Why hang your bicycle from the ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just detailed my bike after it had been sitting indoors for about 5 months pretty much untouched. I take good care of it but put it away dirty. It is new from last October or so. I noticed the cassette or rear wheel wasnt perfectly smooth. It was gritty, but in honesty, it did have a fair amount of sand on the bike.

So, besides keeping it out of the way....does it save the bearings, drivetrain, or tires and tubes from flatspotting or having 'heavy' spots instead of being perfectly round and balanced?

Thank you all

image.jpg

If it's good, it should be hung...

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
it just saves space

That and it makes it harder for someone to walk off with it.

Originally Posted By: alcyon
Well it looks cool and it saves space.

+1

And, with hordes of bicyclists riding in my neighborhood in their biking gear, looking cool is a cultural imperative for bike riders here....

I don't think it saves on the tires--maybe if it's stored for years on flat tires, but even hanging it could put weight onto the tires (at work we used hooks on the wall--loop it into the wheel and thus the bike was hanging from the front wheel).

When storing your bicycle, about the only thing you really want to be mindful of (besides the obvious such as heavy objects falling on it) is to not store it in direct sun light or near electric motors that produce ozone. It will rot tires and tubes. This might be no big deal, but in some cases (latex tubes or expensive tubular tires) it can be a disaster. I know a guy who aged tubulars near a window. He lost over a thousand bucks worth of tires just as he thought they would be ready to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back