Why is Royal Purple so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the question I got asked by my cousin today. I actually don't know the answer. So, what better place to come and ask than here? Why is Royal Purple so expensive when it isn't any better than other oils you can buy in any store?

35.gif

It's of Royal decent, hence the "Royal"
LOL.gif
J/K

It's probably because they are a smaller company and don't have the volume to bring the price down.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Here we go....
07.gif
grin2.gif

It's not an M1 thread!
crackmeup2.gif

~sigh~ I know. But we all know RP lied to us and M1 swore to it.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Here we go....
07.gif
grin2.gif

It's not an M1 thread!
crackmeup2.gif

RP does not sell as much oil as M1, so they have lower volume to absorb their cost.
M1 uses cheaper Venezuela oil, Royal Purple uses more expensive Canadian crude.
07.gif

At the end of the day, no one really knows but Royal Purple.

One thing that is certain is that they are a fairly small company, and it's hard to make decent oil cheap when you're producing it in small volumes.

Another thing is that the high prices help to distinguish them from everything else on the shelf and to give the impression that they are a "boutique" formulator. So, even if they could make the oil cheaper, they might not want to.

Last edited:
They charge so much because there are people who will pay for it.

Usually uniformed, often anal personalties that think the more they pay for their oil, the better it will be and the longer their machine(s)will last.

It's not unlike buying two sweats shirts made by the same manufacturer from the same assembly line. One is a plain shirt and has no brand name prominently displayed across the front or back of it. The other had B.U.M. or NIKE or some other brand name plastered all over it. You can get the plain sweat shirt for $15.00. The other costs $45.00. Why $30.00 more for the graphics? Here's the ironic part...the customer is paying a premium to advertise FOR the company who's name happens to be on the sweat shirt!!! Smart manufacturer or stupid customer???

Bottom line is that people pay more for a product such as Royal Purple oil because they don't do their home work and don't know that there are better products to be had for a fraction of the price. They walk into a dealership selling the product, get brainwashed into buying it, then swear by the product as soon as they dump it into their machine(s). Instant experience!!!

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Why is Royal Purple so expensive when it isn't any better than other oils you can buy in any store?

Small company having difficulty competeing with the other syn oil manufacturers...so in the middle of the biggest recession in 25 years they raise their prices? Maybe they figure they can set themselves apart as a "top shelf" oil by having a "top shelf" price. But if that is the case...why sell it at Walmart? Kind of confusing to me?
21.gif

Well, I guess this is part of the question: compared to say Mobil 1 or Pennzoil, do you think RP has a higher or lower profit margin on each quart of oil they sell?

I`ve got RP in my car as I type. I got it VERYYYYYYYY cheap. I definitely wouldn`t pay full price for it. It`s a good oil,but in all honesty,my car runs much smoother and more responsive on Valvoline white bottle,which I feel is one of the best oils made imo. That`s what I`ll probably be stocking up my oil stash with,Valvoline white bottle.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Grapes are expensive at the grocery store,maybe grape oil is too :^P

You gotta wait till they are a week old and only pay $0.39/lb
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back