Why is Royal Purple so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jaymus
This is the question I got asked by my cousin today. I actually don't know the answer. So, what better place to come and ask than here? Why is Royal Purple so expensive when it isn't any better than other oils you can buy in any store?

It's expensive because of the cost of base oils and additives. PAO's are relatively expensive.

I don't agree with the last premise.

So, it's the low volume, and the fact that it's a decent oil.

And the last part of my post was comparing it to oils like Castrol Syntec, M1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc. I don't think it's any 'better' than those oils, and they can be got in Wal-Mart, Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc...

Not saying it's a bad oil, just saying it's no better than those oils that sell for less. Not to mention, those oils don't shear down ;-)

It's purple? You know, I've never looked....

Shame on me.
wink.gif

Back in the 50s and 60s I used to purchase an oil named "Royal Triton". It was purple and had a strange smell...kind of like cooked cabbage. Was this oil the precursor of the modern Royal Purple?

Originally Posted By: Bob_B
Back in the 50s and 60s I used to purchase an oil named "Royal Triton". It was purple and had a strange smell...kind of like cooked cabbage. Was this oil the precursor of the modern Royal Purple?

I used Royal Triton myself.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
So, it's the low volume, and the fact that it's a decent oil.

And the last part of my post was comparing it to oils like Castrol Syntec, M1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc. I don't think it's any 'better' than those oils, and they can be got in Wal-Mart, Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc...

Not saying it's a bad oil, just saying it's no better than those oils that sell for less. Not to mention, those oils don't shear down

One can get into an endless debate about whether a high PAO content oil is better than a low PAO content oil (or even a 100% Group III with zero PAO), but part of the reason is that RP cost more is probably that PAO costs more money than Group III hydrocracked base stock in most instances.

Obviously, the big oil companies have much better economy of scale (lower manufacturing cost per unit), but they also spend a very large amount on advertising.

Some of the boutique oils with very high levels of PAO "appear" to have problems with API starburst energy saving formula certification, and there have been reports of problems with RP certifications. Of course, if energy saving formula certification is not a major concern, then it might be an excellent oil.

Up until fairly recently Mobil 1 Extended Performance was not an energy conserving formula, and Mobil did not recommend the EP oil for cars under warranty, but they decided to change it so now it is. My guess is that Mobil reduced the amount of PAO/Ester in M1 EP to do that, but I have no proof of that.

M1, Edge, and Royal Purple (non-XPR) are currently exactly the same price in my local parts stores. M1 EP is a buck *more* per quart.

21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
M1, Edge, and Royal Purple (non-XPR) are currently exactly the same price in my local parts stores. M1 EP is a buck *more* per quart.

21.gif

Same here.

That doesn't tell us much unless we know what those prices are.

At local Walmarts here are the prices:

5-quart Mobil 1 $26.00
5-quart Mobil 1 EP $28.50
5-quart Edge 1 $34.00
1-quart RP $8.47 (or close to it)

There is a substantial discount in buying M1 in 5 quart jugs because it is about (IIRC) $6.47 per quart ($6.97 for EP).

Prices in some Walmarts are quite a bit lower if the items are on clearance, which is definitely the case for Edge at some stores.

Originally Posted By: Mark888

5-quart Mobil 1 $26.00
5-quart Edge 1 $34.00

There is a substantial discount in buying M1 in 5 quart jugs because it is about (IIRC) $6.47 per quart ($6.97 for EP).

Prices in some Walmarts are quite a bit lower if the items are on clearance, which is definitely the case for Edge at some stores.

You forgot 5qt. QTorquepower $9 with $10 rebate= -$1
thumbsup2.gif

Bob_B wrote: "Back in the 50s and 60s I used to purchase an oil named "Royal Triton"... Was this oil the precursor of the modern Royal Purple? "

I think that Royal Triton was a Union76 product. There is a least one thread here somewhere. I don't think that is related to RP.

Originally Posted By: PT1

If we start talking about rebates then I guess we to include the $10 M1 rebates?

I don't think that sale prices or rebates are relevant to this thread, which is about why Royal Purple so expensive.

5-quart Mobil 1 $26.00
5-quart Edge 1 $34.00

No way RP is 8.47 at walmart (maybe it is). The 5w30 is 6.99-7.99 at pepboys and advance auto, we live in the same state. Also, I have yet to find a walmart that stocks RP in south florida.

Distribution and market share. Bruce formulates $25/gallon oil with top shelf stuff. If it was marketed, it would have to be $40+/gallon to make it worth doing little more than employing the guys to blend it up and him to spend the time crunching the blend proportions. No profit at all. Now get to the scale where packaging it (bottling machinery) and promoting it get down to reasonable costs ..get a marketing budget..etc..etc. .....
21.gif

No one has stated the *real* reason....

You get what you pay for.
crackmeup2.gif

Or Purple Dye is REALLY expensive?
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
No one has stated the *real* reason....

You get what you pay for.
crackmeup2.gif

Or Purple Dye is REALLY expensive?
27.gif

LOL
36.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I doubt they'll honor the rebate for the Torque Power. The rebate is for Horse Power.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
thumbsup2.gif

I doubt they'll honor the rebate for the Torque Power. The rebate is for Horse Power.

I already spent the $10 check....
grin2.gif

I don't think that sale prices or rebates are relevant to this thread, which is about why Royal Purple so expensive.

Somebody brought up oil prices...so I just added that in. Even without the rebate QHP is $18/5qt and QTP is $9/5qts. So RP is almost 5 times as expensive than the QTP. Any price is relevant to me since I buy 1-2 years worth. RP is so ridicuously expensive I would never consider spending that kind of money on it. Just foolish IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back