Why is this oil red?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was changing a family member's oil Saturday, and I was going about my usual routine when
shocked2.gif
WHOA! Hold up! Am I drunk or does this look red?

I was the last one to change her oil (I know because a WIX was on it and my sticker/mileage added up). Vehicle is an '04 Nissan Altima 2.5L ~84k. Oil and filter were in service approximately 3,800 miles. I used Mobil Super 5000 5W-30 and a WIX filter, and replaced with the same.

Yes, I'm positive I drained the motor not the trans.

So I grilled her on what she's done since I last changed the oil. Oddly enough, she did have a long-time trusted tech/friend at the dealer she works at do a drain and fill on her transmission one week ago. I'm 98% convinced he added trans fluid into the engine. He is an excellent mechanic (the best at that dealer for 10+ years), so I really question if he is capable of such an unfathomable mistake. The only other remotely related fact is she also developed a new, very slight power steering leak during this OCI. The only other (not so) plausible theory is that this dealer does have BG additives, and they (for some strange reason) added some to motor oil they did not service. But I am ignorant when talking about anything BG. But assuming it is ATF, how much damage would have been done in a week's time?

I've added pics below to prove whether I am crazy or not. I took pics with several different types of light, angles, and various lighting positions. I used the old filter and a blue shop towel for reference. It just seems so red to me, and it definitely shouldn't be. What do you think? Am I colorblind? Am I right?

I think I may send the quart I saved while draining off for a UOA. Would that identify ATF mixed in?

20190421_011648.jpg

20190421_011634.jpg

20190421_011629.jpg

20190421_011620.jpg

20190421_010629.jpg

20190421_010616.jpg

20190421_010604.jpg

20190421_010554.jpg

If they used a BG chemical in it you may be looking at dissolved varnish. I have seen what appeared to be old transmission fluid coming out. Look at the red tint on this oil from a heavily varnished engine.

SAM_1118.JPG

I've seen MMO and BG turn oil that color, typically it is from varnish being broken down as Trav already stated.

Yeah was gonna say that as my turbine oil loaded up with varnish it would stain cotton cloth red.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I've seen MMO and BG turn oil that color, typically it is from varnish being broken down as Trav already stated.

This and after a week of use straight ATF would look like tar.

I am experiencing this periodically with my 2015 Altima 2.5SV. And Trav set me straight on this. I am not getting this with my current OCI w/ QSUD. When I did notice the RED color, I had been using Magnatec.

I did previously own an '04 Altima 2.5S and did not notice this RED color oil in 11+yrs.

I have seen a lot of this RED color in Toyota 4 cyl engines, mainly Corollas of old.

Last edited:
Did you check the oil before doing the oil change? That's a habit of mine - it's always good to know the level and condition before you work on the car IMO. In this case, it would have been very obvious if the engine oil was reddish and overfilled.

Motul 7100 is red.Castrol GPS was also red.Don't know why,but looked cool.Both motorcycle four stroke oils.

Been seeing the mahogany or red-brown colour on and off for a few years now. Might be something in the additives reacting with alcohol or moisture or both. Be nice to hear from the formulators.

A number of engine oils have red dye in them, including of course, RedLine. You never said what oil you or the Tech used.

My answer is the same as Trav's; someone put an engine cleaner in and the varnish is dissolving into the oil.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
A number of engine oils have red dye in them, including of course, RedLine. You never said what oil you or the Tech used.

My answer is the same as Trav's; someone put an engine cleaner in and the varnish is dissolving into the oil.

I haven't come across any Red colored Red Line motor oil yet. Amber to an orangeish color and green I've seen. Which grades are red?

Just about every Red Line product has a red dye in it.

A formulator can get just about any color of analine dye for lubricants.

Many of us put in tracer dyes for product ID.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
A number of engine oils have red dye in them, ...
At least one major US brand 10W-30 was dyed red over 50 years ago. (I forget which brand.)

Every ATF I've smelled has a unique smell to it, hard to confuse with an engine oil. Did it smell like ATF?

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
What is BG ?

Barry Grant. They make addatives.

Wasn't he the singer from the 70's to early 80's that turned on women with his deep voice, Oh wait! that was Barry White
lol.gif
. My wife's Ford dealer uses BG products and their machines for all non oil change services. I tried to have them do a drain and fill in her 6F35 tranny. They refused and said they ONLY do B&G chemical flushes for $200. Well that wasn't happening so I did a drain and fill myself using Motorcraft Mercon LV for $20. This dealer also charges $90 for a conventional oil change
crazy2.gif
. The wife got treated well and got a decent price for her new 2017 Explorer but the only work they will do on this vehicle is warranty work.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back