB... My lady's 98 Camry 2.2 L did this one time while adding new oil to it... it appeared red on the stick... Weirded me a bit. Once it ran and I checked it awhile later it was clear and light brown and normal in appearance.

Originally Posted by Shannow

blood red.
Not enough for it to look visibly red...Only red redline I've seen is ATF...

In the video Red Line, to my eyes, was definately more red.

How deep a red the fluid may be depends on the ppm of the dye.

50 ppm will tint it red but a more transparent red,

250 ppm will make it look like an ATF,

500 ppm will make it look blood red.

I prefer Chartreuse.
25.gif
I used Chartreuse Yellow in my Yellow Wasp Bar and Chain oil. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreuse_(color) :

Last edited:
A number of engine oils have red dye in them, including of course, RedLine. You never said what oil you or the Tech used.

Somewhat OT, but when my god daughter, trying to learn a bit of maintenance, wanted to do a suck and fill on her power steering because of noise, it turned out to be a good idea. It was a Benz, and when I saw red fluid come out, I saw red, explained to her what was wrong, and she saw red, too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by JustN89

Because their issue isn't with the purple dye, it's the fact that a higher price tag is placed on an average product that also happens to be dyed purple.

Incorrect. RP was bashed mercilessly over and over, many called the DYE itself a "shameful, stupid marketing gimmick".

RL's dye was never, ever bashed, not even once that I saw.

The oil in my Frontier was this color as well and that was with QSUD. I thought that it was due to the previous run of RP.

Now that I've run through the RP stash it'll be staying with the QSUD. I'm curious as to how this recent oil change will look after some miles.

Just changed oil on my Powerstroke 6.7 and used my last batch of Mobil Delvac 5w-40 CJ-4. Opened up container and it looked red as well...did a double take before pouring. All 3 jugs had the same reddish color. However, draining the old oil didn't have red color on the way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back