Why is Royal Purple so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mark888

Some of the boutique oils with very high levels of PAO "appear" to have problems with API starburst energy saving formula certification, and there have been reports of problems with RP certifications . Of course, if energy saving formula certification is not a major concern, then it might be an excellent oil.

Just to be clear, as the above highlighted statement is inaccurate, there have been no questions concerning any of RP's actual API certifications as we have seen with Valvoline saying M1( 5W-30 I think it was )does not meet the API certification it has. None of the RP oils that carry API certification have been questioned as to whether or not they meet those Service Levels. RP does have many oils that are API certified, including 2 weights certified to API SM( just do not qualify to carry the Starburst ). They also have 3 oils certified as API SL Energy Conserving.

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayCompanyInfo.asp?CompanyID=227088

There were some questions raised by BP in their ridiculous challenge of RP's marketing claims to the NAD that RP was claiming certification they didn't have. I never saw that being done by RP, but even assuming it was, there have been no questions about RP meeting any of the actual API Certifications they have. It was about claims from BP that RP was saying they had certifications they didn't have. Big difference between that and saying there are problems with the certifications they actually do have.

This is how internet rumors start and drag a company's reputation down with no basis in actual fact( not attacking/slamming Mark888 here - just general comment ). People read something but don't get it right, or what they read was screwed up, and then start spreading it around and it morph's into something even more inaccurate as it goes. I am still trying to figure out where the rumor that RP is a Grp III oil started? It is Grp IV.

RP oils meet the API Certification levels shown in the API link above and there have been no questions about that nor challenges to those certifications. Never seen RP actually claim certification for anything they weren't certified to either. "MEET" something they weren't certified to, yes I have seen that, but saying they were actually certified when they weren't = NO WAY!

Now, as to why it is so expensive? You have got me. I see it sell for $8-$9 a qt in national chains and shake my head wondering why anyone would pay that for ANY OIL? I am as big an RP guy as there is but I won't pay that. I can EASILY find it through speed shops and other local sources where I pay the same as I would pay at Wal-Mart for other synthetics. I pay just $5.75-$6.50 p/qt for RP depending on which place I get it from. Might have risen a little recently with their price hikes but I won't be paying more than approx $6.50-$6.75 I can guarantee it.

I think the comments that their price is high because they are a smaller company is probably it. Hard for a small company to produce a premium product and keep that price competitive with the big dog's.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
and there have been reports of problems with RP certifications

Just to be clear, as the above highlighted statement is inaccurate, there have been no questions concerning any of RP's actual API certifications

He didn't say API.
wink.gif

There actually was a problem with claims of API certifications, but it was minor. The significant problem was with their claims of ILSAC certification. From http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001398592.cfm :
Quote:
NAD also recommended the advertiser discontinue its unsupported claim that Royal purple motor oil is “API/ILSAC Certified.” Noting that API and ILSAC licenses and certifications have many categories with different meanings, the NAD recommended that the company discontinue its claim that its synthetic oils are “generally ‘API/ILSAC Certified.’”

In fact, no Royal Purple products are certified to current ILSAC specifications.

There were some questions raised by BP in their ridiculous challenge of RP's marketing claims to the NAD that RP was claiming certification they didn't have. I never saw that being done by RP, but even assuming it was, there have been no questions about RP meeting any of the actual API Certifications they have. It was about claims from BP that RP was saying they had certifications they didn't have. Big difference between that and saying there are problems with the certifications they actually do have.

Yes, I was referring to the BP complaint about RP marketing practices and lack of clarity in their advertising of what certifications they have, not with failing any certifications. There is a link to a news story about that somewhere on this website. My recollection is that RP agreed to modify its advertising claims as a result of the complaint.

I think the comments that their price is high because they are a smaller company is probably it. Hard for a small company to produce a premium product and keep that price competitive with the big dog's.

I think the high price has more to do with the retailers than RP - I think most retailers try to use it as a low volume, high profit oil and add substancially more margin to RP than they do other oils. I also think they do not have MSRP to stop this practice locally.

This is also why RP can be had at significantly better prices online where there is much more competition, thus less markup/profit can be afforded. (And I know this applies to all online products, but price reductions online tend to be proportionally greater when the markup percentage is usually higher).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
I think the high price has more to do with the retailers than RP - I think most retailers try to use it as a low volume, high profit oil and add substancially more margin to RP than they do other oils. I also think they do not have MSRP to stop this practice locally.

This is also why RP can be had at significantly better prices online where there is much more competition, thus less markup/profit can be afforded. (And I know this applies to all online products, but price reductions online tend to be proportionally greater when the markup percentage is usually higher).

If go to the Royal Purple website, select dealers, and go to "buy online", I am sent to this website where the prices for 5W-30 is on sale for $8.99 (but includes free shipping).
http://www.rpmoil.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=8ba94a4d43c25931878ad76ffcdea3ae

Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8

I think the high price has more to do with the retailers than RP - I think most retailers try to use it as a low volume, high profit oil and add substancially more margin to RP than they do other oils.

You mean like Walmart which has built it's reputation on having lower prices???
crazy2.gif
I doubt it.
smirk2.gif

Lets see 5 quarts RP at Wallyworld = $43.35 vs 5qts of PP for $20 or 5 qts of QHP for $18??????
crazy2.gif

Sorry, I gotta have the purple color in my crankcase for when my friends come over and check my oil...
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Oil prices have fluctuated significantly, from low, to high, and slightly lower now. It might depend on how old the retailer stock is as to the price being charged, and in some cases retailers may just be unloading it.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Lets see 5 quarts RP at Wallyworld = $43.35 vs 5qts of PP for $20 or 5 qts of QHP for $18??????
crazy2.gif

Sorry, I gotta have the purple color in my crankcase for when my friends come over and check my oil...
crackmeup2.gif

What sucks for me, is that my MarkVIII takes 6 quarts.

crazy2.gif

I am sure that somewhere in Walmart you can purchase some purple dye to put into your QS or PP.

About your friends: according the FAQ, the purple dye wears off quickly once you start driving, so they are going to have to watch you pour it in the crankcase if they want to see purple.

crazy2.gif

I am sure that somewhere in Walmart you can purchase some purple dye to put into your QS or PP.

About your friends: according the FAQ, the purple dye wears off quickly once you start driving, so they are going to have to watch you pour it in the crankcase if they want to see purple.

WHAT????
shocked2.gif
It doesn't stay purple???
shocked2.gif
***???
shocked2.gif
39.gif

WHAT????
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
***???
shocked2.gif
39.gif

I nominate this for Ludicrous Thread Response of the Month.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike
crazy2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

What sucks for me, is that my MarkVIII takes 6 quarts.

None of my cars takes 5 qts. One is 6.5, one is 5.5 and one is 4.5 so there is always an "orphan" bottle of 5w30 in the garage.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
WHAT????
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
***???
shocked2.gif
39.gif

I nominate this for Ludicrous Thread Response of the Month.
LOL.gif

LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif

I don't think that sale prices or rebates are relevant to this thread, which is about why Royal Purple so expensive.

Somebody brought up oil prices...so I just added that in. Even without the rebate QHP is $18/5qt and QTP is $9/5qts. So RP is almost 5 times as expensive than the QTP. Any price is relevant to me since I buy 1-2 years worth. RP is so ridicuously expensive I would never consider spending that kind of money on it. Just foolish IMO.

You can find it cheap online. Roughly $6 a quart if you buy in quantity. gallon jugs, 12qt packs ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back