Why I hate retailed Fram filters!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their packaging is the worst out of all the filters!
No plastic film to protect from debris, or full sealed plastic that wraps around the filter's box.

I have seen excellent packaging when sent from Fram directly but WHY remove it when selling on retail stores? For example: Mobil1 filters are always sealed unlike Fram

So I decided to open one that was without a seal and see how they look (oil change itch).

This is what I found:

LvuwJ7I.jpg

W5l2t9r.jpg

TL:DR : ALWAYS open them and check that you have the right filter before walking out the door.

Last edited:
I am assuming you are at WM (the shelves appear to be WM) So how is FRAM any different than Bosch, Purolator, Mopar, AC, or Motorcraft in that setting? The same would also apply to every WIX I have purchased at an auto parts store. Aside from some of the OEMs (like Toyota and Kawasaki) nearly all of the aftermarket filters are NOT wrapped in plastic. It is WMs customers changing the filters to save a buck or two--not FRAM.

I think you are "hating" on the wrong thing...

I've used Purolator PureOnes, Napa Gold, and Fram Ultra filters on my car, and I think they were all packaged the same. Just a filter in a cheap cardboard box.

I still check the Ultras before I buy them, they get dented fairly easily-and being the nice guy I am, I make sure the bad ones are sent back (hopefully). There's no padding in the box, if they hit the floor from any height it'll dent them.

Just to be contrarian, I planned to use those OCOD exclusively. I tried one out but I had a little difficulty getting it off the car. My cap wrench fits the Bosch filters better so I went back to Bosch. But WM doesn't sell the Bosch filters I use so I order them from Amazon.

I don't fully understand the last comment. Was the wrong filter in the box? Is the fear that vandals will mix up filters in the boxes to vex the DIY oil changer folks.

Originally Posted By: robo339
I don't see how it's a big deal?

How do you know if it is clean inside?

Originally Posted By: sicko
I've used Purolator PureOnes, Napa Gold, and Fram Ultra filters on my car, and I think they were all packaged the same. Just a filter in a cheap cardboard box.

I have bought Tokyro OEM for Mazda, M1 and K&N, and they all had plastic covered in the filter itself.

M1 and K&N were wrapped around

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I am assuming you are at WM (the shelves appear to be WM) So how is FRAM any different than Bosch, Purolator, Mopar, AC, or Motorcraft in that setting? The same would also apply to every WIX I have purchased at an auto parts store. Aside from some of the OEMs (like Toyota and Kawasaki) nearly all of the aftermarket filters are NOT wrapped in plastic. It is WMs customers changing the filters to save a buck or two--not FRAM.

If Fram produces it, they should come wrapped unless WM produces them.

21.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I believe Fram Ultra has a seal on top of the box. Don't buy if the seal is broken.

I have purchased eight Fram XG filters, EVERY SINGLE ONE had a seal on the box.

I can walk into multiple retailers today and find every single Purolator boxes without any kind of seal on the box.

Pointless post that doesn't provide anything useful on this forum.

Years ago, the Toyota OEM filters (and maybe Honda) had a plastic shrink-wrap over the face.

But I haven't seen that in a long time. As someone else mentioned, the Frams have a plastic sealing tab on the box. The Bosch D+ have a good box. They're better than most.

I don't think anyone is going to tamper with them, and put cyanide in there like the Tylenol thing, but it would be very problematic if dirt got into the clean side of the filter, for sure.

I wish they were sealed, too.

Last edited:
For my toyota matrix application the denso OEM toyota spin on filters have plastic covering the bottom of the filter where the gasket is.

The reason they do that is because they put a dab of lube on the oil filter gasket from the factory.

Nice touch, I have not seen other makes do this.

Allison OEM transmission filters do not have the plastic wrap on them because they found people would poke them with a pointed object in the center to open them and a floating piece of plastic would gum up the works on occasion.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

If Fram produces it, they should come wrapped unless WM produces them.
21.gif

Well...better tell Bosch, Purolator, Mopar, AC, WIX and Motorcraft the same thing then.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why is there two filters sitting on the shelf without a box?

People steal them.

Basically get the OCOD box with an ultra or TG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jacky
i dont think you have a valid complaint

So other filters like M1 are much better that Fram you say? They can afford decent packaging.

Not sure if you saw that one guy had an ultra fail because someone dropped it prior

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back