Why is PYB 5w-30 the only PYB SN at WM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5w-30 is now SN but all the 10w-30 and 10w-40 I saw was still SM. Not positive about the 5w-20.

Biggest seller would get the first updates? Pennzoil Yellow bottle 5w-30 is easy the biggest seller for them (Wal-Mart and I think Pennzoil (Johnny?))

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Biggest seller would get the first updates? Pennzoil Yellow bottle 5w-30 is easy the biggest seller for them (Wal-Mart and I think Pennzoil (Johnny?))

Bill

PYB IS fine for most people. They dont put the 20W-50 up but its still good.

how many wm shoppers actually want/need SN? If it truly is more expensive to make, it may be a smart move to delay as long as possible in the interest of gaining the price point shoppers who are looking for the lowest priced name brand...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
how many wm shoppers actually want/need SN? If it truly is more expensive to make, it may be a smart move to delay as long as possible in the interest of gaining the price point shoppers who are looking for the lowest priced name brand...

SM was $14 a 5 qt jug and now its $10-$12 depending on which Wal-Mart I go to. No price increase YET...

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
SN is needed for engines with VVT etc.-am I correct?

I hope not. Mine has seen SL and SM for the last 187k miles...

The pennzoil hm i put in my sons saturn is sm but says it exceeds sm and exceeds gf-5. Could this be the sn oil just has not got the license yet?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The pennzoil hm i put in my sons saturn is sm but says it exceeds sm and exceeds gf-5. Could this be the sn oil just has not got the license yet?

I believe that's the latest mix of PYB, but that's what the bottles said after the new formula was released but before SN rated oil went into effect on Oct 1st.

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
SN is needed for engines with VVT etc.-am I correct?

Incorrect. My model was Toyota's first 1ZZ-FE to have VVT-i. It is API SL rated. The newer specs didn't exist when the car was produced in 2000.

-Spyder

I bought some PYB 5W-20 this week at Walmart, and indeed, only the 5W-30 jugs are SN. All SM viscosity grades show "already meets and exceeds GF-5 specifications...", but the only SN so far is the 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
SM was $14 a 5 qt jug and now its $10-$12 depending on which Wal-Mart I go to. No price increase YET...

YB is still $12/jug at mine. Although the HMV went from $14 to $16.50 and the Platinum went from $20.50 to $23.50, the YB is still the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back