Why is Maxlife so popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no one talks much on here about the Quaker State HM. Is it any good? Its cheaper..the only thing I'm not crazy about is that a while back it started coming in with Slick 50 added on the label....thoughts>?

Quote:

I don't think moly is everything, and just because an oil conatins it doesn't make it superior. Maxlife is also only $1.67/qt here, not $2.

$1.67! I should drive down to PA...i paid over $13 for the 5 qt jug at Wally World.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think moly is everything, and just because an oil conatins it doesn't make it superior. Maxlife is also only $1.67/qt here, not $2.

$1.67! I should drive down to PA...i paid over $13 for the 5 qt jug at Wally World.

Look at the date of the original post, 10-02. For some reason Merkava 4 dug up a topic that's 4.5 years old.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Look at the date of the original post, 10-02. For some reason Merkava 4 dug up a topic that's 4.5 years old.

thanks LOL....MERKAVA, knock that #@$%! off!
ooo.gif

I have run all my vehicles on Pennzoil or Valvoline all over 100k many over 200k...going to start the wifes 100k valvoline Toyota on maxlife because it uses 1/3 of a quart in 5000 miles. My neighbors 5 Hondas and Accuras all run on Valvoline....never a knock or ping in ant of them and all get 5-6000 OCI's. I don't know what is in Valvoline but it works.

Was a die-hard Havoline user for many, many years til I came to this board. Don't get me wrong, I still love Havoline; but the Maxlife valvoline oil I tried 3 OCI's ago has become a favorite of mine. I only started using it cause others here were raving about it, and my sister & brother-in-law adore it.

It is now the only oil I will use in my nearing 170k mile rig, and NOT because it's ever used oil, and it doesn't leak it either. I only tried Maxlife out of curiousity, not because this engine needed it.

It does appear to feel/be much smoother on this synthetic maxlife then it did on Havoline.

However, I would never/have never used the valvoline all-climate.

Forgot to add, my last Maxlife regular oci had more oil additives left after a 4k oci then the Havoline synthetic-blend did after only a 2,770 oci.

Quote:

Lets see if Patman remembers which Maxlife he was running back then and then we'll put the thread back away.
grin.gif

IIRC, I was running some of the SJ formula of 10w30 Maxlife, but it wasn't the earliest version of that formula which had over 200ppm of moly but instead was a later version with no moly at all. Back then I bought that oil because I thought it was a low cost easily obtainable oil that had a boatload of moly, so when I got back my first UOA I was not happy. Then on my second run with the oil I believe I put in a newer SL formulation and was also disappointed that it too had no moly.

Quote:

no one talks much on here about the Quaker State HM. Is it any good? Its cheaper..the only thing I'm not crazy about is that a while back it started coming in with Slick 50 added on the label....thoughts>?

I'd like to know, too. I'm a fan of the PZ HM product, just wondering if the QS is a rebadged PZ product, or is it a unique offering in & of it's own?

I am on my first OCI with Maxlife 10w30, at 65K on a Dodge Dakota. The stuff works great, helped quiet my noisy engine, improved throttle response and MPG. Since I live in Florida, I don't have to worry about the sub-freezing cold start problems most of those here have experienced. Maxlife also helped out a worn out old Jeep Comanche pickup I used to own some years ago.

I used Valvoline conventional 10w30 before making the switch to Maxlife. I don't know a lot about the technical specs of motor oil yet, but am learning about it here. I think Valvoline manufactures outstanding products, and Maxlife is doing my engine a world of good. It works very well for me and so far it does what the Valvoline people say it does, so I will continue to use it.

Jimmy

Quote:

Quote:

I'd like to know, too. I'm a fan of the PZ HM product, just wondering if the QS is a rebadged PZ product, or is it a unique offering in & of it's own?

It's unique. Johnny has told us in the past that when the three companies came together, they still kept their own unique formulas and their technical teams are still seperate. Hopefully it remains that way (otherwise a lot of people would lose their jobs)

Quote:

So what's the scoop of the SM rated Maxlife? Does it contain any moly?

If you go to valvoline.com you can look up Maxlife and pull up the pdf file for the product data/information. I indicates SM Maxlife has about 300 ppm moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back