Why I hate retailed Fram filters!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think half the people here are missing the point. OP's photo showed a $3 extraguard in a $9 ultraguard box.

Someone before the OP did the ol' switcheroo and got themselves a $9 filter in a $3 filter box. Check before you buy, else you get a OCOD for the price of an Ultra.

Originally Posted By: howie2092
I think half the people here are missing the point. OP's photo showed a $3 extraguard in a $9 ultraguard box.

Someone before the OP did the ol' switcheroo and got themselves a $9 filter in a $3 filter box. Check before you buy, else you get a OCOD for the price of an Ultra.

No I caught that, which makes this "anti-Fram" thread even more stupid and pointless.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: jacky
i dont think you have a valid complaint

So other filters like M1 are much better that Fram you say? They can afford decent packaging.

Not sure if you saw that one guy had an ultra fail because someone dropped it prior

Not sure I read this correctly. Are you saying that Mobil-1 packaging is better than Fram? Down here, M1s aren't even sealed. At least Fram's have a glued tab.

Doesn't stop WalMart shoppers from switching contents, though. Speaks volumes about WalMart shoppers, not WalMart.

Maybe that's why WalMarts don't carry M-1 filters
smile.gif

Last edited:
I was just at Mills Fleet Farm yesterday and the Mobil 1 filters I looked at weren't sealed. The Fram Ultra was the only one I saw that was.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Their packaging is the worst out of all the filters!

Simple solution. If something as mundane as an oil filter's packaging gets your knickers in such a twist-buy another brand. Problem solved and you can move on to something less trivial.

the ONLY filters that i've seen with any kind of sealed packaging, are the Fram Ultras. and the only time i've run across the filter itself being sealed, were some Wix Filters i bought from someone on here that were from a masterpack, ie: bulk packaging, 12 to a case, no individual boxes, just some shrink wrap encapsulating the filter.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
the ONLY filters that i've seen with any kind of sealed packaging, are the Fram Ultras. and the only time i've run across the filter itself being sealed, were some Wix Filters i bought from someone on here that were from a masterpack, ie: bulk packaging, 12 to a case, no individual boxes, just some shrink wrap encapsulating the filter.

Thats why I said retailed m1 and k&n use plastic

Last edited:
M1 uses plastic now? I bought some a few months ago: no plastic. The k and n filters at WM don't have plastic either. Might be a Canada thing.

Kubota OEM filters use plastic.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
M1 uses plastic now? I bought some a few months ago: no plastic. The k and n filters at WM don't have plastic either. Might be a Canada thing.

Kubota OEM filters use plastic.
smile.gif

From canadian tire and amazon (K&N)

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why is there two filters sitting on the shelf without a box?

I've seen this before in a WM store in my area and wondered the same thing ... I remember seeing a Purolator Classic and a FRAM Extra Guard setting on the shelf with no boxes. The Classic had a WM price sticker for $3.27 placed directly on the filter; I remember thinking -- who would buy that filter just setting on the shelf without a box.

I always check to see what's inside the box before buying. Another reason is to make sure the filter isn't dented from being dropped while in the box or while someone else was handling it outside the box.

I can't stand thieves.

There's a special place in Hades for folks like that.

I guess the only oil filter in Hades is FRAM's OCOD. But it will be swapped into a NAPA Gold box.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I guess the only oil filter in Hades is FRAM's OCOD. But it will be swapped into a NAPA Gold box.
smile.gif

LoL ... it does kind of have the color of flames. BTW, no NAPA Gold at Wally World.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
smile.gif

LoL ... it does kind of have the color of flames. BTW, no NAPA Gold at Wally World.
laugh.gif

Too bad for them
21.gif
lol

The M1 filters that I've ever bought (almost always from AZ when on special) never had any wrapping on them.

And yes, I've seen a few OCODs in Ultra boxes. I always check them before checking out. People probably think I'm about to do a crime doing so. LOL

Originally Posted By: earlyre
the ONLY filters that i've seen with any kind of sealed packaging, are the Fram Ultras.

The local Auto Value sells their house-branded bulk oil filters (common numbers are $1.66 each, BTW) completely sealed in a plastic wrapper.

I've purchased a few of these and they came from the factory in a plastic bag and the extra length of bag is stuff up into the threads. I actually like that better than a completely sealed enclosure.
https://www.filtersandwipers.com/oil-filter/catrol-sfx-premium/

true I dont see why its a big deal..

ever see that movie TOMMY BOY ??

LOL

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of s**t. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me..

POINT is... its whats in the box...

For those of you that remember it goes like this from the movie

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]

Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of [censored]. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.

Last edited:
When I first bought my Outback, I bought a few OEM Subaru filters. They came shrink wrapped in plastic. But those are the only filters I have ever bought which have come sealed in any way. I suspect it is because they are bulk packed, for use in the shop. Considering that shop filters don't have to be stocked on a shelf for display, they can get away with cheaper packaging.

Every other filter I have ever bought, Fram, Delco, Motorcraft, Bosch, NAPA Gold, Wix, STP, Purolator. They have all come in cardboard boxes. And very few of the boxes have been sealed. I just checked the NAPA Gold and the Bosch filters in my garage. Neither are sealed.

I've been doing my own oil changes for over 40 years. Never have I had an issue with foreign material inside the filter. Never had an engine fail because of foreign material. So, as others have said, I'm struggling to understand the importance of this.

So Mobil 1 and K&N filters are sealed in plastic? For the price you pay, for what you get, they ought to be gift wrapped too! With a nice little bow! And a thank you note for being willing to pay so much more than any other filter in their class.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back